• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Files Anti-SLAPP Motion to Dismiss Vic Mignogna's Lawsuit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
faboo95 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
But it's a little baffling, and a little terrifying, to hear someone say EVEN IF HE'S PROVEN GUILTY of all of that stuff, Funimation is still in the wrong... for deciding not to contract with him anymore, and tweeting about their decision.

Not to defend Vic or his fans, but they do have a point to certain extent. I don't actually think that a vast majority of his fans are actually saying that Vic should still be active in the industry even if found to be guilty, but that he's being treated unfairly or rashly based on allegations. Or perhaps that even if they had the proper grounds to disassociate themselves from Vic that there are proper procedures that they should've followed to do? (To be honest, I haven't fully followed how Funimation handled the whole Vic nor do I really care)

NOTE: I could've sworn I posted this earlier today, but didn't see it so thought I would try sharing my thoughts again. If it did go up and was actually taken down for whatever reason, I do apologize and assure you that I have no intent on riling things up.

So whether or not you care, Funimation/Sony did an HR internal investigation about allegations of sexual misconduct, found them credible, and decided that as a company, they would no longer work with Vic in the future. Vic said he would seek counseling and get right with God, and then later decided to litigate under the advisement of a couple two bit grifters who were hoping they could get a settlement out of Funi/Sony with their half-arsed defamation suit. That's what happened.

Last edited by SyranoGravely on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Please avoid personal commentary on other posters... and don't respond to them, report them.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Evaunit02berserk wrote:

I don't think Vic is as rich as people think. These stories are still going but the second the Ryan Kopf story got posted, he stamps his foot and the article disappeared, despite him throwing up private pictures and recordings on his public profile. So it shows who actually has the money in this game.
Vic's monetary assets weren't my point, its the fact that its effectively preying on fans to fund his legal campaign. I'll admit I added Falou's worth for emphasis, but for me it came down to the similarities in the case: a public figure screwed up and is preying on fans to pay for legal bills to "fight back" at their perceived injustice. Sadly, in the case of Falou, as soon as it was pulled a Christian lobby group set up their own donation thing instead.

But yeah, in the end even if Vic loses, depending on how much he has to pay the defendant in legal fees there is a good chance he himself wont be out of pocket, much like the Falou situation
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
SyranoGravely wrote:
So whether or not you care, Funimation/Sony did an HR internal investigation about allegations of sexual misconduct, found them credible, and decided that as a company, they would no longer work with Vic in the future. Vic said he would seek counseling and get right with God, and then later decided to litigate under the advisement of a couple two bit grifters who were hoping they could get a settlement out of Funi/Sony with their half-arsed defamation suit. That's what happened.

Thanks for the summary and it's basically what was stated in the article. I just feel I'm not getting the full picture as things might've been said and done behind the scenes. And sorry I just realized that my little comment could've been misinterpreted, I do actually "care" to know and fully understand the situation but just can't bother if it has to do with social media mob mentality nonsense.

And it looks like my last post(s) were removed? Odd since I don't think it fell under the "containing victim blaming, conspiracy theories, downplaying sexual assault ", just that I think there is some rationality behind the "Funimation is wrong" mentality, as crazy as it sounds. That doesn't mean I share the same opinion that Funimation is in the wrong nor does it negate the fact the allegations should be taken seriously. At any rate, the more the legal process gets involved with this whole issue the better.
SyranoGravely

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is that Vic isn't the one on trial here. Texas is an at-will state and decided to stop future work with a contractor--which all of their voice actors are--after a thorough internal HR investigation of his behavior. Which they didn't have to do before ceasing to work with him. Hell, if they wanted to, they could have decided they no longer wished to work with him because they didn't want their booths smelling like AXE body spray. Anyway, if you want to be more abreast of the situation, I recommend checking the Threadnought here:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1139656018261086214?s=19
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Same was true of Scott Freeman, and I'm sure if Freeman had asked his fans for $200,000 to sue Funimation when they announced they had terminated their relationship with him back in 2015, his fans would have ponied up the money for him, too.

Other people already pointed it out, but no I don't think he could have at all. He was a small time voice actor. Not even Jamie's crowdfunding campaign got above $3000. $200,000 is absolutely not a small amount to raise.

DerekL1963 wrote:
The anime community did nothing of the sort. It's the cultists of Vic's cult of personality that did these things. The same ones who keep coming on here and repeating the various lies and nonsense that Vic and his idiot lawyer and various even more idiotic You Tube commentators keep spreading.

You're resorting to No True Scotsman fallacy here. People who watch anime, go to anime convention, peruse anime forums, and talk about anime and all related things are anime fans, and therefore the anime community. No offense, but it sounds like you're just making excuses here.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
The anime community did nothing of the sort. It's the cultists of Vic's cult of personality that did these things. The same ones who keep coming on here and repeating the various lies and nonsense that Vic and his idiot lawyer and various even more idiotic You Tube commentators keep spreading.

You're resorting to No True Scotsman fallacy here. People who watch anime, go to anime convention, peruse anime forums, and talk about anime and all related things are anime fans, and therefore the anime community. No offense, but it sounds like you're just making excuses here.

While the part I put in bold is true, I also think it was obvious that DerekL 1963 was responding to the implication that the anime community as a whole supported Vic, rather than just part of it. My impression is that the bulk of the anime community either isn't aware of the issue or doesn't care one way or the other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

While the part I put in bold is true, I also think it was obvious that DerekL 1963 was responding to the implication that the anime community as a whole supported Vic, rather than just part of it.

(Apologies for the quote pyramid... I think the full context is necessary.)

Spot on Key. In normal usage, referring to a community means the community at large or at least a broadly significant portion thereof. It's a very specific subset, noticeable by the common denominators I described, that back Vic and did all the things Ampersand described. There's no evidence they're anything but a (very) noisy and (vanishingly) small portion of the community.

Quote:
My impression is that the bulk of the anime community either isn't aware of the issue or doesn't care one way or the other.

I don't think you're far mistaken in that impression.
ANN Forum Mod / Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Do not, under ANY circumstances, direct people to stalking/harassment/doxing sites, or link to conspiracy videos that link to and source from such sites. This will not be tolerated.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
can't believe that the encounters described by Jamie and Monica have been corroborated

in sworn testimony

by Vic

in his defamation suit
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
can't believe that the encounters described by Jamie and Monica have been corroborated

in sworn testimony

by Vic

in his defamation suit

That's hilarious if true. Source?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

well, Ty has been leaking all of the deposition videos to Rekieta. he's been streaming them on his YT channel with commentary. you can find them there.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

my bad, it's just Jamie's story in this instance
https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/1151501701427412999
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:41 pm Reply with quote
^^ That seems like something that could get him disbarred or at least censured, since all the lawyers agreed at the start of the deposition not to do exactly that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6