• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Originals Have Been A Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Just because you subscribe to CR doesn't mean they're obligated to exclusively spend that money on licensing or producing IP's created mostly by and for Japanese people and then stream that content to markets in other countries.

Yes, but Crunchyroll should not be surprised if they lose subscribers when they do so.

What we need is a anime streaming service similar to old fashioned physical media rental - no base fee, a small fee for streaming just the first episode of a series (to judge interest in continuing or not), and a larger fee for streaming an entire season of a series and/or entire series.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Incel is just a generic adhominem buzzword people use when they have no point to make.

It may have been perverted into that but none of the current popular uses of "incel" are what Alana [last name redacted] meant when she coined the term about a quarter-century ago.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Incel is just a generic adhominem buzzword people use when they have no point to make. Unless Top Gun is suggesting that the only people who would dislike HGS are people who hate women. But then how come they like other shows with women? It makes no logical sense. When people use that word as an insult, they just mean it the same way they do neckbeard or virgin or loser.

I'm suggesting that, no matter which label one uses for them, it is not worth giving any consideration whatsoever to the people who spewed massive amounts of vitriol over a promo piece for an animated series that had not so much as seen the light of day. I can use the term "troglodytes" instead if you'd prefer.

Saiphaz wrote:
But they haven't, and I don't think it was ever the case. Be it manga, LN or anime, you'd be hard pressed to argue that women are underrepresented.

The manga side of things is another story, but there is absolutely a substantial gender gap in the world of animation. This isn't an exhaustive study, and I'm not sure how much (if any) of the Japanese industry it incorporates, but it still paints a pretty clear picture.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Incel is just a generic adhominem buzzword people use when they have no point to make.

No, I think you're just misinformed.

shabu shabu wrote:
Unless Top Gun is suggesting that the only people who would dislike HGS are people who hate women. But then how come they like other shows with women? It makes no logical sense.

That one is actually incredibly easy: Incels like women in media when they are fetish material or are in roles that reinforce the incel's deteriorated worldview. They generally dislike diversity and thus a show made mostly be women is an affront to said deteriorated worldview.

shabu shabu wrote:
When people use that word as an insult, they just mean it the same way they do neckbeard or virgin or loser.

There is definitely some overlap between incels and the attributes you listed.
BBally

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

You don't speak for me. I got into this medium because I love animation and was curious to see whether it would pique my interest. Mind you I watched Pokemon, Digimon, Medabots, Beyblade, YuGiOh, Bakugan before finding out they were anime.

Add me to the list. In fact, I got into manga BECAUSE it was more inclusive and diverse than American comics and actually bothered to consider audiences other than "guy". And I definitely wasn't alone. There was even a corny news article about the phenomenon. (ignore the thing about a Disney Sailor Moon movie... Whut?)

Same here, though I'm Egyptian not American so I'm not what battle-arc-fan was referring to but I do know a most Americans got into Anime years ago like the Toonami years. One of the appeals of manga and anime is how diverse it is, with the way it tackles different genres, how it tackles themes including politics and bigotry and have tried to provide positive portrayals of other groups including some groups American cartoons didn't touch at the time.

Being a Muslim viewer, it was nice to see anime that had more positive portrayals in anime like Quatre and his rebel companions in Gundam Wing, Arabian Naito: Shindobatto no Bōken, Sousuke Sagara and Belfangan Clouseau (according to the End of Day by Day novel ) in Full Metal Panic and the Magi franchise being heavily influenced by Muslim and Middle Eastern culture.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Odd Taxi has been amazing!

...But I guess the article says that co-productions like that don't count.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Odd Taxi has been amazing!

...But I guess the article says that co-productions like that don't count.

I think it's more that we can't tell what counts and what doesn't because even Crunchyroll themselves aren't consistent with the distinction.
IG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote
Saiphaz wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I don't have much personal investment in whoever happens to be on the creative team, other than the general agreement that it's good to hear from voices who have been traditionally grossly underrepresented in this industry.

But they haven't, and I don't think it was ever the case. Be it manga, LN or anime, you'd be hard pressed to argue that women are underrepresented.

As a woman it does not matter how many women are in animation.All it matters if the show is good or not .There is nothing stopping a women to be in animation.If they want too be animation let them followed their dreams
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ignoring the culture war stuff for a bit, I think we can all agree that Crunchyroll's approach to promotion has been haphazard. These are the same people who put ads for Dr. Stone in Times Square but left Onyx Equinox to rot the day after Christmas.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Ignoring the culture war stuff for a bit, I think we can all agree that Crunchyroll's approach to promotion has been haphazard.

Yah. And that's a problem with Crunchyroll overall... There doesn't seem to be anyone in charge. Stuff slips through the cracks.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:50 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I remember 15 years ago I read said reason somewhere on the internet. But instead of googling for said quote, lets consider this.

1) Budget Constraints. Any business works on a fixed budget imo that is the reason crunchy has not dubbed Nagatoro even tough it is obviously very popular, they do not have money allocated for more dubs this season. Back then I think Cartoon Network didn't have do money to do Ben 10 and Teen Titans at the same time.

They must've had a good amount of cash on hand at the time to have snatched up the TV rights for Prince Of Tennis, MARS, Naruto, DBZ Uncut that or they got them on the cheap. Snark aside it's far more likely whoever was running the Network at the time just didn't see any profitability out of the series rather than canceling for it another show which is precisely why YJ got canceled.

Piglet the Grate wrote:

Yes, but Crunchyroll should not be surprised if they lose subscribers when they do so.

Anyone unsubscribing from CR because their using their subscription payments to create new original programming is going to be a relatively small if not nonexistent number.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7