• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga and American Comics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm surprised you don't have a nosebleed from that high horse of yours. It's clear no one will convince you otherwise despite the mountain of evidence presented before you that adults do indeed enjoy it, and that's fine, let's agree to disagree then, since it's ultimately not the issue here.

Mountain of evidence? People in their twenties still play the cardgame. Sure. That doesn't mean they watch the show or read the manga. Besides, look at who is playing the cardgame.

Oh, and you enjoy the show, that's obvious. But I'm starting to wonder if you qualify as an adult. Looking at your old posts, your currect high opinion of kids' shows and your distaste for everything that doesn't suit your little rebellion, I kind of get the feeling you're aging backwards.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
You mean the stuff Moonmintroll linked to? I already said none of it is interesting since I'm not into that simplistic comedy comic strip stuff. I gave out a ton of examples I liked earlier, yet received no recommendations. I thought that was the point of the experiment.

The titles you mentioned from the recent releases on the Page 45 site, you mean? From what I recall, only one of those was a gag comic. I don't think anybody sane could imagine that The Playwright by Eddie Campbell is "simplistic comedy comic strip stuff". You didn't actually look into any of that stuff did you? There's a saying about judging books by their covers.

And, no, before you tell me, I'm sure that The Playwright isn't for you. Campbell's stuff is, well...it's quite some way from Beyblade. It's not simplistic though. Nor is it a gag strip.

As to why you didn't get a long list of recommendations...it seems a rather pointless exercise. You've long since established that anything that varies even slightly from exactly what you're already reading is of no interest to you. And when people have pointed you towards publisher websites and so on, you've refused to investigate them.
The point being made is that other people - people who aren't absolutely wedded to a single genre of Japanese children's comics and might be interested in branching out - can find interesting and entertaining reading material from the West.
Many of the genres and sub-genres found in manga (including shounen manga) have Western equivalents but nobody is arguing that the specific fighting tournament / toy advert type you seem to favour has much in the way of a direct Western equivalent.

But please don't take the lack of recommendations to you personally as proof that it's not possible to make recommendations to anybody. Doing so is an everyday part of my job. If someone with broader interests and a more open mind were to ask for a list of likely candidates, I'd be happy to oblige (and have done so here on ANN on a number of occasions, as have others).
Amibite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
As to why you didn't get a long list of recommendations...it seems a rather pointless exercise. You've long since established that anything that varies even slightly from exactly what you're already reading is of no interest to you. And when people have pointed you towards publisher websites and so on, you've refused to investigate them.

Publisher websites mean little. No indication of titles, genre, or premises and just a link to that isn't very informative. Of course people aren't going to spend hours of research when they can pick up a manga in under a minute.

Quote:
The point being made is that other people - people who aren't absolutely wedded to a single genre of Japanese children's comics and might be interested in branching out - can find interesting and entertaining reading material from the West.
Many of the genres and sub-genres found in manga (including shounen manga) have Western equivalents but nobody is arguing that the specific fighting tournament / toy advert type you seem to favour has much in the way of a direct Western equivalent.

I already said it was one genre I enjoyed, but you insist on saying otherwise, so let's settle this then.

Everything I'm currently enjoying.

This Season:
Persona 4, Chihayafuru, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Hunter x Hunter, Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, Working!!, Fate/Zero, Ben-To, Un-Go, Bakuman II, Mirai Nikki, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle, Busou Shinki Moon Angel, C3, Jewelpet Sunshine, Kimi to Boku

Returning Shows:
Pocket Monsters: Best Wishes, Beyblade Metal Fight 4D, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Suite PreCure, Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal, Detective Conan, Sket Dance, the Idolm@ster, Danball Senki

Ongoing Manga:
Soul Eater, Seikon no Qwaser, Liar Game, Berserk, Deadman Wonderland , Gantz, and many others

Surely there must be something.
Jackmace Ryo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm surprised you don't have a nosebleed from that high horse of yours. It's clear no one will convince you otherwise despite the mountain of evidence presented before you that adults do indeed enjoy it, and that's fine, let's agree to disagree then, since it's ultimately not the issue here.

While Tamaria maybe too harsh in dismissing Yu-Gi-Oh!, I still have to say that at one point I personally play the Yu-Gi-Oh card game and personally know many players, including one of the national top eight of my country, and here is the thing:

It is true that many competitive players are adults, but do consider these points...
1. Many of them (including me) have been exposed to the franchise while they were younger.
2. Many still play the card game because they are interested in the card game itself (many are also players of other TCGs), not the franchise as a whole. Some do watch the anime, but few praise it as an example of good entertainment. In fact, we used to make fun on how cheesy the anime/manga is.
3. Even if they enjoy it, few will argue against the notion that the franchise is now first and foremost a children's card game (compared to say, Magic the Gathering) and the anime is basically a commercial for the neophyte and for a new expansion/concept.

Therefore, trying to convince an adult that isn't interested in TCG like Tamaria to appreciate Yu-Gi-Oh! is simply a tomfoolery.

Quote:

I already said it was one genre I enjoyed, but you insist on saying otherwise, so let's settle this then.

This Season:
Persona 4, Chihayafuru, Mobile Suit Gundam Age, Hunter x Hunter, Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, Working!!, Fate/Zero, Ben-To, Un-Go, Bakuman II, Mirai Nikki, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle, Busou Shinki Moon Angel, C3, Jewelpet Sunshine, Kimi to Boku

Returning Shows:
Pocket Monsters: Best Wishes, Beyblade Metal Fight 4D, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Suite PreCure, Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal, Detective Conan, Sket Dance, the Idolm@ster, Danball Senki

Ongoing Manga:
Soul Eater, Seikon no Qwaser, Liar Game, Berserk, Deadman Wonderland , Gantz, and many others

Surely there must be something.

That's a lot of stuff. And you genuinely enjoys all of them? I'm kinda envious of that.

Before recommending something, perhaps some more question is in order.

Do you like movies, or Western live-action TV series? What are some of your favorites and preferred genre? Speaking of genre in particular, do you like Western fantasy stories such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings?

I ask these because American comics' sensibilities is much closer to these mediums rather than Japanese comics (that you list).
If you aren't particularly interested in those as well, it's no wonder why you don't like American comics. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but do consider the difference between "I don't like it" and "It's not good."
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Let's skip all that semantics junk and let me flat out ask you. Since they're all the same to you, would you seriously say Claymore, Berserk, or One Piece if someone asked to name some superhero comics?

I'm not sure how putting aside whether they both actually are the same essential concept and instead asking "would you call them superheroes?" constitutes "skipping the semantics". In fact, it's the opposite.

What label people choose to apply to them is the semantic question. What they actually are is not.

Quote:
If someone asked for a fantasy series, would you suggest Batman? Be honest.

No...but you can bet your ass I'd recommend Hellboy. I'm not sure what relevance this has anyway. I'm not saying that all superhero comics are fantasy. (Nor are all shounen comics).

Quote:

Quote:
Fate/Zero

If you like a blend of action, drama and supernatural, specifically with a focus on mythological figures who secretly exist in the modern world:
-Fables (Fantasy/Drama/Action)
If you like all that but don't care about it being modern day:
-The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Action/Drama/Historical/Fantasy)

Quote:
Un-Go

If you like mystery especially with elements of the supernatural:
-From Hell (Mystery/Historical/Supernatural)
-Locke & Key (Mystery/Supernatural)
-Morning Glories (Mystery/Drama)
-House of Mystery (Mystery)
-Unwritten (Adventure/Mystery/Supernatural)
If you like detectives specifically:
-Chew (Mystery/Supernatural/Detectives)

Quote:
Berserk, Deadman Wonderland , Gantz, Seikon no Qwaser,

If you like dark, violent action comics then try the following:
-Sin City (Action)
-300 (Action)
-Ronin (Action)
-The Losers (Action)
-100 Bullets (Action)
If you like Berserk more so for it's horror and supernatural elements then try:
-Hellblazer (Horror/Supernatural)
-Sandman (Supernatural)
-Preacher (Supernatural/Satire)
-Solomon Kane (Supernatural)
Or for a balance of both:
-The Walking Dead (Action/Drama/Horror)
-Hellboy (Action/Supernatural/Fantasy)
If you're looking for something along the lines of a true historical sword fighting story:
-Northlanders (Action/Historical)
-Wolfskin (Action/Historical)
-Crecy (Action/Historical/Satire)
If you're really just in it for the nudity...well, you'll find that in Sin City but even more so you should read:
-Witchblade (Action/Supernatural/Tits)

Quote:
Monster Battling (Pokemon, etc.)

While this is not generally a common genre in the west, I can think of one example:
-Four Eyes (Dragon Fighting)
Also about monsters albeit not in quite the same way:
-Proof

It's tough to offer much else to you specifically. Besides those things I quoted your tastes are still pretty narrow. Most of it falls under the category of shounen or slice of life/comedy. Two genres I freely admit aren't very well represented in western comics. Isn't there anything a little more varied that you like?

What about more down to earth Action/Thrillers? If so:
-Queen & Country (Action/Thriller/Spies)
-Whiteout (Action/Thriller)
-Fire (Thriller/Spies)

How about crime dramas? If so:
-Criminal (Crime/Drama)
-Road to Perdition (Crime/Drama)
-Goldfish (Crime/Drama)

Westerns?
-Loveless (Western)
-American Vampire (Western/Supernatural)
-Scalped (Western/Crime)

Historical Drama?
-Maus (Drama/Historical)

Serious SciFi or Political:
-Y The Last Man (SciFi/Adventure/Drama)
-Transmetropolitan (SciFi/Political)
-V for Vendetta (SciFi/Thriller/Political)
-DMZ (Action/Thriller/Political)
-Ex Machina (SciFi/Political)

Do any of these genres appeal to you? If not then that's fine. I don't begrudge you mainly preferring the couple genres most prominent in manga. I just don't know how you can pretend that western comics are "all superheroes". As I've just demonstrated, that's clearly not true. There's plenty of other stuff out there.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
Wow. What a debate...

If you seriously want to introduce a manga reader to comics, don't just pick a series you think is good. Try to ween them towards comics gradually. Start by showing them manga-like comic book series. Unfortunately there's like no good OEL's in existence, or else that woulda been a logical place to start.

Try suggesting stuff like Empowered. Or a webcomic(those are sometimes quite manga-like). For example Everafter.

Granted I don't personally read any of these. There's no scans of Empowered anywhere. And even if there were, there are already more mangas in my list of "to-reads" to last me a life time. But they still "technically" count as western comics, and it's much easier for a manga-only fan to swallow than just throwing them a whole bunch of comics.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Therefore, trying to convince an adult that isn't interested in TCG like Tamaria to appreciate Yu-Gi-Oh! is simply a tomfoolery.

I did play the Pokémon TCG for a while back when I was a teen, but it didn't last very long. Most of my peers who were into it as well, mostly wanted to collect the cards and show off the most expensive ones. The people who did play the game were often a lot older than me and could beat me quite easily, since I didn't spend a lot of money on improving my deck. Now I'm just not a fan of games that give people with money to buy the best materials an advantage.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
I can't really tell what this argument is all about but I'd like to chime in and say that I love both comics and manga (although I own about 20x more comics). There is so much out there that isn't superhero - I flipped through some comics in one LB and found Abadazad, Aleister Arcane, AlterNation, Amazing Joy Buzzards, Amerikan Flagg, and Arrowsmith - all good titles not about superheroes. Also many writers on superhero titles just use the tropes of the medium to tell other far more interesting stories (like Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Warren Ellis and Alan Moore). Unfortunately it seems to me (this is purely speculation from what I see) that comics are only purchased by 25-50 year old men. I've done my part by giving my old X-men reprints to my 3 year old son, we read them together and he loves them! So maybe there is hope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7