• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-08-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
While we're on the subject of mergers and buyouts:

Why hasn't something like this happened with Manga?

They rarely release anything anymore, and their catalog could really benefit one of the bigger companies that actually compete aggressively (I would think Bandai or someone like that would want in, since they've partnered for Ghost in the Shell SAC).

I assume it's because Manga turns a profit for what they license. Ghost in the Shell probably makes them tons, and the way they're releasing Noein is bound to make money. It's a very good series that can be bought for around $10-15 per volume (sometimes less) if you know where to look - with 5 episodes per volume (excluding the last one). They're obviously a small company and don't license much, but they're smart and make money from what they do acquire. That's my impression anyway.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there's any chance of ADV-priced thinpak releases of Battle Athletes Victory and CCS.
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I probably have a little more respect for the Bang Zoom guys since watching the cast interviews for Magic Knight Rayearth where (Lex Lang?) the actors spoke of watching the original in Japanese before dubbing it while ADV back around the time of Saiyuki had the actors talking about how they were often kept intentionally in the dark--not given other people's parts or told what was going on in the title. Greg Ayres knew Saiyuki because he's an anime fan & begged to be in the project, but the other actors didn't necessarily have a clue.
Watch the Japanese cast interviews & the actors are talking about the title, not their other projects unless it comes up as a annecdote related to the title in question. Listen to ADV commentaries or cast interviews & the actors are often pitching their stage work, praising one another, etc. Doing self promotion. Yes, that's what actors do here. I was very happy to find they did cast commentary on a certain Nurse Witch Komugi ep because there was a character names Akahori & I was wondering if it was a ref to Satoru Akahori & usually the director or someone pipes in with som facts about the story. All they did was praise one another's acting & directing. It was so boring. Many of the ADV actors don't particularly seem to be fans of anime--this is a steady gig to them, but only a few seem to light up like Crispin Freeman foes when he talks about anime.

I too have noticed varying approaches to commentarys, though most end up fairly funny anyway. for instance DN Angel dvd 2, they were talking about modeling and smores Rolling Eyes
while in the first they actually made comments on what they were watching.
Le Chevier had the boasting you were refering too though.

as for the merger, I'll take a wait and see, hopefully the voice pool won't become smaller .
cute puppy Very Happy
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Invader_Spooch wrote:
While we're on the subject of mergers and buyouts:

Why hasn't something like this happened with Manga?

I assume it's because Manga turns a profit for what they license... They're obviously a small company and don't license much, but they're smart and make money from what they do acquire. That's my impression anyway.

That and they're a small company attached to a large Corporation with a strong distribution arm.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I wonder if there's any chance of ADV-priced thinpak releases of Battle Athletes Victory and CCS.

I think the CCS license expired, so that won't happen.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Personal Opinion.

Not trying to belittle you by not posting your actual post, just trying to not take up a lot of space since I'll have more then one reply in my post. That said I don't discredit you for your opinion. I just think the ADV VA's flowed better and their voices worked off each other better in this show. Just my personal preference. The one thing the Geneon dub did that annoyed me to no end though was the pronunciation of several of the characters names in the show. The worst one being whenever anyone said Hakkai's name. It always sounded like they were saying Hawk Eye. It just annoyed me. I'm not saying the Bang Zoom guys/girls, or the Saiyuki cast in particular, are bad. I enjoy many of their works and other works the Saiyuki cast has done. I think Yuri Lowenthal is great and one of the nicer industry people I've met. He's also a good sport. Mike McFarland gave him a very interesting name 2 years ago at Otakon during the uncut panel. I just prefer the ADV dub in tis case. I can see what you mean about other VA's enjoying anime more maybe. I think there are certain ADV VA's that seem to not show the same enthusiasm. However I know plenty that do and have met a fair share. Same with Funimation. Since you mentioned greg Ayres I will say he definitely shows, in my opinion, real joy and enthusiasm for his work as a VA. He's always been very funny and nice the handful of times I've met and talked to him at various cons. The same goes for his brother Chris (who is even more awesome because he wears Hawaiian shirts like me).

britannicamoore wrote:

Well no I wouldln't really expect them to redub anything esle that new. But older shows like Gatekeepers or El hazard would be nice with a new dub.
It'd breathe some life into old shows that newer fans may not know about.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. The older Pioneer stuff and in particular titles that may not have gotten a huge fan base. Despite having been out for a fair amount of years titles like Lain and Haibane Renmei have a strong and rather large fan base. So re-dubbing shows like them would be counter productive I think. But as you mentioned britannica shows like El Hazard or Gatekeepers (and Gatekeepers 21) would be nice to see a new dub because it may pump some life into older titles that, while not great, were still good shows and deserved a bit more credit then they got. Just my opinions obviously
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

The one thing the Geneon dub did that annoyed me to no end though was the pronunciation of several of the characters names in the show. The worst one being whenever anyone said Hakkai's name. It always sounded like they were saying Hawk Eye. It just annoyed me.

I was very sensitie to the Geneon dub because there was so much animosity to the change. Humans are creatures of habit. We prefer the familiar.
Every unnatural part I came across in the Geneon dub, I backed up & listened to in Japanese. That Hawk Eye thing was one in particular since Yuri Lowenthal is allegedly fluent in Japanese.
Guess what.
Do I need to say Souichiro Hoshi said Hawk Eye? Regularly. I listened to it about a dozen times the first time I caught it & several other times when it came up.
So if it annoyed you, that's just the way they say it in Japan. Or maybe it's the VA's in questiion although Ishida's usually in the top 10 every year & Hoshi's also pretty popular. Hoshi actually seems a tad better with English than Ishida (I smiled more than once that Hoshi as Kira was better at saying Athrun's name than Ishida was saying his own character's name)
There was another segment that seemed unnatural-where Hakkai went out looking for Hakuryu, but the dragon had vanished (the kids ep), but Steve Cannon had Ishida down on that segment. Ishida has that breathy quality to his voice which is why I like hearing Liam O'Brien cast in his roles Steve Cannon is also similar.
It was a hard dub, I'm sure. Nothing short of hiring ADV to do the dub would have satisfied most of the fans so I assume they went for trying to stick close to the original dub..The Saiyuki fans don't seem quite the sticklers on the translation as I've seen fans of other titles get over a line changed here & there. They fell in love with the ADV dub shich like other ADV dubs plays it a vit fast & loose (speaking as someone who usually listens in English with the subtitles up to see hos many differences there are in the scripts. ADV strayed far more than Geneon did).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with anime burn out. Though strangely I'm still finding tons of manga I like. i've always been into comics anyway. Also, I have a fondness for some seinen titles that aren't in the US yet or the few of those that are or were out in the US. Plus I tend to hunt down more obscure or even out or print manga titles.

In front of me on a shelf I got Uzumaki, Terada's The Monkey King, one volume of the out of print Sanctuary with beutiful Ryoichi Ikegami art, Anne Freaks, Eat Man vol 1, Anne Freaks, Lament of the Lamb, Lady Snowblood, a couple of volumes of the Korean book Priest and others. Okay, I have Death Note, but other than that they're fairly obscure and that's only this one slim case by my desk. I won't even get into the other shelves around me full of more manga and even more US comics. Nevermind the boxes of comic books. (You could say I have issues.)

Oh and as for friends into anime cosplay and cosplay at cons, I'm one of those jerks that likes to go to anime cons dresses as an American comics character. Though I pick an obscure yet notable one, like the nun in a Nixon mask from Fell by Ellis and Templesmith. Then again Warren Ellis fans are a whole other breed of comic geeks. Though I've also done anime/manga cosplay before from Trigun and the more obscure cyberpunk manga Blame!. I have other friends into the cosplay scene and the anime con scene. Though due to focus and money, I've not done anything new in some time and also cut back on cons.

Also, I have friends and roomate more into manga and anime and video games meanwhile I'm more into manga and US comics with the occasional game or anime I really like.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I think Yuri Lowenthal is great and one of the nicer industry people I've met. He's also a good sport. Mike McFarland gave him a very interesting name 2 years ago at Otakon during the uncut panel. I just prefer the ADV dub in tis case. I can see what you mean about other VA's enjoying anime more maybe. I think there are certain ADV VA's that seem to not show the same enthusiasm. However I know plenty that do and have met a fair share. Same with Funimation. Since you mentioned greg Ayres I will say he definitely shows, in my opinion, real joy and enthusiasm for his work as a VA. He's always been very funny and nice the handful of times I've met and talked to him at various cons. The same goes for his brother Chris (who is even more awesome because he wears Hawaiian shirts like me).

One can hear Greg Ayres' enthusiasn, his "fanboy", in some of his comments.
Same for Crispin Freemman. Ever check out his interview on Angel Sanctuary where he explains the dif between how American fans use otaku & Japanese fans do, but then goes on to call himself an otaku (I know it's an inssult, but) At Comic-con while Mr. Freeman was signing autographs for Blood+ at the Sony booth, my teen & I happened to have some Hellsing copies we got signed which he seemed very happy to see & when I said I'd already pre-ordered Vol 3, he totally lit up, saying how brutal it had been, but it was great. (although maybe he was referring to vol 2 since I don't know that they've recorded 3 yet) .
THe Funi actors all seem pretty familiar with their DBZ info also so it just always stands out how more of the ADV actors seem to put across the idea dubbing anime is a way to pay the bills until they get their break on stage or screen. More of a job than a passion.

Of course, I also get the sense the directors at ADV seem more interested in making their mark. It almost seems they would love tlo get away with dropping the Japanese side entirely. The changes in the scripts often have little logic to them & there's really no reason they can't get the names of at least the top 29 Japanese VA's down to the more common western spelling. Sometimes who appears during theur Japanese Cast credits is completely different from who's already listed here by fans who've seen the shows already & posted the casts.. (Ever compare Soul Hunter?) And their attitude about not allowing the cast to know what's going on which, according to a couple commentaries has been a practice ADV has used in the past just seems to suggest more of an attitude like the one expressed on Maze where the comment was made if there were any similarities in the 2 scripts, it was purely accidental because they took pains to ignore the original Japanese version as much as possible.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

I think the CCS license expired, so that won't happen.

I was afraid of that. Complete sets of the Geneon release are going for around $200, and there don't seem to be enough individual volumes to make a complete set at the moment. At least BAV is easily available and cheap.

Oh, well. At least the second CCS Tagalog dub (with Jenny Bituin as Sakura) is still in reruns. The old dub was from 2001, but there have been two different Tagalog dubs airing at the same time (Machine Robo Rescue, Gransazers, Justirisers), albeit on broadcast and cable channels, so I'm guessing the companies involved opted for cheaper, less exclusive licenses.
lady_youko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I weep for the loss of Geneon. Gainax now is our only hope.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
lady_youko wrote:
I weep for the loss of Geneon. Gainax now is our only hope.

...?

Firstly, Geneon is supposedly still around as a licensing company, they just gave up a huge part of their company to ADV. So while all of the sales, distibution and marketing of Geneon products will be done by ADV, Geneon will still be licensing stuff.

Secondly, Gainax is a Japanese animation production studio, like Bones, GONZO and Madhouse. I don't see what that has to do with American licensing companies...
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
hey Zac, what with the "big brother" questions on answerfans? looks like some "ahem" "entities" or "commercial subjects" screw the sarcasm, how much the anime companies are getting from these responses, who suggest you do to these questions to begin with?....

conspiracy.... these days....
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:

You started out kind of weird and then went into full blown weird and into something.

Are you in the right thread?

I figured >Forum>Site related>Talkback>Hey, Answerman
Not the right place to comment on one of his pieces? I saw other people make comment re: the same subject in this thread(or what appeared to be it).

I'll give you the part about weird, it was late I was tired and the subject title I wrote doesn't display(it would've helped to make more sense). I read it later and was 'Wow, vague with a capital V.

Zac wrote:
You're a week late and in the wrong thread. Please send your kneejerk reaction hatemail on this subject to answerman [at] animenewsnetwork.com.

I *said* I knew I was late. How is this the wrong place?(see above)
The link from the original piece to the forums goes here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41842

Which looks an awful lot like this here thread. If I've bungled it still, my apologies.

Hatemail? Kneejerk? Wow, that's just rude. This echoes my original concern of (perhaps) a lack depth when analyzing other cultures from the outside. How can you presume anything about my intentions? If nothing else, I was just sticking up for the Host, it's the most interesting movie I've seen in a long time.

In terms of my other comments. What we consider shortcomings may be non-issues within the country of question. You may know far more than I do about Korea but that did not come thru to me in the piece.

Believe it or not ,I was trying to be diplomatic about it.

I'm getting the indication that concerns like mine are the non-issue here and that I shouldn't have bothered. Whatever.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

I *said* I knew I was late. How is this the wrong place?(see above)
The link from the original piece to the forums goes here:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41842

Which looks an awful lot like this here thread. If I've bungled it still, my apologies.

Your disingenuous apologies aside, there's a new thread every week regarding the column. You were responding to something from last week's column in a thread about this week's column. 3 minutes worth of forum investigation would've revealed that to you.

Quote:

Hatemail? Kneejerk? Wow, that's just rude.

And what you said isn't a rude kneejerk reaction?

Quote:

If nothing else, I was just sticking up for the Host, it's the most interesting movie I've seen in a long time.

Then I'm sorry for that. You apparently have not seen a film made by a professional in a long time.

Quote:

In terms of my other comments. What we consider shortcomings may be non-issues within the country of question.

So then I should temper my comments with "this film ignores even the basic rules of filmmaking that have been embraced by almost every country rich enough to have an entertainment industry, but I suppose I should pat them on the head, give a thumbs-up and a high-five and say "Good job!" like they're a kindergartener who was given his father's camcorder to shoot his teddy bear doing nothing for 10 minutes before the battery ran out.

Quote:

You may know far more than I do about Korea

I don't, but I do know a hell of a lot about filmmaking and basic camera operation and scriptwriting, and I stand by that. I educate myself continuously, I still take classes and read books on the subject, and I'm not being a snob, I'm being honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8