• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Critics and Columnists Deserve Your Respect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:52 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
BOLD LETTERING is my edit. Get a grip.

I'm not saying you are. My point is your argument is not very effective.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote
Extralife wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
BOLD LETTERING is my edit. Get a grip.

I'm not saying you are. My point is your argument is not very effective.

Comparing the subjective opinion presented in a review to the objective facts given by calculus is not very effective.
extralife

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:56 am Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
Comparing the subjective opinion presented in a review to the objective facts given by calculus is not very effective.

My point is on the topic of expertise. People assume that anything involving writing is up for grabs because there is no "correct" way to write, or, in this instance, review something. I don't want to sound like an ass, but some people are better at this than others. I bring up mathematics because that is easy for people to see. You either know Calculus or you don't. If you don't, you are not going to attempt to discredit those that do.

It's like people that scoff off all art and artists as a bunch of crap because they don't "get it" or whatever

This is part of a larger problem beyond the scope of this thread, yes, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote
Everyone, please, for god's sake, direct your harsh criticism and snarky attacks at scriptwriters, directors, producers, animators, character designers, VAs, distribution companies and each other; lay off the online reviewers. They're the ones who do the real work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:38 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Since Sailor_Titan, everyone's favorite whiny fangirl who doesn't know what the hell reviews are supposed to be, obviously inspired this thread, I made this hilarious animated image macro to use anytime any wanker wants to come on and bad word about "OMG THIS REVIEW SUXXX".

Save it and use it!

That's not very nice. Evil or Very Mad Funny though. Wink

I have read quite a few reviews on this site, and even when it's Negative or somewhat baseless, i'm not compelled to say "Reviewer XX SUKS because S/HE DON'T KNOW WTF S/HE TALKIN ABOUT.." as i have said before everyone is entitled to their opinion. plus if i happen to like a series/movie,etc on it's own merit, it doesn't matter what a reviewer or critic says that may sway my opinion. Critics are not the end all to be all.

(Roger Ebert, whom i happen to respect,trashed RE: Apocalypse, yet the Movie was number at the box office during it premiere. Razz ) If one happens to disagree, do it respectfully.

However, what in Jupiter's balls was Bamboo thinking when s/he gave Colorful an -A? Mad Laughing Razz Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Everyone, please, for god's sake, direct your harsh criticism and snarky attacks at scriptwriters, directors, producers, animators, character designers, VAs, distribution companies and each other; lay off the online reviewers. They're the ones who do the real work.

Can I ask what the point of saying this is?

Nobody's suggesting that writing online reviews is backbreaking labor to be held aloft as noble work. Don't extrapolate my argument to its illogical extreme and then criticise that. Unless you're just being a sh*t, in which case I offer you a golf clap.

Also, let me set one thing straight. The odds that any reviewer has a "personal bias" against anything are really low. Most people just watch stuff as it comes and if they don't like it, they say so; it isn't because they have some vendetta against all anime with a cute animal mascot in it, it's because they found the show annoying.

That's another one of those fallacies that whiny forum users like to level against critics. "You didn't like Saint Seiya because you hate everything where the guys have silly-looking hair!". Basically, instead of admitting that the reviewer just didn't like the show, you come up with some other reason the review is negative - namely, a far-fetched concept that the critic has a personal vendetta against something in the series, and it isn't because the show is bad, it's because the critic is bad. Sometimes this can happen but it's a lot rarer than you might think, and I've certainly never known anyone on this site to actually think that way. Chances are they wouldn't have been hired as a critic if they wrote their reviews like that.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
However, what in Jupiter's balls was Bamboo thinking when s/he gave Colorful an -A? Mad Laughing Razz Confused

I thought it was funny. A lot like those TV Funhouse skits that they had on SNL. And it's she. Very Happy
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I thought it was funny. A lot like those TV Funhouse skits that they had on SNL. And it's she. :D

Swear, one of these days, we should just do an ANN Swimsuit Edition, just to put the confusion of who's which gender to rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

I thought it was funny. A lot like those TV Funhouse skits that they had on SNL. And it's she. Very Happy

Swear, one of these days, we should just do an ANN Swimsuit Edition, just to put the confusion of who's which gender to rest.

*runs and screams in horror*
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that should definitely go out with the January issue of PA. I'd so hang it in my locker.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Hey now that's just mean. How do you know we're not all wicked sexy?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote
I can vouch Ms. Answerman is cute, but Bamboo dresses down, so I can't tell. I forget who the other ANN chicks are. Anyway, a swimsuit competition would require the yaoi fans to be pleased, forcing the male ANN writers to don bikini briefs.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

I really couldn't see the humor of Colorful,it was a bit too trippy (eccentric) for my tastes,but then again some Japanese comedies are. To each His/Her own i guess. Confused

And hell yeah, i would love for ANN to host some sort of Swimsuit edition. Mainly out of curiosity, like who's who in "ANN-Land" Wink ...er yeah, that's the ticket. Laughing All Females; Introvert and Extrovert must reply,operators are standing by. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:08 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Hey now that's just mean. How do you know we're not all wicked sexy?

Nah. I'm just not a big fan of "swimsuit editions" in general. Much too often, any of the swimsuits lack any taste whatsoever. And some just really sicken me, including some of the positions they do.

Also, a general rule for my self is to try to look away when people are... for lack of a better phrase, "dressed sexy". Not because of their looks, but I don't like to degrade people by "staring".

Sorry. No actual offence intended Anime cry

Plus... if any of the guys are really hairy, I don't wanna know. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3