• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lupin the Third: Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 15 was one of the best, maybe the best in the series so far. This is how I like Fujiko to be written, and her teamwork with Ami was a joy to watch. I felt that the characters were finally being a little more honest around each other rather than throwing snippy one-liners back and forth without addressing any of the issues causing the tension. And I'm really digging that romantic Lupin and Fujiko content. If they can wrap this up in a way that feels like progress has been made - so that we get a full picture of what exactly happened between Lupin and Fujiko prior to this series and then an indication of whether they want to fix it or not, and Ami getting some kind of closure for her crush - I'll be very satisfied. This arc has gotten better with every episode.

The only part that didn't work for me was the stuff with Dolma and the CIA agent. I hope he's deceiving her because if he's genuine, he's a real idiot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
I liked the episode, but the scene in the garage was ridiculous. Not only was not closing the door behind her automatically out of character for someone who's lived behind closed doors almost all her life, and especially given that she's on the run, but it also made her look like a five-year old after Fujiko told her to. Like, "No, I'm not closing the door until you give me the answers I want right now this second!" Her little tantrum also endangered Lupin, so regardless of how she feels about Fujiko or herself, you'd think she'd be concerned about him. Really left a bad taste in my mouth, and it wouldn't have taken any more effort from the writers to contrive a believable way to alert the cops to them.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
See, that's what I'm talking about. Ami using skills she has over the skills she doesn't. Of course the military would have hackable tech, they've had wireless communications and spies in the skies the entire time. Also helps to learn how to throw a grenade, that's useful in any situation.

I don't think Ami was ever ignorant of the Fujiko-Lupin relationship. I'm sure she can imagine they've made whoopie a zillion times. That doesn't really stop someone from having a crush on someone, at least not always (and yes, I said crush, not love). She'll probably get over it eventually, but at the meantime often people who have a crush are happy enough to just be by the side of the object of their affection -- and, in the worst case scenario of not having them, enough that they're happy. Lupin is clearly not, and the unresolved issue with Fujiko is clearly the reason.

If I had to imagine, the ED for this season probably tells most of the story, given the hints earlier in the first arc. Lupin and Fujiko probably got into a more serious relationship, either before or after Fujiko was betrothed to someone else. She ran or was stolen from the wedding, as per her words in the third episode, which fits a scene portrayed in the ED. There was also a scene at the very end of the ED where she leaves a man in the bed, either Lupin or someone else (though I assume the person she was betrothed to, because his hands weren't hairy like Lupin's).
The important takeaway from this I assume is this: that at one point, Lupin and Fujiko attempted a step higher in their relationship, and clearly it didn't work out. Which, I admit, is downright hilarious, because without some serious SERIOUS life counselling, I can't imagine either of them to much commitment -- with him being a thief for fun and a ladies' man at that and her being a professional and a lover of being free in all meaning of the word.

I think the weirdest part of the ep for me was actually Goemon doubting being needed by Lupin. C'mon dude, you've been hanging together for like 40 years and saved his butt time and again. Don't doubt it now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he was really doubting it. It was just comforting words to hide the fear that he really was in serious trouble and they didn't know what had happened to him. "Don't worry, he's fine. He'll get out of whatever he got into even without us."
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Half the countries in the world will disappear.

Why thank you, Thanos.

So it seems like the Shake Hands corporation (seriously, is anyone else getting any Hand Shakers vibes from that, or am I the only one who remembers that disasterpiece of a show?) is not all it seems, and appears to be plotting something against the world at large, which muddies the morality of the conflict a bit, and indicates a potentially more nuanced, or at least more realistic, motive/conflict, so that's good.

I am also enjoying the focus on Fujiko and Lupin's past/relationship; more Fujiko is almost always a good thing, especially when she's written like this. Next week looks to be more of the same, which I appreciate.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Hard to believe I was so excited to see episode 16 and then... this. They should not have ended last week's episode on that big, emotional cliffhanger if they had zero plans to follow through with any kind of resolution. Even after all this time, we still don't know what happened between Lupin and Fujiko that drove them apart, and their dynamics are in the exact same place where they were in the first story arc. It no longer feels like they're trying to tell a good story over a long period of time but more like they just need an excuse to keep Fujiko as a guest star so they don't have to give her something to do every week.

I didn't really enjoy anything about this episode. Fujiko was barely there, which is a total waste. Zenigata did nothing, so why did he and Yata even travel to Padar? Speaking of Yata, has he done anything during the series, other than provided Zenigata with someone to talk to? Jigen and Goemon also did almost nothing. This episode illustrates really well what I'm starting to feel is a big problem in this series in my eyes, and it's the fact that the multi-episode story arcs focus so much on new characters and Lupin that the other four are just kind of there. Granted, it has given us Ami and Albert who I think are the best supporting characters the franchise has seen, but the price is starting to feel too high.

There were a lot of ways Ami's crush on Lupin could have been handled, but "I will become better than Fujiko and try again" was my biggest fear. Figures.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16 was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the previous episode, and it kind of faltered as a conclusion of that arc, given there's still questions about Shake Hands, and Enzo, that have yet to be answered. I can assume they'll carry over to a future arc, but if they indeed do, I hope they'll also resolve the Lupin/Fujiko thing they kind of just pushed out of the way in this episode.

I did enjoy Lupin and Ami foiling the High Priest's plot, using technology, and Dolma's new resolve, and Lupin admitting that his new hacker friend is already becoming a fine woman with her boldness in this situation. Other than that, though, it was missing a lot of the emotional weight of the previous episode. It seems like the penultimate episodes of each story arc end up being better than the conclusions.

Still, looking forward to the next story arc, and also next week's take on Green Jacket Lupin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:07 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It seems like the penultimate episodes of each story arc end up being better than the conclusions.

This is absolutely true, and I think it's because as much as Part 5 tries to act like it's breaking new ground and challenging viewer expectations of the franchise and characters, it's still trapped in the eternal status quo. The longer the series goes on, the more obvious it is. The tension between Lupin and Fujiko was brought up right in the beginning, but I no longer believe they will do anything meaningful with it that would make a clear stance that they will either get back together, or part forever. This is just another flavor of the same on/off dynamic we've always had. Most likely, it'll end with some kind of open-ended conversation where they wonder if they can ever make it work, agree that a thief can never know what future brings and that's what makes life interesting, she rides off to the sunset on her bike, and Lupin smiles wistfully, bla bla.

The second arc introduced some astonishing possibilities, particularly the idea that Lupin isn't a descendant of the original but that the title is just something any skilled thief can claim. Nothing was done to explore this. Albert was brought in as someone with such a huge influence on Lupin that he never wanted to see him again, was completely off his game, and tried to kill him with a car bomb. I was expecting something massive in their past, but apparently all it was is that Albert walked away from their rivalry? Will it ever be relevant that Albert wants to steal France, or are we supposed to think he's content with his current position? The political issues raised in this arc all fizzled out and nothing was done with the black book even though it apparently contained information so vital that it was able to paralyze all the law agencies in France. There was absolutely no pay off to anything except the most immediate threat at hand.

The longer the series goes on, the more disappointed I feel in the multi-episode arc structure. I miss the fun episodic adventures from Part IV.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
We are still getting fun episodic adventures between each arc.

Regarding the third arc itself, I thought it was quite fine. The political intrigue was resolved pretty well. I think we will see more ramifications that will address the loose ends derived from this outcome in due time.

Remember that this is an anniversary project that celebrates the long history of the property. I don't think the series has the absolute freedom required to fundamentally change the core relationship between Fujiko and Lupin as much as some fans would hope for, but that doesn't mean they haven't used their dynamics in an enjoyable manner. Just not in a fully innovative sense.

Furthermore, I think Goemon and Jigen will get more focus in the future. It just isn't going to be the case in every single situation. Giving new characters like Ami and Dolma some room is to be expected when they are more central to certain events.

I am not bothered by Ami having a crush since it's entirely natural for people to feel such things and also not uncommon in fiction. In time, she'll get over it.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
After TWCMF I just can’t take this innocent Lupin/Fujiko relationship drama seriously at all.

Super glad to see Ami back and getting some nice development. She definitely needs to become a permanent part of the team (to, if nothing else, securely fastened fasten Lupin to the 21st century). Even if that means cutting the Always-Poinless Goemon from the group.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Super glad to see Ami back and getting some nice development. She definitely needs to become a permanent part of the team (to, if nothing else, securely fastened fasten Lupin to the 21st century). Even if that means cutting the Always-Poinless Goemon from the group.

So you're basically saying

johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
After TWCMF I just can’t take this innocent Lupin/Fujiko relationship drama seriously at all.

the franchise runs on negative continuity and has been keeping its status quo for almost 50 years.The relationship between Lupin and Fujiko also varies depending on who's writing.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

the franchise runs on negative continuity and has been keeping its status quo for almost 50 years.The relationship between Lupin and Fujiko also varies depending on who's writing.

I'd essentially agree. I would argue that even The Woman Called Fujiko Mine did not radically change the status quo of their relationship. That series approached the material in a new and surprisingly interesting manner by focusing on Fujiko's perspective, but at the end of the story they basically put all the toys back in the box. It didn't lead to a seismic shift.

As much as it pains me to bring this up, because I personally tend to prefer stories where there is a clear beginning and end with tangible changes (both regarding relationships and plotlines), what Stan Lee called "the illusion of change" is still alive and well when it comes to far too many famous properties.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
It's probably just the political scientist in me, but I am really bugged by the fact that right up to the end the sociopolitical commentary falls flat, as the CIA's plan still makes absolutely no sense. As I feared, it seems the show decided to include an anti-American bend simply for the sake of having one, and did no research to justify it within the narrative.

Also, I can't help but find it uncomfortable that the anti-Western, "big bad imperialist major powers" narrative Dolma invokes in her speech at the end, which is framed as the right choice, is strikingly similar to real-world narratives pushed by actual far-right nationalist populists in many countries, justifying themselves. I get that Dolma acknowledged that by doing this she is playing "the villain", but considering the real world allegories this episode really didn't sit right with me, especially considering Japan's recent rising nationalism and rearmament. All in all this episode was politically tone-deaf, and that alone is more than enough for it to have fallen flat for me. Let's hope this show steers clear of politics from now on.
Generations

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Personally, by the end it made sense to me. At first it IS unlikely that the CIA would side with the traditionalist high priest over the king who was bringing in new technology, but we find out that the traditionalist priest was a fraud in every sense of the word. He used whatever means possible to take over, using the 'traditionalist' persona as a way to get the conservatives on his side, but held none of those beliefs himself. Insert topical political joke here.
Looking at it that way, I'd say it makes sense for the CIA to use him instead of the king, because he was easily bought and probably now has a lot of dirt on him, including the truths about his so called 'traditionalist' views. That said, it looked like the king was a puppet of a different group, one that is probably going to be the main villain of the season.

I think one scene pretty much summed up why Lupin and Fujiko's serious relationship didn't work in a nutshell: the scene where Lupin takes the Bloody Teardrop from her, and it's about as much as I predicted. Fujiko stole it for personal reasons, and Lupin is stealing it for altruistic reasons. To Fujiko, taking the treasure is the endgame, and not having gained it is a downside. To Lupin, stealing it is for fun, but not having gained it if it meant something better would happen is not just an acceptable alternative but a preferable one. Clearly they still feel something for each other, but their core desires are still too much on opposite sides for it to really work out. For it to work, one or both of them would have to compromise, and I don't see either of them doing that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10