• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sankarea (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Man I don't get some people. Why would they hate on her? Its like how I was confused at why Ranka Lee from Macross got unwarranted hate.

I don't mind the cousin, but Ranka from Macross is legitimately hate-able. Refer to my list for explication.

Sankarea is pretty interesting, the protagonist reminding me of an incipient Ted Bundy--not exactly a common archetype.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Man I don't get some people. Why would they hate on her? Its like how I was confused at why Ranka Lee from Macross got unwarranted hate.

Because she was Sheryl's competition in love (shipping is serious business!) and screen time, and she did a lot of dumb things in the TV series in addition to being entirely self centered (Think of any time she asked Alto anything about himself.. lol). The Movie fixed most of her faults.. much like DYRL fixed Minmays.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
For me, this is probably a close second to Lupin in terms of the season's opening episodes. Good pacing, laying all the necessary groundwork, love interests introduced, MC quirk explored. Good stuff. He also doesn't seem to be a pathetic, weak male lead so points scored on that alone. The animation is pretty solid throughout, some of the darker scenes in the bowling alley especially sharp. Someone else mentioned this too, great seiyuu performances thus far.

The ED is really nice as well, I must say.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Because she was Sheryl's competition in love (shipping is serious business!) and screen time, and she did a lot of dumb things in the TV series in addition to being entirely self centered (Think of any time she asked Alto anything about himself.. lol). The Movie fixed most of her faults.. much like DYRL fixed Minmays.

Except Sheryl was pretty much the same possibly less dumb (its been a while since I watched the series). I liked both a lot more in the movies.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm glad I checked this one out even though the reviewers gave mixed feelings in the preview. I'm decidedly on the "will follow this show" crowd after watching the first episode.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Westlo wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

Except Sheryl was pretty much the same possibly less dumb (its been a while since I watched the series). I liked both a lot more in the movies.

No, she wasn't.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
This has gone on a tangent perhaps too long, but I don't get how anyone could hate Ranka unless something is just wrong with them, lol. I guess it helps that I find her voice pleasant, but I honestly think she was a great character as well. She had some issues but that's because she was young and very inexperienced.

To get something on topic though, I liked the first episode of this show, it's one I think I'll be keeping up with this season unless it just gets really bad in the next couple of episodes or something.
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this season keeps one upping itself in terms of quality shows to watch. I wanted to wait until the second episode to comment on this show, but i can now confirm that it is exceptional. It's surprisingly deep and moving in parts despite having such an absurd premise. I honestly did not expect spoiler[the potion to work]; I can't wait to see where they take the story with this.

What is really distressing me however is all the unwarranted hate this show seems to get. Some people seem have gotten the idea that this show caters to some kind of zombie fetish which is completely in accurate. It's more of a general exploration of zombie cultural themes (as demonstrated by all the references to zombie movies). This show looks to be a strong contender for best show of the season IMO (and there are already way to many strong contenders) can't wait for more.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow episode 2. Rea's dad is such a tool. Not only is his daughter love absurd, it also has caused rifts between Rea and her mother. So the potion worked and spoiler[Rea just drank it even though she is alive. I wonder what will happen now? Will she be half human and half zombie or totally convert into a zombie]
Otishio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
After episode 2 I can say this is quickly becoming one of my favorites of this Spring batch if not this year so far. I really like the art style, characters, and voice actors. The plot is pretty good too and I can sympathize with the female lead. I'm really interested in this and [spoiler[when the cat jumped out of the box I was cheering and happy lol]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Posting my comments some from the preview guide thread...

This adaption has surprised me with the way it's been adapting the manga. So far, it has been greatly expanding on the source material, adding additional details, scenes, and backstories that were only hinted at or briefly covered in the manga. And it has done so very well. spoiler[You really get a sense of just how creepy and disturbing Rea's father is in the anime, much earlier than you did in the manga. Which makes Rea's situation even more tragic, and her decision at the end of the episode even more understandable.]

It was a really good episode, and with a cliffhanger ending like that, one that screams for you to watch more. I'm very curious if they will continue the pace of "one chapter = one episode with expanded material" for the rest of the show. Once again I wonder about that fact that this is supposedly going to be 12 episodes. They could potentially make it twice as long as that and still avoid catching up to the manga if they continue with what they've done so far.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2, not bad at all. But seriously though, that is one creepy dad Rea's got there...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
i just no words say about but still really what kind of father would do these kinds of "things" really this is so disturbing & nobody even tried to stop him yea what a total (bleep) that father is.

so wanted to grit those teeth punch him & feel sorry for rea really cause of that no good father "doing" is still feel you want to help her.

look like the potion did works cause babu cat has flown jump away!!!

now with rea drinking oh wonder what next?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Posting my comments some from the preview guide thread...

This adaption has surprised me with the way it's been adapting the manga. So far, it has been greatly expanding on the source material, adding additional details, scenes, and backstories that were only hinted at or briefly covered in the manga. And it has done so very well. spoiler[You really get a sense of just how creepy and disturbing Rea's father is in the anime, much earlier than you did in the manga. Which makes Rea's situation even more tragic, and her decision at the end of the episode even more understandable.]

It was a really good episode, and with a cliffhanger ending like that, one that screams for you to watch more. I'm very curious if they will continue the pace of "one chapter = one episode with expanded material" for the rest of the show. Once again I wonder about that fact that this is supposedly going to be 12 episodes. They could potentially make it twice as long as that and still avoid catching up to the manga if they continue with what they've done so far.

Agreed. I read a little of the manga and it seemed a little choppy in how it was told. The anime feels smoother, more fleshed out and with a little more emotion. I am worried that its going to be 12 episodes and if that's going to be enough. So far, I'm enjoying it tho.
ggqt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion the premise of this show is to good for what it actually is. If you are going to have a show about death and sexually abusing fathers it just seems likes a really bad idea to but in comedy to the degree it "tries" to.

I've read the manga up to the current chapter, and now while I can't say for sure the anime will do the same thing; in the manga they always cut the drama short with some poorly planed comedy. Kind of like.

"Oh your dad takes naked pictures of you? huh... So how do you feel about zombies?"

It just swings back and forth to much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24