• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - All-Star Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
But in all seriousness, I do think you're underestimating the similar social pressures males have to live with.
No, I'm familiar with them. Things like worrying if others think you're a sexual predator can be a problem for guys... but, honestly, that's far, far more of a danger and problem for women (they have a reason to be defensive and suspicious) . Men do have issues and they should be considered, but they're far outnumbered by women's problems in patriarchal society.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm really, really worried about noitaminA. Give or take a few exceptions, theirs are pretty much the only TV shows really worth watching from the last few years. It's definitely pretty worrying that they're moving more toward otaku stuff and perhaps even more worrying that the reason is possibly that they're not doing so well financially.

To be fair, there has been noitaminA series that has been fujoshi bait to some degree like for example Antique Bakery, No. 6, and soon UN-GO so aiming towards the otaku just balances it out.

I don't think that "balances it out" at all. In fact, that just makes it worse. Fujoshi bait is at least more tolerable that otaku bait but it's not exactly something to strive for. This is the block that gave us Eden of the East, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Trapeze, House of Five Leaves, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki and Princess Jellyfish all in rapid succession. But what have we seen lately? A couple interesting shows but also the giant walking disaster that was Fractale, the immensely generic otaku bait Ano Hana, No. 6 (which is still good but pushing the Fujoshi buttons pretty hard) Bunny Drop (also good I hear but threatening to take a turn for the horrible at any moment if it follows the manga). Plus, in the future, we can look forward to Un-Go which is also fujoshi bait according to you, Guilty Crown which just sounds generic as hell and then Black Rock Shooter. I mean, I'm not saying noitaminA is totally terrible now or anything but clearly there has been a pretty noticeable shift in their programming from what they were doing the last couple years to the significantly more conventional and otaku/fujoshi oriented stuff they've been doing this year.
Banden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Things like worrying if others think you're a sexual predator can be a problem for guys...

Why yes, yes it can!

Doctor jailed 3 years wants perjury charges for sex-assault accuser

But don't mind that, tell us more about the terrible struggles women face? Wink

(Couldn't help myself, saw this story today and was so addled by the whole thing that I could hardly get any work done all day.)
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Banden wrote:
I can't read minds, but many of your comments give an impression that you believe there is some kind of mutually agreed standard of what kinds of gender and racial character types are progressive and/or regressive.
Uh, no. Aside from certain things--like, say, it being regressive to consider women to be men's property--there are few real standards. But that's why we argue about such things.

Quote:
Obviously there is no such standard, and something you might read in a book or see in a movie that you think is sexist, other women won't necessarily agree with you on every time.
I don't expect them to. But that's also true for real life issues.

Quote:
That's how fiction works. It's unavoidable. You can change the world so that all female characters in anime are confident, successful, and independent women...
But no one in this thread is saying or implying that.

Quote:
Movie rules don't apply to real life. Movies are crazy, movies are dangerous. They have disclaimers telling us not to try this at home for a reason. That doesn't mean they are a problem and we need to reform them. It just means that we need to respect them for what they are, and maintain a keen awareness of the difference between fiction and reality.
I'm not saying that we should "reform them" as if by some mandate. Fictional representations can and do reinforce certain ideas and roles. If we cannot criticize those ideas--if you're saying that a woman is wrong to feel annoyed by them on-screen, or on the page, or through whatever medium--then we clearly cannot come to terms.

Quote:
What does that even mean? "Valid"? Do you even fully understand what you are saying yourself, I wonder?
I'll ignore the passive-aggressive insult and just say that it means what valid literally means. If a creator intend to represents blacks in a buffoonish way, and if someone is insulted by that, then you're suggesting that they shouldn't because people are free to express whatever they want in fiction (and they should, but I don't see why we can't by emotionally affected).

Quote:
If there's anything more regressive than trying to cover up our collective past mistakes by concealing it or purging it from films and literature, I'm not sure what it would be.
I don't see how you can interpret my statements as to mean that we should censor films. I would love for Disney for to release Song of the South. I'm looking forward to Kino's release of The Birth of a Nation on Blu-ray. But I'm also grateful that depictions of black on-screen are typically no longer like it.

Quote:
Bonham wrote:
Things like worrying if others think you're a sexual predator can be a problem for guys...

Why yes, yes it can!

Doctor jailed 3 years wants perjury charges for sex-assault accuser

That's a tragedy. It's pretty [expletive] horrible that the woman lied and the doctor's life was affected like that. But while I obviously cannot gauge what your meaning and intent is behind the last quoted remark--you might mean it purely in jest--it reminds me too much of this.

But at this point I don't feel much else can be gained out of these exchanges, and I should be doing something else, so I'll bow out of the thread.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:03 am Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
Wasn't Ariel the one who sold her voice and ability to talk for a pair of legs all for a guy she just met like an hour ago? Razz

Lilo's probably the only Disney female lead I like honestly, if only because I found the others so dang boring.

Haha, yeah, I've heard that one before. That is definitely one way to look at it. Disney likes their couples to move quick - "true love" and all that. I think Beast and Belle only were together for like two days - the timeline in that movie never entirely made sense, especially with all of the erratic weather changes. I have no clue how the 2nd movie was supposed to fit in.

My favorite Disney gal was always Belle. First, because she had brown hair (and when I was younger that was a big deal to find someone with the same hair color as me in a gaggle of blondes). Secondly, because she reads and she inspires and promotes imagination. And thirdly, because she wasn't afraid to stand up for herself or what she believed in. I loved it when she stood up to Gaston and society's expectations and then later on to the Beast.

And I like that she wasn't perfect and made mistakes. Her curiosity, mischief, and disregard for the Beast's requests (even if he was an ass at the time) is what got her in trouble.

Anyways, I don't really have too much of a problem with the Disney Princess line anymore. Even the damsel-in-distress issue. Having a woman that needs to be saved doesn't bother me unless if it's the status quo. And for a while, it was. Having some of the ladies being more proactive and being the rescuer puts me at ease. I personally prefer a give-and-take, equal relationship where each helps the other.

What worries me most is if Disney stops bringing out movies with female leads.

Jessica Hart wrote:
willag wrote:
So, now, Pixar. Pixar's main issue comes from not even having a female as the main character. And this is a big issue that shows off the male privilege still rampant within our society nowadays. Because it's normal and expected for a woman to enjoy stories made for men or stories with leading male characters. But lead female characters? Hell no, that's for girls. It's still frowned upon in our culture for males to have an interest in female activities - often being told to 'man up' or 'stop acting like a sissy girl' - else he be labeled as 'gay'. And guys often have a harder time connecting with lead women characters than women do with lead men characters. Male is the default and female is the deviation.

I agree.. that's a real shame. I think the most offensive example of this mentality was the American dub of Card Captor Sakura. They tried to rewrite the entire series and make the main character Li (and cut out like half the show and any episode he didn't appear in.. and only had a few snippits of those episodes as flashbacks of how she was a 'inexperienced loser before she met Li'. They tried to make Sakura second fiddle to someone else in her own show ... that's both funny and appalling Razz

Yeah, this one probably disturbs me the most of the three I mentioned. I hate being considered non-existent or unimportant.

Having females be the lead characters was one of the main draws of anime for me. Do I like the implications of certain series? No, but I can largely ignore them. Do certain cultural things bother me? Yes, but it's not my culture, and the one I live in has its own issues.

As for the Madoka Magica thing, I don't have much time to touch on it. It wasn't my complaint in the first place. Mainly what skeeved her out was that it was a magical girl show written by a bunch of men that ended up torturing the girls and putting them through traumatic situations for a largely male audience. A genre that she considers female empowerment that was deconstructed by men for men. I didn't see it like that, but I can understand why it bothers her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't think that "balances it out" at all. In fact, that just makes it worse. Fujoshi bait is at least more tolerable that otaku bait but it's not exactly something to strive for. This is the block that gave us Eden of the East, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Trapeze, House of Five Leaves, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki and Princess Jellyfish all in rapid succession. But what have we seen lately? A couple interesting shows but also the giant walking disaster that was Fractale, the immensely generic otaku bait Ano Hana, No. 6 (which is still good but pushing the Fujoshi buttons pretty hard) Bunny Drop (also good I hear but threatening to take a turn for the horrible at any moment if it follows the manga). Plus, in the future, we can look forward to Un-Go which is also fujoshi bait according to you, Guilty Crown which just sounds generic as hell and then Black Rock Shooter. I mean, I'm not saying noitaminA is totally terrible now or anything but clearly there has been a pretty noticeable shift in their programming from what they were doing the last couple years to the significantly more conventional and otaku/fujoshi oriented stuff they've been doing this year.

Man, has the anime community really become so hateful and jaded that we're now trashing Ano Hana, No. 6 and Bunny Drop? They're all great shows to me (I like 'em better than House of Five Leaves, anyway.) Well, Ano Hana is current ranked #21 on MAL so I guess not. Thankfully.

Anyway, I just chalk up all this fanservice/whatever with Japan being more open about that kinda thing We got Shin-chan, Gash Bell, Kid Goku, and other anime boys waving their penis around... and public bath houses exist, so nudity just isn't as big of a deal. Wasn't it a huge uproar controversy when Bart Simpson's penis was shown in the Simpsons movie (as in, not on TV but in the movie theaters)? Yeah... it's probably hard for westerners to look at it from their point of view, so obviously a more conservative/prudish country like the US might see it as odd or wrong or something.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:46 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I think Beast and Belle only were together for like two days - the timeline in that movie never entirely made sense, especially with all of the erratic weather changes.

Eek, I was trying to stay out of the discussion since I think I didn't have anything else to add, but I gotta speak up here--they were definitely together for longer than two days! It's not completely clear in the movie, but I think they were together for around 3-6 months by the end of the film. I think it was late summer, maybe early fall when she was captured, and late winter/early spring at the end of the film. Too much happens in the film for it not to be at LEAST a few months--"Something There" covers an extended period of time while they get to know each other, and the added song "Human Again" in the extended edition has the furniture cleaning up the entire mansion which would take even more time...

...sorry, BatB is my favorite movie, I've seen it way too many times. ^^; But yeah, I think in that movie they actually put effort into showing Belle and Beast slowly getting closer together, even if it is still a bit unrealistically fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
That last post took a lot out of me, and I'm not about to do a massive response piece just yet, but I felt this did needed to be addressed.

einhorn303 wrote:
Yeah, that's why it's ok for Palestinians to fire rockets at Israeli citizens, but not ok for Israelis to fire rockets at Palestinian citizens.

What the flying fornicating what.
Edit: You, too.
Banden wrote:

(Couldn't help myself, saw this story today and was so addled by the whole thing that I could hardly get any work done all day.)
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
House of Five Leaves, Shiki

Both are possible fujoshi fodder. Shiki even included some Toru x Natsuno scenes that were really close to fujoshi fanservice.

Quote:
Bunny Drop (also good I hear but threatening to take a turn for the horrible at any moment if it follows the manga).

the show has 3 episodes left now, so it's like 99% sure that it will cover only the first part of the manga. It might introduce the second part at the end, but certainly it won't just fast forward to the very end.

Quote:
I mean, I'm not saying noitaminA is totally terrible now or anything but clearly there has been a pretty noticeable shift in their programming from what they were doing the last couple years to the significantly more conventional and otaku/fujoshi oriented stuff they've been doing this year.

But obviously they also have to make money, at least a bit. F.ex. House of five leaves sold really badly it seems. This year they still did show 2 Josei series (Bunny Drop and Wandering Son) and some unconventional stuff (C), and something you can at least consider the best BL show ever Anime hyper

TitanXL wrote:
Anyway, I just chalk up all this fanservice/whatever with Japan being more open about that kinda thing (...) and public bath houses exist, so nudity just isn't as big of a deal (...) Yeah... it's probably hard for westerners to look at it from their point of view, so obviously a more conservative/prudish country like the US might see it as odd or wrong or something.

You bet Japan is at least as or probably more conservative / prudish than the US, even though the US seems to be much worse than Western Europe (minus the rap music videos). Even if public bath houses exist (apparently rarely used by young people nowadays), nudity is a big deal in Japan. And stuff like Goku and Shin-chan isn't really the same kind of fanservice that anime aimed at adults provide (eventhough Dragonball was indeed quite perverted, but less directly), which is a real niche audience and not really socially accepted in general.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Man, has the anime community really become so hateful and jaded that we're now trashing Ano Hana, No. 6 and Bunny Drop? They're all great shows to me (I like 'em better than House of Five Leaves, anyway.) Well, Ano Hana is current ranked #21 on MAL so I guess not. Thankfully.

In no way did I "trash" No. 6. I just pointed out that it's pretty glaring Fujoshi bait. Same goes for Bunny Drop. I just pointed out that it if follows the manga then it's going to get messed up. (Maybe it wont. Let's hope so).

Quote:
Anyway, I just chalk up all this fanservice/whatever with Japan being more open about that kinda thing

Nobody said a word about fanservice.

maaya wrote:
Both are possible fujoshi fodder.

Well, that depends what you mean by "possible fujoshi fodder". I mean, I can see how you can interpret those shows that way but it's really not much different than any show with bishonen character designs. It's very mild compared to other shows that much more actively pander to fujoshi.

Quote:
But obviously they also have to make money, at least a bit. F.ex. House of five leaves sold really badly it seems.

Which is precisely what I find concerning. Apparently, it's just not enough to put together a high quality, innovative show anymore. It just ain't gonna be profitable unless you pander to one of these fan groups.

Quote:
This year they still did show 2 Josei series (Bunny Drop and Wandering Son) and some unconventional stuff (C), and something you can at least consider the best BL show ever Anime hyper

True, true. It's not like they're not still putting out good stuff. It's just disappointing that they're not putting out as much as they perhaps could be and a tiny bit worrying as to where it eventually leads.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
willag wrote:
I think Beast and Belle only were together for like two days - the timeline in that movie never entirely made sense, especially with all of the erratic weather changes.

Eek, I was trying to stay out of the discussion since I think I didn't have anything else to add, but I gotta speak up here--they were definitely together for longer than two days! It's not completely clear in the movie, but I think they were together for around 3-6 months by the end of the film. I think it was late summer, maybe early fall when she was captured, and late winter/early spring at the end of the film. Too much happens in the film for it not to be at LEAST a few months--"Something There" covers an extended period of time while they get to know each other, and the added song "Human Again" in the extended edition has the furniture cleaning up the entire mansion which would take even more time...

...sorry, BatB is my favorite movie, I've seen it way too many times. ^^; But yeah, I think in that movie they actually put effort into showing Belle and Beast slowly getting closer together, even if it is still a bit unrealistically fast.

Yeah, BatB is my favorite movie as well, and I recently rewatched it after I bought the Blu-ray.

I guess the movie could show snippets of time over a few months, but it still doesn't entirely make sense due to what occurs on her father's end.

Here's the shortest timeline I can make out:

Day 1: Daddy leaves for the inventor's convention, gets lost in the woods, chased by wolves into the Beast's castle (it starts storming), and gets captured. Felipe runs back (it's sunny again), Belle has him take her to where daddy went, arrives at the castle (dark again... constant cloud cover I'm guessing), and trades herself for daddy. Daddy is placed in that walking cart and Belle is taken to her room (and it starts snowing outside).

Evening of Day 1: Belle refuses to eat with the Beast, sneaks out later to eat, explores the castle with Lumiere and Cogsworth, sneaks away to the West Wing, gets caught and enrages the Beast, and runs away with Felipe. She gets caught by the wolves, Beast fights off wolves, Belle takes him back to the castle (how did she get Beast onto the back of the horse? Laughing) and she treats his wounds.

That same evening Maurice arrives back in town, tries to convince the townspeople there's a Beast in a castle, gets tossed out on his butt, goes home with the determination of finding Belle himself, grabs a few things, and heads out into the stormy, snowy night to rescue Belle. Gaston concocts an evil plan and has Lefou wait outside in the snow for Maurice to return.

Day 2: Multiple things happen: Belle and Beast play out in the snow, Beast shows her the library, she tries to teach him to eat properly, they sit by the fire while she reads to him.

(The To Be Human Again sequence occurs during this time, and it's all sunshine and no snow)

Evening Day 2: The famous Beauty and the Beast dance scene. Beast shows Belle the mirror where she realizes her father is out in the snow freezing to death. Beast lets her go (does it start raining when he howls or is it just thunder and lightning?).

She saves daddy and makes it back to the house. Lefou, who's a snowman now, goes to alert Gaston. There's a confrontation, Belle shows Beast through the mirror and calls Gaston a monster. Gaston locks her and Maurice in their basement and gets a mob together to storm the castle.

Chip saves Maurice and Belle and they head out after the mob. The mob makes it to the castle (by this time I think it is raining), cue fight scene, Gaston confronts the Beast, blah blah we know the rest.

Now really, everything occurring over the course of several days (maybe a week) makes more sense to me and I could work my head around justifying a few scenes that don't make sense. Like, it would make more sense if it took more than half of a day's travel to make it to the castle, because you think the townspeople would have realized that the Prince was a Beast earlier if the castle was so close (the lack of politics is confusing because I imagine he's the one that rules over them and would need to collect their taxes... but I'll let that slide).

I don't see Maurice being able to survive out in the cold for a long time though, so from the time he leaves his house to the time Belle goes to save him can't be all that long of a time. Maybe a couple days more travel time with the weather and no horse, but I really don't think it can be weeks/months. So maybe he was at his house longer initially before he left (instead of during the same evening he returned).

I guess if we assume that To Be Human Again is canon, then the weather changes drastically even during the time while Belle is captured, so Maurice wouldn't have to deal with the frigid cold all the time. But then why did it take so much longer for him to find her? Did he get lost again and was wandering in the woods for several days/weeks?

There's also the fact that Lefou was told to wait outside the house for Belle and Maurice to return. Now, we can assume that he went home anyways if the wait became multiple days/weeks, but all we ever see is him being tossed in the snow right after Maurice leaves and then being a snowman when Belle and Maurice return.

And the Mob Song... it complicates things further because it gives the impression that reaching the castle can be done in about half a day or less. The men packed no provisions or food, just torches, pitchforks and other weapons, and go charge the castle (which they either already knew the location of or Gaston was able to figure it out using the mirror... I'm guessing the mirror since Belle used it to find her father). I guess just because it wasn't shown that no food or was packed doesn't mean a cart or something wasn't trailing after the men.

Speaking of packing no food or provisions, Belle didn't appear to have anything on her other than her hood when she first set out to look for her father. It doesn't mean she didn't carry anything along and ate all of it during her travel, but it honestly looked like she set didn't take anything else with her during her trip other than her hood/cape.

Anyways, I'm overanalyzing something that's meant to be experienced anyways. The weather outside was meant to reflect the emotions going on in the character's hearts and set the mood, which in return, would affect the audience watching the movie. The rain added a sense of mysterious melancholy to what appeared to be a forboding, desolate castle. The snow and cold during the night added a sense of biting isolation and desperation; while during the day the snow seemed pure, clean and unobtrusive to reflect the love growing within Belle's and Beast's hearts. So I guess the weather can be taken with a grain of salt and so can a sense of time and rationality since the movie was more meant to be felt and experienced (man, I'd really love to see this on the big screen again) rather than analyzed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm sure I'm super late to the conversion but I belong to an 18+ anime club. They do exist and it's totally possible to start one. I'm sure out in the total boonies wouldn't work well but it doesn't have to be a major metropolis either. I live near a small city (90,000ish pop) out in PA. We also have a handful of people who drive about hour just to get to our meetings.

It's basically how I met all friends out here when I first moved to the area.

We meet twice a month. Ideally we have one social meet up at a local comic book shop where we chat, play games, watch AMVs/Game trailers, and such. Then we have a meet ups in the local arts center where we watch anime (about 5 hours) and take breaks and play video games.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
brand wrote:
I'm sure I'm super late to the conversion but I belong to an 18+ anime club. They do exist and it's totally possible to start one. I'm sure out in the total boonies wouldn't work well but it doesn't have to be a major metropolis either. I live near a small city (90,000ish pop) out in PA. We also have a handful of people who drive about hour just to get to our meetings.

It's basically how I met all friends out here when I first moved to the area.

We meet twice a month. Ideally we have one social meet up at a local comic book shop where we chat, play games, watch AMVs/Game trailers, and such. Then we have a meet ups in the local arts center where we watch anime (about 5 hours) and take breaks and play video games.

I have to asking living in PA as well, where this group is located? I would not mind joining a 18+ anime club if one was close to me.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I just pointed out that it's pretty glaring Fujoshi bait.
I

And?

You can say House of Five Leaves is obviously elitist bait, heh. That's what's so great about buzzwords. They work both ways.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I don't see Maurice being able to survive out in the cold for a long time though, so from the time he leaves his house to the time Belle goes to save him can't be all that long of a time. [..] There's also the fact that Lefou was told to wait outside the house for Belle and Maurice to return.

Those are both really good points, but it's brought up in the commentary on the DVD I have (I think it's on the BD too). The creators basically admit they realized neither of those logically make sense, to the point that they became gags among the production team--there were sketches of Maurice getting lost and wandering past the pyramids in Egypt hanging around where the artists were working on the movie, I think? And they also basically admit that the snowman gag was a handwave to try to make the audience not question how long LeFou went out there on the commentary. The way they talk about both of those issues, it's pretty clear the intent was for Belle to be with the Beast for some time before the ballroom scene/her leaving to find her father, even if the timeline is pretty muddled. A lot of the extra stuff supports this--the Christmas movie, the comic book spending a lot of time on their relationship slowly growing, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8