• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Not sure. I just get that bad feeling about reading about loli types like what has been discussed, that's all.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
Invader_Spooch wrote:
@Veoryn87:

I did say I thought both Rahxephon and Evangelion had stellar performances.

Haha! Forgive me. It was early in the morning and I was tired. I didn't read it correctly.

Over the course of the year I've been liking Geneon less and less. Sure, they get some good stuff, but they cost SO MUCH! Gungrave is about $100. Each volume of one of their shows is about $25 at Best Buy (about $5 more expensive than most anime volumes there). And the worst thing of all....... They haven't released a Gankutsuou thinpack yet. Hopefully ADV will soon.

Gankutsuou box set is being released in a few months at MSRP of $149.98. Slightly more affordable than the Samurai Champloo box set... Rolling Eyes
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

The problem with Geneon's version of Saiyuki is everyone got used to ADV's first. ADV has always played fast & loose with dubs. Illich Guardiola made a great Gojyo. Sounds SQUAT like Hiroaki Hirata. Same goes for all of ADV's cast. (One can argue Greg Ayres/Souichiro Hoshi, but Ayres is much raspier than Hoshi) Faced with being unable to reproduce that dub, Geneon's version settled for closer to the Japanese voice actors most of whom had a bit more experience under their belts than the ADV VA's dubbing them. Every time I found a questionable spot in the Geneon dub, I backed it up & listened in Japanese-much closer in pitch & mood so one would have to say Geneon's versions of Reload & Gunlock are a more accurate dub

I wish/pray that Adv goes back and re-dubs those. I've seen Saiyuki in japanese- but I loved the ADV cast. The Genon cast...not at all. Plus I refused to shell out $30 for a dvd of a show I can't stand to watch.

I hope they can do that even if it was boxset only. I know my friend would too. (she loved greg ayres). I know two people don't count of squawt but still. it'd be another reason for me to love Adv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

The problem with Geneon's version of Saiyuki is everyone got used to ADV's first. ADV has always played fast & loose with dubs. Illich Guardiola made a great Gojyo. Sounds SQUAT like Hiroaki Hirata. Same goes for all of ADV's cast. (One can argue Greg Ayres/Souichiro Hoshi, but Ayres is much raspier than Hoshi) Faced with being unable to reproduce that dub, Geneon's version settled for closer to the Japanese voice actors most of whom had a bit more experience under their belts than the ADV VA's dubbing them. Every time I found a questionable spot in the Geneon dub, I backed it up & listened in Japanese-much closer in pitch & mood so one would have to say Geneon's versions of Reload & Gunlock are a more accurate dub

I wish/pray that Adv goes back and re-dubs those. I've seen Saiyuki in japanese- but I loved the ADV cast. The Genon cast...not at all. Plus I refused to shell out $30 for a dvd of a show I can't stand to watch.

I hope they can do that even if it was boxset only. I know my friend would too. (she loved greg ayres). I know two people don't count of squawt but still. it'd be another reason for me to love Adv.

That is a nice idea. The Saiyuki dub. I so preferred ADV's dub to Geneons. Gojyo did sound better but Hakkai, Sanzo and Goku didn't. Has to make ya wonder if ADV has any plans to eventually re-dub some of the older Geneon works. Stuff from the Pioneer days.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, BV sure likes the 1-2 episode per disc format
Hellsing Ultimate is 1 episode per disc
I believe Yukikaze was released on 2 episode discs

But you are right, 4 is the norm, more or less. Most DVDs have 4-5 episodes, with drops to 3 on some volumes.

I think we can all agree that the Hellsing Ultimate one-episode-per-disc situation is regrettable, but seeing that Satelight isn't able to keep their production schedule reliable, Geneon has little choice if they want their release schedule to be at all consistent. I'm still not sure why Geneon's (or should I say ADV now?) releasing OVA III in the US before the fourth one comes out in Japan, but whatever.

I think the majority of releases with 1-2 episodes per disc are generally that way because the title was an OVA in Japan. They cost a lot to produce per episode in comparison to TV series, so Japanese companies understandably raise the licensing fee. The way the American licensor offsets this is unfortunately to release it on DVDs with only 1 or 2 episodes, or charge more for a single DVD that contains more episodes. Le sigh.

Last edited by Cowboy Cadenza on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

That is a nice idea. The Saiyuki dub. I so preferred ADV's dub to Geneons. Gojyo did sound better but Hakkai, Sanzo and Goku didn't. Has to make ya wonder if ADV has any plans to eventually re-dub some of the older Geneon works. Stuff from the Pioneer days.

Hmm. I'm not sure redubbing something like Lain or Haibane Renmei could turn a profit for them. Or redoing anything else, for that matter. With the Saiyuki it's understandable though, because an ADV Saiyuki dub already exists. Just...redoing other shows seems a little...eh, I don't even know how to describe it...just wrong, I guess.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
I know I'm behind the curve in replying to this topic, but it just really bugged me.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, just consider the possibility that there's more ways to be happy than what you can think of.

It just felt like someone had walked into someone else's house and started giving their opinion(does that make me a hypocrite?). I'm not claiming to be an expert, but from what perspective are you making your judgments?

Is Korea at fault for not being Japan?

I really like The Host. There were parts where I didn't know what to think, but I kept in mind that this movie might not have been made with American consumption in mind and therefore, meeting different standards. I thought tossing this movie in at the last minute with no qualifying explanation was just cheap. It's not even anime.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
I know I'm behind the curve in replying to this topic, but it just really bugged me.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, just consider the possibility that there's more ways to be happy than what you can think of.

It just felt like someone had walked into someone else's house and started giving their opinion(does that make me a hypocrite?). I'm not claiming to be an expert, but from what perspective are you making your judgments?

I really like The Host. There were parts where I didn't know what to think, but I kept in mind that this movie might not have been made with American consumption in mind and therefore, meeting different standards. I thought tossing this movie in at the last minute with no qualifying explanation was just cheap. It's not even anime.

You started out kind of weird and then went into full blown weird and into something.

Are you in the right thread?

And reguarding the earlier bit about BV pulling out before lowering prices, I do hope they don't. I'd love to put Gunbuster & Diebuster on my shelf, but they're asking way too much for way too little.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
That is one thing that I've noticed about Geneon's box sets-come with lots and lots of money, yegods!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

You're a week late and in the wrong thread. Please send your kneejerk reaction hatemail on this subject to answerman [at] animenewsnetwork.com.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
psycho 101 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Hmm. I'm not sure redubbing something like Lain or Haibane Renmei could turn a profit for them. Or redoing anything else, for that matter. With the Saiyuki it's understandable though, because an ADV Saiyuki dub already exists. Just...redoing other shows seems a little...eh, I don't even know how to describe it...just wrong, I guess.

Well no I wouldln't really expect them to redub anything esle that new. But older shows like Gatekeepers or El hazard would be nice with a new dub.
It'd breathe some life into old shows that newer fans may not know about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:

I think we can all agree that the Hellsing Ultimate one-episode-per-disc situation is regrettable, but seeing that Satelight isn't able to keep their production schedule reliable, Geneon has little choice if they want their release schedule to be at all consistent. I'm still not sure why Geneon's (or should I say ADV now?) releasing OVA III in the US before the fourth one comes out in Japan, but whatever.

I don't really have a problem with how Geneon is handling Hellsing Ultimate nor do I fault them for the length of time between volumes. It's either six or so months between one episode volumes, or several years between a few 3-4 episode volumes and we still wouldn't have the first volume if they went that route.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
While we're on the subject of mergers and buyouts:

Why hasn't something like this happened with Manga?

They rarely release anything anymore, and their catalog could really benefit one of the bigger companies that actually compete aggressively (I would think Bandai or someone like that would want in, since they've partnered for Ghost in the Shell SAC).
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:
Invader_Spooch wrote:
@Veoryn87:

I did say I thought both Rahxephon and Evangelion had stellar performances.

Haha! Forgive me. It was early in the morning and I was tired. I didn't read it correctly.

Over the course of the year I've been liking Geneon less and less. Sure, they get some good stuff, but they cost SO MUCH! Gungrave is about $100. Each volume of one of their shows is about $25 at Best Buy (about $5 more expensive than most anime volumes there). And the worst thing of all....... They haven't released a Gankutsuou thinpack yet. Hopefully ADV will soon.

Gankutsuou box set is being released in a few months at MSRP of $149.98. Slightly more affordable than the Samurai Champloo box set... Rolling Eyes

....... Damn them.....

I remember when I first saw the Last Exile thinpack at F.Y.E. I was excited when I saw it, but then I looked at the price........ $150! Several months later I found it on deepdiscount.com for only about $66. Hopefully it'll be the same for Gankutsuou.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Think about it
How many titles have you heard David Matranga in since Saiyuki?
He moved to New York. They said they flew him in for the movie, but in between all the moaning & groaning over Geneon stealing Reload from them, it was stated Sanzo would have had to be recast because it wouldn't be cost effective to fly him back from New York for a series. So you would have had to get used to someone else doing Sanzo. It looks as though he may have returned now, but he did leave ADV after Saiyuki.

You already were ok with Geneon's Gojyo (Tony Oliver). Greg Ayres is fun & cute & all, but I really prefer Yuri Lowenthal's Goku. It sounds much more like Hoshi's. Goku isn't cute to his companions--he's an annoying kid. He has an innocence to him. ADV cast a newb for Hakkai (at least Crystal Acids lists it as his only job that year), Lex Lang, Steve Cannon, Yuri Lowenthal & Tony Oliver all could be called experienced VA's by the time they took up the Saiyuki roles.

I probably have a little more respect for the Bang Zoom guys since watching the cast interviews for Magic Knight Rayearth where (Lex Lang?) the actors spoke of watching the original in Japanese before dubbing it while ADV back around the time of Saiyuki had the actors talking about how they were often kept intentionally in the dark--not given other people's parts or told what was going on in the title. Greg Ayres knew Saiyuki because he's an anime fan & begged to be in the project, but the other actors didn't necessarily have a clue.
Watch the Japanese cast interviews & the actors are talking about the title, not their other projects unless it comes up as a annecdote related to the title in question. Listen to ADV commentaries or cast interviews & the actors are often pitching their stage work, praising one another, etc. Doing self promotion. Yes, that's what actors do here. I was very happy to find they did cast commentary on a certain Nurse Witch Komugi ep because there was a character names Akahori & I was wondering if it was a ref to Satoru Akahori & usually the director or someone pipes in with som facts about the story. All they did was praise one another's acting & directing. It was so boring. Many of the ADV actors don't particularly seem to be fans of anime--this is a steady gig to them, but only a few seem to light up like Crispin Freeman foes when he talks about anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8