• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
If you're sure you want the whole thing it would be cheaper to just get the box set and have it all so you can watch it in broadcast order.

No special edition box set?

I'm afraid not but the special editions were sub only and did nothing but put the episodes in order so if you look up the correct order and then watch it that way it's the same Wink I unlike a lot of people ended up watching the dub more often though. I liked the sub too but aya hirano is really starting to get on my nerves so I watch it less often not that wendee lee did a better job or anything but still...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Just wondering though, did Tanigawa have any input on the manga or storyboard management? Like Myaow said, the review seems to talk a lot about Tanigawa's prose, but wouldn't that be more appropriate for the novel rather than a graphic book representation?

Maybe it's just me but I was pretty sure that storyboard/paneling was different from actual writing....

From what I just pulled up, looks like he might have had quite a bit of influence on how this manga turned out. So, the review in a sense is right.
makomk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

Well, it could be considered a misrepresentation; a lot of people (i.e. the majority) aren't as well-informed on Anime as us forum-traulers, so while you can say that it's easy enough just to watch them in order by choosing the right episodes manually, you can only do that if you know that they're supposed to be out-of-order in the first place.

They are not supposed to be out-of-order, so no problem there. If you were supposed to watch them like that, they would have been in this out-of-order way on the Japanese DVDs - and then the Japanese would have allowed for the episodes to be out-of-order on the foreign releases as well.

They did not allow it - so you are not supposed to watch them like that. I think it was only a one time gag.

The trouble is, while rewatching them in chronological order is OK, they're obviously not designed to be watched that way. For a start, the finale is in the chronological middle of the series and the last episode in chronological order is boring filler. It just doesn't work. (Of course, the actual broadcast order isn't ideal either - it splits up pairs of episodes just for the sake of it.)

I have no idea why the Japanese end insisted on them being in chronological order - possibly they were just being idiots and didn't realise (or care) that (a) in theory, the first time people would see the series was on DVD and (b) this order didn't work.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
makomk wrote:
For a start, the finale is in the chronological middle of the series and the last episode in chronological order is boring filler.

Mmh, I don't feel that way. The finale of the first arc (= first of the novels) is in the middle of the series. After that there are other story arcs based on that one (searching for Ryoko) and completely different ones, which I liked just as much, but of course it turns more episodic. The later story arcs are more slice of life / comedy based, apart from the detective story. Haruhi just treats many different genres. And I don't consider the last episode boring filler either ^^ Depends on the person I guess. For me the chronological order works just fine.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Meh. I dont like Haruhi so I'm uninterested. I didn't find the show funny. The plot is uninteresting. Bored little girl is basically god but doesnt know it, right? Meh.

It also doesnt deserve a comedy label. Want funny? Cheeky Angel, School Rumble, and Cromartie High School. There ya go. I saved you all. Go and laugh.

All these supposed comedy moe shows fail to make me laugh. Also a boob grab isnt funny- its only arouses me greatly and makes me want to rape Mikuru.

...>_>...<_<....<_>...I just wanted to read the review. It was an enjoyable read.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
Meh. I don't like Haruhi so I'm uninterested. I didn't find the show funny. The plot is uninteresting. Bored little girl is basically god but doesnt know it, right? Meh.

It also doesnt deserve a comedy label. Want funny? Cheeky Angel, School Rumble, and Cromartie High School. There ya go. I saved you all. Go and laugh.

Hm, I thought the show was a lot funnier than School Rumble or Cromartie High School. Because it was clever with overused material and had the perfect sardonic narration. Cromartie especially came off as forced and cheesy to me.

Quote:
All these supposed comedy moe shows fail to make me laugh. Also a boob grab isnt funny- its only arouses me greatly and makes me want to rape Mikuru. .

That is an extremely creepy comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Quote:
All these supposed comedy moe shows fail to make me laugh. Also a boob grab isnt funny- its only arouses me greatly and makes me want to rape Mikuru. .

Wink ...really..? They are just so round and bouncy. It makes me want to play the drums on them. And squeeze them. I dont blame Haruhi.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Pinkwings wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Quote:

Wink ...really..? They are just so round and bouncy. It makes me want to play the drums on them. And squeeze them. I don't blame Haruhi.
ehh ok....yes very creepy indeed.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Pinkwings wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Quote:

Wink ...really..? They are just so round and bouncy. It makes me want to play the drums on them. And squeeze them. I don't blame Haruhi.
ehh ok....yes very creepy indeed.

...and yet, the image of someone playing drums on someones boobs has me in stitches.

For the person who said some pages back 'the US is the only country getting the broadcast order dvds'...actually you're wrong. Australia got it, although in a different way (you got special vouchers with each 'normal' dvd which, once you had all 4, you send away and they send you the special dvd back, which isnt for normal sale. However, I got mine at Animania; the madman booth there often slaps together box sets for series that dont have official box sets yet if all the dvds have been released but not a box set; by filling up the 'vol 1 and collectors box' box. Because it would look silly if there was a big gap in the box they were selling, it came with the broadcast dvd as well)
Also, I'm pretty sure Scotland gets them too (I have an online friend there) although they sound closer to what the US does...having to buy 'special edition' versions that come with freebies as well as the tv broadcast order.

Not that this has much to do with a review of the manga. I'm generally wary of manga based off anime anyway, and since one of my biggest loves of Haruhi is the animation, the art would have to be pretty damned good for me to consider looking at the manga.
negativeHeaven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I dunno really. I got my hands on an early copy of this, and personally, I don't think it's that bad. Yes, the art is subpar. I noticed that as soon as I started, but I don't think that it's so terrible as to ruin one's enjoyment of the manga. Plus, if you go into it without any preconceptions of character designs based on the anime, then the manga's design actually becomes likeable. And I am SURE the characters aren't so bad as to be confused with one another at the very least. I didn't really find the prose particularly awkward at all as well. I can't really see what's wrong with it really. As long as the sentances get the meaning across without losing the original effect, then there is no real issue in my opinion.

The one and only issue I have with the manga is that it takes itself to seriously. Occasionally, you find pieces of long prose followed almost immediately by some sort of comedy. That is isn't a problem persay, but the prose is so serious that the shift doesn't feel right at all. The pacing of the story could do with a little bit of editing as well. The 1st volume covers the majority of the Melancholy arc.

I do believe that this manga could have been far more than it is, but I don't think it stands out as bad. I'd say that people should read a chapter and see if they like it before buying it. But, in all honesty, it's not nearly as bad as the review makes it out to be. If I were to rate this, I'd give it:

Overall : B-
Story : B
Art : B-
Translation: A-

Give it a shot, and don't let this site's review discourage you. -_-
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
negativeHeaven wrote:
I dunno really. I got my hands on an early copy of this...

May I ask what it is exactly you are talking about? It would help, you know, to actually say what Anime you are defending......
negativeHeaven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
negativeHeaven wrote:

May I ask what it is exactly you are talking about? It would help, you know, to actually say what Anime you are defending......
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Manga Volume 1?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
negativeHeaven wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
negativeHeaven wrote:

Oh crap that's embarrassing. I thought I was in the Fall 2008 Anime Guide thread. That's what happens when one has too many tabs open. My sincerest apologies.
negativeHeaven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
negativeHeaven wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
negativeHeaven wrote:

Oh crap that's embarrassing. I thought I was in the Fall 2008 Anime Guide thread. That's what happens when one has too many tabs open. My sincerest apologies.
xD It's cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6