• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kokoro Connect (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 pm Reply with quote
It looks like this will be one of the three new shows I'll pick up for a weekly watch this season. It has its types and tropes but I just plain liked everyone and want see what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I rather like how these characters can joke around about ecchi stuff without going over the top.

The stuff about how a boy or girl would handle a gender change experience like that is always unsatisfactory. Titillated, transcended or traumatized? As a writer you have to pick some combination of the three and since this is something that has never really happened they have to speculate. And everyone has their own fantasy of what they would do.

About Yui/Yoshifumi, for the girl swapping with a guy that keeps annoying her and she doesn't like must really suck. But she got through it OK.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
I like that Fujishima girl who tried to join in, like to see more of that. Wink

I think that I will need to watch more so I can have specific characteristics that show when they swap. I am reminded of last season's Natsuiro Kiseki, which was able to give the characters defining traits.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I quite enjoyed the first episode. The characters actually seemed like characters and less cardboard cut-outs that have been copy/pasted like some other shows. The body swapping can be amusing as well. Definitely will check out the second episode.

Agreed on all counts. It's turning out to be a fairly solid Summer season, I must say.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i'm officially excited about this anime. That first episode was immediately interest catching!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:04 am Reply with quote
I like that the character's speech mannerisms also change depending on who's in that body, just like that episode of Nyaruko did it. The actual voice should never depart the body it belongs to though, that makes even less sense than souls switching places.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I like that the character's speech mannerisms also change depending on who's in that body, just like that episode of Nyaruko did it. The actual voice should never depart the body it belongs to though, that makes even less sense than souls switching places.
I agree about the voice, you're mentioning it just as a comparison since that didn't happen right? Basically with the "soul" swapping (I use quotes since that's how the phenomenon is transliterated in the show) involves only one's awareness and perspective being transferred into another body, any observable physical aspect such as voice stays in place.

But I wouldn't say souls switching places makes little sense, the viewer can grasp the concept and make perfect sense of it, just the reality of it is extremely unlikely and impractical. How they transfer the mannerisms so the same-looking characters talk differently, does make it more realistic in what it might be like if soul swapping could happen.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well ep2 keeps up the interest. Anyone else notice the focus on the OP and ED on Iori and Taichi, specifically Iori in the ED. I'm intrigued Smile
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am sticking with this show, I loved it. I start to notice who is who, when they're not in their own body. It's not just good comedy, it's also good drama.

I like the little touches: Taichi in spoiler[Yui's body, slamming with the toilet door and sitting with wide legs], Iori looking spoiler[hungry at the sight of soba yet nothing is said about it.] I wonder if Taichi spoiler[likes Iori back, since the opening theme] is implying it. And really, that spoiler[philosophical speech Iori-Yoshifumi was giving, that must've been Heartseed,] right? ... And Yui seems spoiler[to have guy-problems in general,] judging from the preview.

@Rhyono: Abs are rarer, so you have more chance with biceps Wink. And a man with strong arms is a plus. Yup, going for that.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
With second episode out I think I will follow this one to the end. I definitely like the comedy and diversity of characters but they all need better establishment and eventual development as this series seems to build on that. The problem with the show I see is how they do a sharp u-turns from comedy to super serious discussions, 'observer' part in particular with it's sharp change in mood. The story needs to flow from scene to scene and right now it doesn't. Despite that this show is better than almost anything the pathetic spring season had.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite series this summer so far besides Sword Art Online.

Episode 2
Loved the drama and comedy in this as there's now a guy who seems to be letting much more than he's letting on regarding the "body switch" issue. And to top it off, he has martial art skills too!

Can't wait to see what's next.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@A Mystery - No that was Iori. We're seeing her deeper side.

That's why I love this show and we're only 2 episodes in. Right away you can see all the little touches, the drama and comedy mixing together, but the strangeness of it and the opportunity to learn something meaningful.

I really think, if the show is able to keep up this pace that it'll be the one of, if not the best show of the season.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
This show represents 1 of the few times I have to agree 100% with Zac. I watched the first episode on CR and had trouble staying interested with the characters before the episode was 50% over. I caught myself falling asleep twice before the 24 minutes or less air time ended. Thank God there are other choices this season to watch, maybe even enjoy. I do know already Kokoro Connect won't be 1 of them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Really liked episode 2 - Slacker Observer was hilarious. spoiler["I'll be cheering you from the smallest corner of my heart."] Laughing
Botan24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually liked episode 2 better than the pilot. It had to do with the intro of "Mr. Heartseed" (of whom I can't wait to find out more!), and the "deeper" side of Iori that we see. However, I did find it a little unbelievable that these five are friends, and yet Iori hadn't explained her home situation to them. Maybe she never had a chance to? Anyway, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I do like how the male/female side of this is being handled. The boys are very honest about how they feel inside a girl's body. And the girls are the same. No one's getting nosebleeds, or viscously beating someone because they might have had a perverted thought spoiler[(or actually fondled breasts as Taichi did).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21