• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
youko_love

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to buy this then start sending e-mails to this company that I would like to see a sub only release. A company won't know what fans want unless you tell them and they will be more likely to listen if a dvd is selling well enough to make a profit.
I can tell you now that I didn't like season 2 but if they release it as well, I'm going to pick it up just so I would be one step closer to a digimon 4 release. Please let someone release Frontier. Sad
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
As a big fan of Digimon, I have to say that it's a step forward to see any DVD release. I can't go back to watching the edited dub, unfortunately, but I'm happy for those who can.

Here's to getting the original versions eventually. Wink
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I've also seen the sub and prefer the dub. As far as I'm concerned the dub is sufficient. The story's still the same. I don't have any problems with any of the changes. If anything the corny jokes add a whole new layer of fun that wasn't there when I was a kid. It's like when I go and watch old episodes of Power Rangers. I enjoy the show for what it is (something I'd get from the sub or dub) but now that I'm older it can be really corny which amuses me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Chris McFeely... Megchan... LeLola... Those names bring me back a good decade back... But anyways...

Megchan and the hatred against Jeff Nimoy? I agree, those are some good old days back in the early days of the internet.

Speaking of dubs, I'm always jealous of the Spanish dub, which seems to have gotten away untouched compared to the English one.. especially the music. German too ... lots of countries. Man, wish we got one of those instead.

And about the 'story is the same.'. Well, I guess in the sense 'there's an evil Digimon and we have to beat him'.. but beyond that it's a crapshoot. Personalities, dialog, actual events that unfold (people who die don't die in the dub.. the few who do still die do so in a comedic manner, etc) I guess it depends how you define 'story'. It's more than 'defeat a villain' in my eyes.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
HUGE thumbs down to there being no Japanese language track. You've lost my business on this one!

I wish this would at least get streamed subbed. I'd like to see this show very much, but I will only watch it if it's in its original language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Chris McFeely... Megchan... LeLola... Those names bring me back a good decade back... But anyways...

Megchan and the hatred against Jeff Nimoy? I agree, those are some good old days back in the early days of the internet.

Speaking of dubs, I'm always jealous of the Spanish dub, which seems to have gotten away untouched compared to the English one.. especially the music. German too ... lots of countries. Man, wish we got one of those instead.

And about the 'story is the same.'. Well, I guess in the sense 'there's an evil Digimon and we have to beat him'.. but beyond that it's a crapshoot. Personalities, dialog, actual events that unfold (people who die don't die in the dub.. the few who do still die do so in a comedic manner, etc) I guess it depends how you define 'story'. It's more than 'defeat a villain' in my eyes.

Lol German dub better? And uncut? They made Renamon in Tamers a male... Laughing

And again, stop overexaggerating and making up lies. They made fun of people who died in the dub? Oh sure, when Mimi was making the grave, she was going "HELL YEAH, LET'S PARTY" .....I clearly don't remember that. Also, Piximon...and Chuumon and Leomon.... yeah, they sure made fun of their deaths alright... Rolling Eyes

And @Sheleigha: If you read, it says so right there:

Quote:
As much as fans were frustated by the end result of this whole affair, however, they were not alone - Nimoy eventually came to the conclusion that there was too much producer interference for him to do his job properly and he and Buchholz departed the series following "Digimon World Tour."

So yeah, he had no choice, didn't like he had no choice, so he left.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
They inserted comedic sound effects and music when Wizarmon died. Looney Toon's esque 'bonking' sounds isn't really fitting for that scene. They also edited those other deaths down, by the way.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They inserted comedic sound effects and music when Wizarmon died.

No they didn't. Does it sound different? Yes, but it's definitely not "comedic sound effects and music".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I may be more knowledgable on the dub side of Digimon, but I know enough about the sub side to know that you're stretching things QUITE a bit on them 'making the deaths funny' in the dub. The only edit for a death that I remember and cried foul on was a brief edit out of Kari crying when Wizardmon died. What, her reacting was too much...but totally wasn't episodes later when they revisit the scene and SHOW IT THERE? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
If this had came out ten years ago I would have been all over it. But now I'd like Japanese audio at this point. I grew up loving the show: beat the heat with the digi beat anyone? But i've seen a bit of the Japanese and I can't go back. If I can find it on sale at half that price then it'll be worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
If this had came out ten years ago I would have been all over it. But now I'd like Japanese audio at this point. I grew up loving the show: beat the heat with the digi beat anyone? But i've seen a bit of the Japanese and I can't go back. If I can find it on sale at half that price then it'll be worth it.

On rightstuf, it's pretty cheap.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
They inserted comedic sound effects and music when Wizarmon died.

No they didn't. Does it sound different? Yes, but it's definitely not "comedic sound effects and music".

Uh, right at 2:14 they let off a comedic thud in the dub.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
The only edit for a death that I remember and cried foul on was a brief edit out of Kari crying when Wizardmon died

Two amusing cover-ups were 'Ow he hit my paw' and "I'm sending you to my dungeon in the Digital World". Not to mention Mushmon and other Digimon Pinocchimon shot in the head with a gun and killed
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That someone is complaining about a series for like 7 year olds being made less mature, I think is rather hilarious.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
That someone is complaining about a series for like 7 year olds being made less mature, I think is rather hilarious.

I know, huh? Laughing

I really dont see how that "thud" is "comedic" ...it's just....a thud. How are "thuds" comedic, anyway? The Japanese version also had a "thud" ....should I call that comedic as well? Laughing

And in all honesty, bad guys deaths were overly gruesome anyway and no one really cared about them anyway... you're actually not supposed to care for them, so I don't get why editing their deaths is so "important." You're complaining about very minor characters who have little to no relation to the actual plot. It seems like you're just griping at straws now. If it was a major character, than yes, I can see your argument... but minor characters such as them, I really don't see what the big problem is.

And btw, it was "AHH! He shot my paw off." and "I'm condemning you to my prison in the Digital World." The overall words already tell how cruel they are without actually saying it.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 am Reply with quote
Actually...I hate to say it, but I'd forgotten about the tweaked dialogue with Pumpkinmon/Gotsumon's death. That was a bit lame, I would have preferred just a simple 'This is the LAST time you'll defy me!' or something. No mention of death, still sounds destructive, and done.

As for the idea of wanting the show not to be editted, I'm not against that. I just think that the Digimon dub is a product of it's time. It's not popular enough (sadly) to get a redubbed revival ala Kai for DBZ. So we either take what we have in the dub, now that we're finally getting a DVD set, or we don't get it at all as of now.

For me, I'm a Digimon fan, of either version. So I'm gonna pick up the dub set, and I'm gonna LOVE it. But if I can find a way to contact New Video after purchase, I'll definitely be informing them of my likes, dislikes, and my desire to eventually have a subtitled release as well. There's nothing wrong with reaching for more - just go in understanding how unlikely it is at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10