• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
White Album (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The annoyance probabally springs from a desire to be closer to her. If it were me I'd be annoyed too simply because I'd want to hug a girl the proper way and that's a little too one sided.

Quote:
kouhai

Translation? Confused
farruinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kouhai is usually translated as "underclassman". It's the younger or "lower" of the kouhai-sempai relationship. In this case, we're talking about the new student Toya will be tutoring.
motaku96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I started hating Rina when I thought she was getting in the way of Touya and Yuki, but then I was relieved it was just an act. I hope Touya and Yuki can end up together in the end. This anime is pretty depressing though so I'm afraid there won't be a happy ending.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it plays out like a standard drama anime the outgoing best friend of the female lead character usually ends up spoiler[falling for the male lead as well as she spends so much time meddling in their afairs.] So it could still happen. Not really spoilers but taged anyway if you don't want speculation.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
episode 3

I think Touya's devotion to Yuki is still coming through loud and clear. I particularly liked the roof scene--that is indeed "her spot."

As others have pointed out, spoiler[trouble may start to brew with both of them lying to each other, although in Touya's case that lie was justified--it's easier to tell a boyfriend/girlfriend that you're speaking with someone of the same gender than going through a series of explanations about how you're "just friends" and still leaving them suspicious than just telling a white lie. Granted, this is a TV show so I'm sure it will somehow be played up for great dramatic effect in the future; if Touya were actually thinking of cheating with Rina, it would be different, but for now it didn't hurt anyone. Besides, I think he's doing pretty well considering; yes, he thought about her lips once, but he's a teenage boy for christ's sake (or in the early 20's), he's had a steady girlfriend for God knows how long, Rina's an idol, and she's throwing herself at him (granted, in a non-sexual but still flirtatious way). I don't view the whole "first meeting" discrepancy as too big a deal, either, since it just means that Yuki's been in love with Touya far longer than he's been in love with her. It's a typical childhood-friend-turned-lover trope.

On Yuki's end, I hope she gets famous soon and gets some rights, because right now she's seriously being treated like a prisoner. I wonder why Eiji and Yuki's manager are trying so fiercely to pull her entirely away from her old life. Eiji hinted at her future greatness, but I wonder if he isn't completely heartless. Missed Akira in this episode. I really like his character, actually.

They also did a good job of keeping the tutoree a mystery. The potential love interest circle grows larger!

I think that in terms of the broom closet, that is the only entrance back there, and Touya always sees Eiji and that other barman coming and going from there. I think it's probably a passage of some sort (that's how the bartender is always listening from the other side or whatever). Anyway, Touya still has no idea how they come and go through the broom closet.

Also, real interesting relationship between Touya and his dad. I wonder what happened there.
]
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
spoiler[On Yuki's end, I hope she gets famous soon and gets some rights, because right now she's seriously being treated like a prisoner. I wonder why Eiji and Yuki's manager are trying so fiercely to pull her entirely away from her old life. Eiji hinted at her future greatness, but I wonder if he isn't completely heartless.
]

As to showbiz... spoiler[I get the impression from other shows and sources that this is pretty realistic in Japan. The reason to break her ties with Touya is to prevent scandal and to protect her appeal. An idol with a boyfriend, or heaven forbid a fiance or husband, is far less bankable to fans. The hate mail against idols who get hooked up is legendary (never mind 2D characters, like Nagi in Kannagi). There's also a supposedly well-meaning viewpoint that she will eventually move far out of his economic class and social level, so they are justified in intentionally breaking them up now. That, frankly, is not entirely evil. The strength of attachment and level of confidence on both sides must be extremely strong to survive celebrity, and with Touya a bit waffly, it actually makes some sense. On page one I mentioned the I''s Pure OVA, where all those factors play into a strikingly similar plot line (highly recommended, and coming soon on R1 DVD). Of course, if there is someone in the organization with impure intentions toward her, well...

As to freedom, I assume she has none and will stay that way unless and until she really breaks out big and has leverage like Rina. Of course, even Rina is privileged from working for her brother.]
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
EP 04

The harem is expanding... spoiler[we got no news on the new kouhai that he's supposed to tutor (which may be someone we know anyway), but it seems clear now where Rina is headed--toward Touya. A secret phone call is one thing, but a secret meeting... and Touya's already wondering if she likes him, and her "you said my name". And I wonder if Rina already has him pegged as safe for hiding their communications from Yuki, since he hasn't said anything to her yet. I suppose the second time regarding the meeting reschedule was unintentional, since it was supposedly a relay from Yuki.

I keep having to recall the show is set in 1986, pre-cell phone era. Like, why doesn't she have a cell phone?! Them missing each other was sad, but it was good to see Touya react so strongly. And nights can be dangerous. That potential scandal thing may be rearing its head here.

Still solid performances, and the writers are pretty good at maintaining the suspense. No tutor student yet, Rina misses Touya so we can't be certain what she had planned, an entire episode of people unable to connect. Still a winner. ]
motaku96

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one thinking, spoiler["What the hell was Touya thinking when he left the train station where he was waiting for his girlfriend, to take a little girl to school." And she ends up not going anyway! And he definitely sounded like a pedophile making her call him onii-chan. And when she screamed "pervert, molester!" no one even looked. And he grabbed her and pulled her away! Talk about a dangerous train station.]

Anyway, when spoiler[Yuki and Touya kept missing each other], I was about to go crazy from frustration.

My mouth was left agape at the end when spoiler[Yuki.....said those things to make Touya go up to her room Embarassed .]

I'm rooting for YukixTouya but it feels like a losing battle. There're just too many obstacles. And Touya's rising lack of devotion is getting on my nerves.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

So did Yuki and Toya spoiler[just do the horizontal mambo?] I didn't think she'd initiate it. Shocked
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Episode 4:

So did Yuki and Toya spoiler[just do the horizontal mambo?] I didn't think she'd initiate it. Shocked

Why else do you think spoiler[she would be showering while he's in her room?] Considering how little they actually seem to know about each other, this relationship seems like a bad idea. Like, at least one of them is going to get hurt.

And Rina, spoiler[it almost seems like she's both developing an interest in Touya herself and trying to help his relationship with Yuki along. But the former doesn't make any sense as to why she'd be into Touya, so that makes me think she is just helping Yuki, but then why the secrecy?]

Motaku, I'm not sure but I think Touya might have thought Yuki might have been waiting for him there instead, since it's the same school they both went to. It does seem kind of stupid, but Touya isn't exactly the most on the ball person there is.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
EP 04
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
And Rina, spoiler[it almost seems like she's both developing an interest in Touya herself and trying to help his relationship with Yuki along. But the former doesn't make any sense as to why she'd be into Touya, so that makes me think she is just helping Yuki, but then why the secrecy?]

Well, the evidence spoiler[is piling up against her. It feels like she's just looking for some fun but trying to do it behind Yuki's back. Nothing serious. Not like she wants to take Touya away from Yuki. Touya isn't a threat (as in unknown) because there's a personal connection, and it wouldn't be public as if she were dating someone openly. She certainly wouldn't have any trouble getting dates, but secrecy may be important for business reasons so she needs a situation with leverage to keep it hidden.

If she does it right, Yuki doesn't find out. I think she does like Yuki, but she just has an agenda of her own. Maybe it's just her M.O. to seduce boyfriends of co-workers--she did ask Yuki to introduce her, and we all assumed that was for Yuki's sake. Now all her "assistance" in light of developments begins to look suspicious. ]
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
EP 04
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Well, the evidence spoiler[is piling up against her. It feels like she's just looking for some fun but trying to do it behind Yuki's back. Nothing serious. Not like she wants to take Touya away from Yuki. Touya isn't a threat (as in unknown) because there's a personal connection, and it wouldn't be public as if she were dating someone openly. She certainly wouldn't have any trouble getting dates, but secrecy may be important for business reasons so she needs a situation with leverage to keep it hidden.

If she does it right, Yuki doesn't find out. I think she does like Yuki, but she just has an agenda of her own. Maybe it's just her M.O. to seduce boyfriends of co-workers--she did ask Yuki to introduce her, and we all assumed that was for Yuki's sake. Now all her "assistance" in light of developments begins to look suspicious. ]

spoiler[Yeah, I suspect that Rina is playing a game at this point. Seems that she had it planned before even meeting Touya.]

Kruszer wrote:
So did Yuki and Toya spoiler[just do the horizontal mambo?] I didn't think she'd initiate it.

spoiler[Seeing that Touya is still clothed (and seemingly waiting for Yuki), I don't think they've actually done anything yet. Bear in mind that in Japan, it's customary for one to shower both before and after sex.]
Crimsonhawk009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
EP 4

spoiler[Well something happened to Touya's mother, but why would that be reason to kick him out of the house. Could Touya caused her death?]

spoiler[ Its hard to say if Rina is interested in Touya. She wanted to meet him early and behind Yuki's back, so who knows whats her agenda. I doubt they will actually do anything right now in her apartment, if they do it will be interrupted in some way. I am also going to have to rewatch sometime I missed what Haruka dropped into the mail slot. ]Great show so far!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well, Yuki was spoiler[so exhausted she went and fell asleep while Toya was in the shower. He didn't have the heart to wake her just to continue the make out session to it's logical conclusion. So sadly no dirty deeds were done]

Man that's really low of Yuki's manager lady to spoiler[try and seduce him like that, just to break him up with Yuki.] Luckily, he seems to know exactly what she's trying to do, because spoiler[she's a terrible actor and isn't being honest or maybe it's the fact that she's trying way too hard that tipped him off]. She mentions pictures of Yuki and him togather that could create a scandal but I wonder spoiler[if that might be part of her plan. To get photos of the two of them taken so Yuki will see them and dump him. ]

What exactly is so scandalous spoiler[about Rina buying cigs from a vending machine? Was she underaged to smoke (I thought she was in her twenties) or just because it would look bad if an "idol" smoked? ] Confused

I also think Toya is kind of jerk for spoiler[ignoring the phone when he knew Yuki felt terrible about falling asleep like that and wanted to appologize really badly. He could have at least told her he was doing homework or something and didn't have much time and let her speak her mind.]

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
farruinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Man that's really low of Yuki's manager lady to spoiler[try and seduce him like that, just to break him up with Yuki.]

When she spoiler[put his hand on her chest] I laughed out loud it was so ridiculous. Yeah... that pretty much sums up what I think of that whole angle.

Kruszer wrote:
What exactly is so scandalous spoiler[about Rina buying cigs from a vending machine? Was she underaged to smoke (I thought she was in her twenties) or just because it would look bad if an "idol" smoked? ] Confused

I was pretty confused about this too. I figured she must have still been a teen when she made her debut. But why would an artist be running errands for a producer anyway? Doesn't make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6