• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Love Hina, Jyo Oh Sei, Darker than Black, XXXHolic, more Tsubasa, more N

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
flippen wrote:
I gotta say. It's nice to see you all "Americans" ;P So pumped up for the Anime licenses.

Well, I hope I'll be able to finish DtB sometime Anime smile

We are always pumped for new licenses. It's just that they don't license and release our favorites fast enough!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Dude, that series is going to be the next Fruits Basket. It's going to sell. Wink
To be honest, I think it has a solid chance of doing great, I just don't think it will. I predict cries of "it's too expensive!" "it's going to be butchered by [insert company name here]!" and "I already bought the box set. I don't care it's a bootleg."

Plus it would just seem appropriate given the constant demands for it to be licensed. I've started wondering if this is one of those situations where people are going to avoid the series because the fans annoy them. (The late great Malintex Terek aside, most people haven't been too whiny about it not being licensed but I doubt I'm the only person who's sick of hearing "where's Ouran?" all the time.)

I don't know, maybe having my hopes of certain series getting an English dub crushed brutally has made me less optimistic than I normally am. Crying or Very sad

Zalis116, LydiaDianne: Thanks for the welcome backs. It's nice to be able to get online again. (As I've mentioned elsewhere, had a rather unpleasant situation come up and hopefully it's now resolved. This is the first time I've felt like I could get online for a while.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The late great Malintex Terek aside, most people haven't been too whiny about it not being licensed but I doubt I'm the only person who's sick of hearing "where's Ouran?" all the time.

You aren't. I want to see it licensed as well since I really, really enjoyed it, but I'm getting really sick of "Where is Ouran?" and, even worse, "They should have licensed Ouran instead" every time someone (especially Funi) announces something.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
The late great Malintex Terek aside, most people haven't been too whiny about it not being licensed but I doubt I'm the only person who's sick of hearing "where's Ouran?" all the time.

You aren't. I want to see it licensed as well since I really, really enjoyed it, but I'm getting really sick of "Where is Ouran?" and, even worse, "They should have licensed Ouran instead" every time someone (especially Funi) announces something.

Sorry for whining... Crying or Very sad

Of course, after Ouran is released, something else will come out and I'll agonize about it not getting here fast enough. Will you be around so I can piss you off when I do that? Wink Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Will you be around so I can piss you off when I do that? Wink Laughing
Like a stubborn case of hay fever, I'm rather difficult to get rid of. Cool
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
Some of us are opposed to downloading so we haven't actually seen it, so we would like to see it someday. I've loved the Ouran manga from the first volume.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Some of us are opposed to downloading so we haven't actually seen it, so we would like to see it someday. I've loved the Ouran manga from the first volume.

Same here, it's because of the manga that I really want to see the series and why I've been a whiney b**** all weekend because no one announced it.

But, like others have said "they" have to save a few announcements for some of the other cons.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

Same here, it's because of the manga that I really want to see the series and why I've been a whiney b**** all weekend because no one announced it.

I am very whingey and annoyed as well at the lack of Ouran (*snifflepout*), I'm just (trying, possibly failing?) to be a bit more understated about it, as I have seen the series, so I have less cause for complaint. Smile It really is astronomically better than the manga, which is already exceedingly hilarious, and I can not wait to be the proud owner of my very own Ouran dvd collection. (And ridiculously impressive artbox! Go on, you know you want to spoil us fans with something extravagant and oh so Host Club-y. *grins*)

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you and the other forum members at the con, I certainly would have enjoyed going for lunch and chatting with everyone, maybe even showed you around the best bits of Long Beach, such as they are. *G*
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
My grandmother lived in Long Beach. LOVED it. Her other kids wanted to put her in an old folks home "for her own protection", but grandma was never feeble & senile so it was more for them. Can't recall now the street. She was walking distance from the beach(about a block or 2) as well as a Safeway(now Vons or gone I imagine) & not far from a Copper Penny we usually ate at when we visited her. I remember there was a long street running along the beach so she was a block or so off that in a small housing complex--we'd call them townhouses now (one floor, but attached) with her part a duplex with a murphy bed.
It's probably all been torn out by now, She died in the late '70's.

I'm pretty sure someone's licensed Ouran. Viz, as I said, keeps their mouth shut for a longer time than others since they're pretty much just a front for their Japanese parent company now. Or the person who has it has to sit on it to reduce that cross importation thing--maybe Comic-con. Maybe later, but someone has to have it. The manga's too popular here. And InuYasha's winding down. Viz needs another title popular with the gals.
Lacan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
...haha, FUNi got DTB? Will be interesting. since it's a 720p series. Will be their 1st Bluray release.

But like all companies, they'll drop the ball on the subs. and i'll end up keeping my HD encodes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Lacan wrote:
...haha, FUNi got DTB? Will be interesting. since it's a 720p series. Will be their 1st Bluray release.

Who said anything about Bluray? It will DVD like everything else. The only anime ompany bothering with any HD format at this point is BV.
Sakurachan1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Alright! Darker than Black has now been licensed! I actually imagined it being more of a Geneon license, but hey, Funi's not bad at all. Never seen xxxHOLiC, but I've been wanting to for a while now, maybe this'll be my chance.

Too bad they passed over Claymore though. I hear that this Otakon might be a second chance for it to be licensed? Or maybe Somebody'll just announce it on they're website?

You I too thought Geneon would grab Darker, but it seems like FUNi wants to regain some of the momentum they've been loosing with the more serious/picky fans. xxxHolic ffor me was and is a gem. Clamp can do wrong in my book. So totally check it out.

My fear for Claymore is that it might be looked at as a cult show by some of the US distro folks. I put it on the back burner aftter ep. 10 in favor of Darker, but it's a show I want to finish up and a domestic release would be great.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
xxxHolic ffor me was and is a gem. Clamp can do wrong in my book. So totally check it out.

Umm...you like holic but not Clamp? Or are you missing a small 2 letter word? Wink
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Not to sound like a jerk, considering this is my first post in a while (the off-line world decided to reaquaint me with the bad side of humanity) but I'm seriously starting to wish that Ouran High School Host Club did not exist.

Don't get me wrong, I liked what I saw of it and I'm waiting for it to be released too. It's just, I've seen a lot of threads (like this one) get downright negative and melancholy just because it wasn't Ouran that got licensed.

It's not like it's going to sell well anyway. (It's shoujo and shoujo doesn't have a good track record in the NA anime market.)

james039 wrote:
Anyway, FUNimation's good for providing both English/Japanese version credits in a 2nd angle, so everyone can be happy.
Very true. They're good about providing the best of both worlds for pretty much all aspects of the Sub/Dub war. They generally don't piss either group off.

Unlike some companies I could name.

I'd really like to know more about Funimation's plans for the Love Hina re-release. (I'd like to know about Hell Girl more though.)

obvioulsy Ouran will sell well since pratically everyone in this thread is 'crying' over the fact that it wasn't lisenced. I know for me and alot of others I have talked to that it's one of the only series I AM willing to pay big bucks for. I mean I have already bought to boxsets (ahem both of them imports) One was just in japanese so I gave it away and the other ones english subs don't make any sense at all. So of course the minute its released I will buy it regardless of the cost.

So obvioulsly on that note I am also upset that Ouran hasn't been lisecend and well I want Monster to come over really bad too. iam excited bout XXXholic. love hina though...I have to wonder what the point of releasing and dubbing an already released series. I mean shouldn't they spend that money on accuring a different series?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
obvioulsy Ouran will sell well since pratically everyone in this thread is 'crying' over the fact that it wasn't lisenced.
I wish forum chatter were a true measure of marketability, but unfortunately it's not always reliable. I'd love to see Ouran do fantastic and maybe even attract some new people to anime, but fate has a nasty sense of humor.

We often forget that forum fans aren't exactly the same as general anime fans.

I really don't mean anything insulting to anyone who wants to see the show picked up. I just think it's a little inappropriate to act as if Ouran is the only show worth being licensed. You have to admit, it's a bit of a slap in the face to fans of the series that are being licensed when people immediately start up with "where's Ouran?" I mean, at least wait until the second page.

Mistress9 wrote:
love hina though...I have to wonder what the point of releasing and dubbing an already released series. I mean shouldn't they spend that money on accuring a different series?
Have they confirmed that they're re-dubbing it? Regardless, I think it may have to do with the fact that Funimation has so many of the other Ken Akamatsu series coming up, what with the new Negima! and the release of My Santa (it's got Aya Hirano in it too, so it's a double threat!) that they may simply be trying to corner the market.

I'm not too sure how relicenses work, but they may also be getting it much cheaper than a new series and it's already proven itself a decent seller. In other words, it's likely to generate a good profit for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8