• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy With Rob Bricken: Evangelion Aerocat EX

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Hahaha, I haven't ever read this column before as I've stopped collecting action figures, but this was hilarious. Loved the last picture of them in the litterbox. I'm going to have to go back and read the others now, so I'm glad to have found this and that it's going weekly!

Ya know as a figure collector I should really have been reading Rob's column more faithfully myself heh. Though I must say this issue's figures.....just...wow. That's a bad this is crap wow btw. I still just am amazed at the sheer amount of Rei/Asuka figures that keep on getting produced month after month after month. This is far beyond milking a series dry...they're digging up the bodies and selling the limbs at this point. At least do something new (and not just slap cat ears on the figures as has been done at least 2 times already), make a biker version of them riding Harley's or make Iron Chef Rei/Asuka. Give us something new at least.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

Ya know as a figure collector I should really have been reading Rob's column more faithfully myself heh. Though I must say this issue's figures.....just...wow. That's a bad this is crap wow btw. I still just am amazed at the sheer amount of Rei/Asuka figures that keep on getting produced month after month after month. This is far beyond milking a series dry...they're digging up the bodies and selling the limbs at this point. At least do something new (and not just slap cat ears on the figures as has been done at least 2 times already), make a biker version of them riding Harley's or make Iron Chef Rei/Asuka. Give us something new at least.

You know, if they made more ironic or mundane variants rather than endless 'sexy nurse/cat/whatever' versions, I'd buy a lot more toys.

If they did a line of Rei and Asuka figures where they were like, in line at the DMV, or balancing their checkbooks, or something like that, I'd be all over it.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I still just am amazed at the sheer amount of Rei/Asuka figures that keep on getting produced month after month after month. This is far beyond milking a series dry...they're digging up the bodies and selling the limbs at this point. At least do something new (and not just slap cat ears on the figures as has been done at least 2 times already), make a biker version of them riding Harley's or make Iron Chef Rei/Asuka. Give us something new at least.

Well, some people *ahem* are a little attached to certain characters. Some people make a slight hobby of gracing their shelves with figures of a certain adorable red-headed girl with anger issues, and will welcome with open arms any new figures of said red-headed girl, no matter how stupid. Like someone said, you could paint a characters face on a turd, and some people would buy them. But, like, I totally have no clue who those people are. They must be a bunch of weirdos.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

You know, if they made more ironic or mundane variants rather than endless 'sexy nurse/cat/whatever' versions, I'd buy a lot more toys.

If they did a line of Rei and Asuka figures where they were like, in line at the DMV, or balancing their checkbooks, or something like that, I'd be all over it.

If they were in line at the DMV, would the set come with antagonistic clerks who are as helpful as if you were to talk to a brick wall?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

If they were in line at the DMV, would the set come with antagonistic clerks who are as helpful as if you were to talk to a brick wall?

Actually, if they did a gashapon set where each cast member was depicted waiting in line, and they all linked together to form a line, and the clerk was Gendo, I would buy the hell out of that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Zac wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

How about Rei's clerk be a second Rei which the first Rei is arguing with, while Asuka's clerk is Shinji getting his ass kicked while trying to explain that his just doing his job.

I mean that would be much better than generic blue hair catgirl and generic red haired cat girl which is what these figurines are.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

Actually, if they did a gashapon set where each cast member was depicted waiting in line, and they all linked together to form a line, and the clerk was Gendo, I would buy the hell out of that.

They could always have the add on bonus characters. Shinji could be the unhappy sap taking the photos for the licenses andMisato could come with her own car as the driving test instructor. Those would of course be limited edition releases and numbered. But seriously the sexy nurse/cat models do get tiresome when every series, not just Eva, uses it for the figures. Hell I'd take overweight trailer park Asuka and Rei figures at this point for a change. They come with attachable vomit and bottles of Jack.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
It makes one wonder how running a desk at the DMV would allow Gendo to further enact his sinister plans...

For the record, I want the Eva Units themselves dressed up in silly outfits. Imagine Salaryman Unit 00, Mangaka Unit 01, and Idol Singer Unit 02.
Lacrimosa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Your cats use the same litter box as mine do! Shocked Lol.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, when I see a character made up to look like a cat and there's a dish with a white liquid I of course think of ...

Even the 'camel toe'..I didn't think that when I saw it. Maybe it's the picture , but it really doesn't look like one.

Heh, honestly, I like a good snark and am on par with Beavis and Butthead often enough, but the review just sounds overboard. Looking at the figures, I hardly see the justification for the contempt. There's nothing ugly about them to me(although I'm not real keen on fan service involving a 14 year old). Would it be ok if I were 14 too? These things are relative and subjective, I really had a hard time swallowing the 'comedy' because it just felt off the mark.

I had the same feeling regarding the 'fossilized tang' Shenlon/ 1000 Sunny from the 1Pice/DBZ mash up. Wasn't that the dragonball material that it was supposed to be? I thought that was pretty cool.

I don't like letting insight fall by the wayside just to hate on something. Even if the comedy is good.

I've was a working artist for many years, so perhaps I automatically compartmentalize things from the craft perspective(that's doesn't necessarily mean I'm trying to add weight as 'an expert'). It's just the way I look at things. Merit is found in and around the 'flaws'.

On that note: I don't see anything wonky regarding the sculpting/poses/faces(personally, I don't care if the resemblance isn't that strong if they are appealing)/paint job. The cat thing might be played out but there's a reason it's still around. I think for the most part they are well done pieces.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

At the risk of being a giant douche I feel I must ask: Aren't the three main characters all too young to drive? Of course, I suppose they are also too young to be frequently depicted in an extremely sexualized/fetishized manner but that clearly hasn't stopped anyone. Wink

I love your idea though. I now totally want a figure of Alucard riding the subway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7