• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singapore's Odex Directors Speak as Protests Continue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
starcade-
I hate YouTube. I avoid it like the plague. I told the mother of a boy who's watching Bleach in Japanese it's probably not a legit site-he shouldn't be watching, she told him to stop, & he argued it was legal.

YouTube is going to get shut down for the same reason Napster did -- they won't control it because they can't.

The fact is: Until serious restrictions over what is viewed or able to download off the Net are put on worldwide for the protection of copyrights (note: I'm not necessarily saying "censorship" for content -- just for the protection of copyrights), you can't stop downloading nor fansubbing.

(And then, of course, the big question: Would anime (esp.in countries like the USA) fundamentally survive as a viable economic property if the fansubbers and downloaders were taken out?)

CCSYueh wrote:

Some idiot posting anime episodes they had nothing to do with creating has nothing to do with YOUTube. They didn't make it. It's not their video. Stop.

Make them. Put them in jail or take everything they have.

Let me put it this way: What I'm seeing today is almost an "I dare you!" by American anime fans to the Japanese to crack down hardcore and basically smash what is becoming an increasingly untenable American anime economy. Take out fansubs and illegal downloading, and who's going to be around for what's left?

(Outside of the anime which are now Saturday morning cartoons because of 4Kids and the like.)

CCSYueh wrote:

Karma isn't instant. I have one client a couple years younger than me who, thanks to a lifetime of meth use, has all sorts of health issues & her doc's given her a couple yrs to live. There's her karma. One of my co-workers has the 21 yr old son of a doctor who has a serious heart condition thanks to his cocaine use already. That's his karma. I asked some 50-60 yr old dude if he was going to test dirty-yes-for what?-everything-what? Turns out he'd just been ordered into a residential treatment facility, so he decided to get all his partying in so in one view, he still hasn't been hit with karma, or he has with the constant involvement of law enforcement in his life. Sometimes it hits one person harder than another, but I'm happy believing somewhere, someday everyone gets theirs.

Explain that to the sports fans who have to watch Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, the Patriot-cheaters, a track and field which might as well have the runners injecting their butts before they run 100 meters in 8 seconds...

Explain that to the families of the war dead for a war for profit...

I can't say that I don't believe in karma. I just don't see it out there as often as you do.

And, in this case, "karma" would have to be a full crackdown on American anime fans because some (most, probably) download.

CCSYueh wrote:

And professional sports hasn't been real sports for yrs. THey are (overpaifd) entertainers & just as coddled as any drug-addled pop-star. Look at what a fireman or a cop who maybe will save your life is paid compared to a pro football player. THe money is often so obscenely off the scale in comparison it only proves the sports players are entertainers being paid for the money they can earn for the the team's owners.

Hence why I put that as an example of why karma doesn't exactly exist as much as we all might want it to.

CCSYueh wrote:

When you dance, the piper just may ask for payment.

And then there will be no one left to dance.

Someone else basically responded to what I said about Singaporean anime fans being finished completely by saying that, if ODEX went down, there'd be just no one to care about the downloaders and the like.

No. The government would ban the possession of anime so fast, it'd make one's head spin. This is _SINGAPORE_ we're talking about.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
Someone else basically responded to what I said about Singaporean anime fans being finished completely by saying that, if ODEX went down, there'd be just no one to care about the downloaders and the like.

No. The government would ban the possession of anime so fast, it'd make one's head spin. This is _SINGAPORE_ we're talking about.

Oh I forgot, this was Singapore, where apparently the government does things for no explicable reason. Forget for a moment that I highly doubt that the government even in Singapore has the authority to just ban possession of such a thing as Anime. (Perhaps you were thinking of North Korea or a similar dictatorship?) Explain to me why on earth the govenment would ban something for no reason. If there are no complanies trying to sell Anime why is it the slightest issue if people are able to download it?

Also, Your arguements is basically one of "downloads to more good than harm." If were talking about the size of the fanbase, I completely agree. I also think and have said before in this topic, it is a flawed arguement to say that every time someone downloads something, they would go out and buy it were a download not available. This basically means that your argument comes down to: Is it worth losing the sales of the downloaders who would have bought the products, inorder to reap the benifits of a much larger fanbase.

From an industry perspective, the only benefits of a larger fanbase are that a larger fanbase is going to attract more people to join the fanbase. In that case I highly doubt that it works out to a positive.

From a fanbase perspective, I dont doubt it is a positive. The number of people who will watch Anime because its free outweight those that would be brought in by a stronger Anime industry.

So from a fan perspective, I think its tougher to say. It sorta comes down to a personal question: Is a less profitable industry worth a larger fanbase to you?
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Oh I forgot, this was Singapore, where apparently the government does things for no explicable reason. Forget for a moment that I highly doubt that the government even in Singapore has the authority to just ban possession of such a thing as Anime. (Perhaps you were thinking of North Korea or a similar dictatorship?) Explain to me why on earth the govenment would ban something for no reason. If there are no complanies trying to sell Anime why is it the slightest issue if people are able to download it?

No, I was thinking of the dictatorship of Singapore -- the country where you can get caned for spitting.

Besides, yes, I do think they can ban anime -- especially if any anime of any reasoned quality is probably pirated. That's part of ODEX's problem -- they put out garbage and crap.

And if there are no companies selling anime BECAUSE people download it, then that's one issue -- and the fact the Japanese companies are getting in on ODEX's side indicates that, even absent all other considerations, they want their cut too.

ikillchicken wrote:

Also, Your arguements is basically one of "downloads to more good than harm." If were talking about the size of the fanbase, I completely agree. I also think and have said before in this topic, it is a flawed arguement to say that every time someone downloads something, they would go out and buy it were a download not available. This basically means that your argument comes down to: Is it worth losing the sales of the downloaders who would have bought the products, inorder to reap the benifits of a much larger fanbase.

From an industry perspective, the only benefits of a larger fanbase are that a larger fanbase is going to attract more people to join the fanbase. In that case I highly doubt that it works out to a positive.

From a fanbase perspective, I don't doubt it is a positive. The number of people who will watch Anime because its free outweight those that would be brought in by a stronger Anime industry.

So from a fan perspective, I think its tougher to say. It sorta comes down to a personal question: Is a less profitable industry worth a larger fanbase to you?

Well, here's what I see happening when (note: NOT if) the Japanese really start cracking down on fansubbing and downloading.

There will be a first wave of fans who will say FU to the industry (those who probably wouldn't buy anime in any event).

Then there will have to be price adjustments so that the Japanese companies will get what they think is coming to them...

... which will price more fans out of the market.

Pretty soon, your largest cons are maybe a third to a fourth of the size they are now.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
No, I was thinking of the dictatorship of Singapore -- the country where you can get caned for spitting.

Besides, yes, I do think they can ban anime -- especially if any anime of any reasoned quality is probably pirated. That's part of ODEX's problem -- they put out garbage and crap.

And if there are no companies selling anime BECAUSE people download it, then that's one issue -- and the fact the Japanese companies are getting in on ODEX's side indicates that, even absent all other considerations, they want their cut too.

Youre not exactly making sense here. You still haven't explained to me why the government would care in the slightest if people are downloading something that that can not even buy legitimately.

Quote:
Well, here's what I see happening when (note: NOT if) the Japanese really start cracking down on fansubbing and downloading.

There will be a first wave of fans who will say FU to the industry (those who probably wouldn't buy anime in any event).

Then there will have to be price adjustments so that the Japanese companies will get what they think is coming to them...

... which will price more fans out of the market.

I don't see why that would happen. Whats your reasoning behind assuming there will be a price increase?

Quote:
Pretty soon, your largest cons are maybe a third to a fourth of the size they are now.

I think thats an overstatement. However the actual numbers aside, it comes back to my question: Is it worth a less profitable industry for a much larger fanbase?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

YouTube is going to get shut down for the same reason Napster did -- they won't control it because they can't.

The fact is: Until serious restrictions over what is viewed or able to download off the Net are put on worldwide for the protection of copyrights (note: I'm not necessarily saying "censorship" for content -- just for the protection of copyrights), you can't stop downloading nor fansubbing.

That's what I say. They've angered a lot of companies, not just Japanese anime companies, over their inability to police their site. The last time I read something on it it seemed they were basically telling the companies (MTV was it? Screen Gems? I forget) Tuff Luck. If they were serious, they'd shut down accounts of people violating/banning their rules (I assume they have) of posting copyrighted materials. YouTube is being lazy or cowardly. They did that purge back when-all those people should have been warned & checked for repeat offenses & banned. It's still YouTube's website, but they aren't stupid. They know how much traffic all this stuff brings in which is why they're playing games & I stopped feeling sorry for them long ago when I thought it was just a bunch of idiots ignoring the rules

I think anime would survive because I really don't think fansubs are as important to the survival of a series any more. Most of the places I go there are a handfull of downloaders watching all the latests titles, but just as many watching the latest domestic releases because they don't/can't download. I believe a good title like Ouran would do well whether it was test driven by 20,000 download fans, but I really don't think we can stop it all so we'll never know. People talking of downloading little title xyr are getting their personal satisfaction, but it doesn't seem to lead to those smaller titles being licensed most of the time.

starcade wrote:

Explain that to the sports fans who have to watch Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, the Patriot-cheaters, a track and field which might as well have the runners injecting their butts before they run 100 meters in 8 seconds...

Explain that to the families of the war dead for a war for profit...

I can't say that I don't believe in karma. I just don't see it out there as often as you do.

And, in this case, "karma" would have to be a full crackdown on American anime fans because some (most, probably) download.

Lyle Alzado.
That wrestler dude who killed his family recently.
Pete Rose.
Michael Vick (Actually have only heard his name said-never read it so I've no idea how it's spelled)
It happens, sooner or later.
Bonds, if he has been using steroids as they say, still has a change to suffer a very painful demise.

Entertainers pay the price all the time for debautched living-particularly the ever-popular career-killing scandals.
Britney Spears?

If anything, entertainers have pathetically a brief shelf life.

I remember a Cream article whining Kiss had outlived their 15 minutes of fame & the members should all be pumping gas back in the late '70's. Another music critic complained Alice Cooper was more fun when he was an alcoholic.

Jimi Hendrix
Kurt Cobain
Errol Flynn.
Need more entertainers who paid for their misdeeds?
Look at all the Japanese anime VA's who die pretty young I assume for smoking, but I don't know. It does seem like lots of them do smoke.

War is an extenuating circumstance. Someone dying in battle may just be caught up in someone else's karma-like all the people dying in the World Trade Center are presumably the dead hijackers karma or maybe Osama's. Maybe Bush-I don't know. I say Reagan shut down California's Mental hospitals forcing our mentally ill onto the streets to live a homeless exisitance & his demize was pretty much in line for that, if not for other sins he commited

It really sounds as if Miavi is just waiting for Odex to go belly-up so fans can download with impunity (Of course, they already are.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7