• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Critics and Columnists Deserve Your Respect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:03 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

I thought it was funny. A lot like those TV Funhouse skits that they had on SNL. And it's she. Very Happy

Swear, one of these days, we should just do an ANN Swimsuit Edition, just to put the confusion of who's which gender to rest.

*runs and screams in horror*

Hey now that's just mean. How do you know we're not all wicked sexy?

Do I really wanna know how much celluoid is around your *WHACK!!*

Haiseikoh found dead of a punch to his facial region....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Do I really wanna know how much celluoid is around your *WHACK!!*

Haiseikoh found dead of a punch to his facial region....

Anime cry *jots this down in her moderating records*

(j/k ;p)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't put myself on the plain (or in the tower as some people seem to feel) of Zac but I've contributed some reviews myself here and I can certainly agree with what he's saying.

Properly writing a DVD review takes time. A lot of time. My Wolf's Rain review took 3 viewings of both audio tracks (5 episodes, 1/2hour in length x 6) just so that I knew my source material in and out. Then there's writing the bloody thing, fact-checking it countless times to make sure you're naming the right people in the right jobs (back issue of Newtype came in handy here), all the while going back and forth through the DVD to make doubly sure that the scene or line or character or song you're referring to is exactly what it is.

It's tough to do it well. And when folks come along and just blindly say that a review is wrong simply because there's a few critical remarks they don't agree with, it tends to grate a little on ones nerves. Time and effort in considerable measure are given out by reviewers so that people who haven't viewed a series will have a good idea what they'd be in for if they plunked down their hard earned money for it.
syr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't take it? Don't write, or at least don't read the forum.

This is the internet. You can't expect everyone to act maturely and respectfully. If you get caught up in the negative reactions to the reviews, you are just gonna get yourself down.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
syr wrote:

This is the internet. You can't expect everyone to act maturely and respectfully. If you get caught up in the negative reactions to the reviews, you are just gonna get yourself down.

Woah. I don't think that's really fair to say. I mean, people do have feelings, and I'm sure you've never gone without being disrespected at some point either, right? Wink

How does that saying go? "Do on to others as they would do to you?" Bah, I'm not even a Christian, but you know, just at least try to be nice. Smile

Or is it because you live in Boston and are so used to those Red Sox' fans? Razz
syr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

Woah. I don't think that's really fair to say. I mean, people do have feelings, and I'm sure you've never gone without being disrespected at some point either, right? Wink

How does that saying go? "Do on to others as they would do to you?" Bah, I'm not even a Christian, but you know, just at least try to be nice. Smile

Or is it because you live in Boston and are so used to those Red Sox' fans? Razz

Sure, people have feelings. No doubt about that. On the internet you get a whole gamut of people. Some just want to disagree completely, and even attack you, because of a review. I'm not approving of this, there is just nothing one can do about it, other than stop reviewing, or stop reading the comments afterwards, or.. ignore those people that do attack you. I wouldn't waste my time arguing, replying, or even READING their posts.

Zac will probably reply with, "You don't know how it feels to have your work spit on." Or something like that. (I know, because he gave it to me in irc once) Personally, I don't care what Zac thinks. He's just a big curmudgeon. He's a great writer, but he has too much contempt for people.

What I'm trying to get at is, don't let people get to you. Especially on the 'net. Just nothing you can do about it.
Goshin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:59 pm Reply with quote
syr wrote:
Sure, people have feelings. No doubt about that. On the internet you get a whole gamut of people. Some just want to disagree completely, and even attack you, because of a review. I'm not approving of this, there is just nothing one can do about it, other than stop reviewing, or stop reading the comments afterwards, or.. ignore those people that do attack you. I wouldn't waste my time arguing, replying, or even READING their posts.

Zac will probably reply with, "You don't know how it feels to have your work spit on." Or something like that. (I know, because he gave it to me in irc once) Personally, I don't care what Zac thinks. He's just a big curmudgeon. He's a great writer, but he has too much contempt for people.

What I'm trying to get at is, don't let people get to you. Especially on the 'net. Just nothing you can do about it.

Thank You, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

In fairness, I understand the hard work some reviewers have to go through-and I for one applaud their efforts-but there's no sense in crying over spilled milk.

Respect is one thing--being nice to people isn't entirely the same thing. Asking people on the internet to be nice is somewhat pointless.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I refuse to believe that it's unreasonable to ask "hay guys, could you please stop acting like mean jerks".

You're both inherently right - I am a big curmudgeon and I don't have a lot of faith in people, but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. It's also basically a waste of time to ask people to stop acting like bastards but it can't hurt every now and again. I'll retain that bit of unreasonable optimism, thank you very much. Especially in a forum where the possibility of a more civilised and friendly tone isn't pure fantasy.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
syr wrote:

Let's try "this is the planet Earth and we can't expect everyone to act maturely and respectfully." This statement is no doubt true, so I guess we should all just become card-carrying cynics and dang it all to heck. Now that's a depressing thought. Crying or Very sad
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
While people need to be able to take criticism, there is a limit. Lately people are just using stupid arguments on why a review sucks, and then when someone points that their argument have little basis, they go off the wire and start acting like not-so-nice-people. If your going to do that, no one is going to your opinion seriously. It always helps if you are polite.
Quote:
Or is it because you live in Boston and are so used to those Red Sox' fans?

Suprisingly, everyone seems to be rather docile this year, more than any other year I can remember. I can't even remember a "Yankees Suck" on the radio. Everyone is actually acting like *gasp* good sports, not obnoxious pricks like usual. I still expect there to be riots like last year though, weather they win or lose.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:36 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
While people need to be able to take criticism, there is a limit. Lately people are just using stupid arguments on why a review sucks, and then when someone points that their argument have little basis, they go off the wire and start acting like not-so-nice-people. If your going to do that, no one is going to your opinion seriously. It always helps if you are polite.

Holy crap someone actually got the intent and meaning of my post. Had I some sort of trophy or ham to give you sir, I most assuredly would.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Holy crap someone actually got the intent and meaning of my post. Had I some sort of trophy or ham to give you sir, I most assuredly would.

Yes, we do get it. Yes, there has been too much "I disagree so your stupid". Unfortuately, there is always going to be a bit of that. So what do we do about it.

1. I've after a few passionate arguements, I have learned to step back and ask myself: Do I wish to engage the charming individual in question. The addendem to this is "do I want to be said charming individual in question."
2. If you suspect the person of being young, naive, etc politely point out to them that they might want to have a reason and learn to be better posters.
3. Report posts and leave it to our moderators.
4.If you disagree with a critic say why. If you suspect personal bias, write them a PM and ask for clarifcation. I've done this all of once.
5. Know your critics. For example, I have a (after a year or so) pretty good idea where I disagree with Bamboo's taste. When in question I don't complain. She's usually enteraining as a writer and doing a job I don't want to do.
I simply go another critic who better reflects my taste in such matters.
6. I critize works, politely. I try not to critise people.
7. I know the above because I auditioned to be a reviewer here and realised just how hard it is. I could probably have done the job and in the future I might change my mind and try again. Trust me, it is not easy.
It is easy to be an armchair critic though.

All the Best,

Nani?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quote
Ah, the turmoil’s of adolescence. The time in a young child’s life when the metabolic system in one’s body goes berserk and pumps all manner of various proteins, enzymes and hormones, into the blood stream. This causes all manner of chaos and upsets to the mind as well as body as the child struggles and stresses with becoming an adult. Sometimes the child/adult still can not understand this change and will still exhibit child like tantrums to what it perceives, or comprehends to be, with what little experience in life it has to reference to.
Most child psychologists will suggest that treating the tantrum, by ignoring it, is still the best way to deal with that situation as that is what the tumultuous child fears most, being ignored. It does work as I use this effect myself with my sometimes-tumultuous children, with good results. I say “when you can talk without shouting with your hands on your hips” I’ll be glad to listen, in the mean time talk to the hand.” They usually go away and sulk, but later either comeback in a calmer mood, or drop it altogether. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3