• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Restructures with Some Employee Layoffs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Viz Media, Funimation, ADV, Gonzo, and sadly other companies. This really isn't looking good people, I really feel bad for the people who lost their jobs. Most of these people probably spent several years trying to get where they were until this year.

Fansubbing, illegal downloading and not purchasing the companies are not helping this, beside the bad economy. Best regards to the employees and I hope they are able to find new jobs.

It's not like Viz had a lot of shows that weren't Naruto or Bleach, but I could see fans of those shows being much younger, and thus no real income besides allowances. And even then they're not likely going to buy boxsets.

Not true. They actually have quite a few shows. It's nothing to rival Funi or anything but they do have some but since they are mostly a manga publisher the effect would probably less.

I feel really bad about everyone who lost their jobs though.
Though I think they might have expected something like this because people are buying books and manga less and reading on the internet more.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Oh really? Just look at the sales of Naruto and look at the total manga sales in 2008. Viz is dominating the manga market, so their manga sales shouldn't be a problem.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
My mom was one those people laid off... My family's fine for the next few months but she's trying to find a new job...

I am sorry to hear that. Your mother, nor anyone deserves that. Viz Media is trying their best to stay afloat in these tough times, so now people can see why illegal fansubs make me so furious. Hopefully your mother is able to find another job though.

walw6pK4Alo: If I were that age group, I'd make it possible to get more money to purchase a series I really enjoyed. If nothing else, one could always offer to pull weeds or trim grass for neighbor or something of that sort.

100% agreed
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Sorry to hear this news and sorry for everyone who was laid off. Finding Shoujo Beat in my mailbox is one of the high points of the month for me!
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
While I think fansubs and the like play a part in all this, I think the economic downturn in general is most likely a bigger reason for all this, considering that everyone is downsizing, not just anime or entertainment companies.

I mean, it's sad, but over the past year or so, my manga buying went from probably 2 or 3 volumes a month to maybe 1 volume every 2 or 3 months. Part of it was that some of the series I was reading started getting boring, but another part of it was that manga was just one of the first things to get the axe in my budget.

Pirkaf wrote:
Oh really? Just look at the sales of Naruto and look at the total manga sales in 2008. Viz is dominating the manga market, so their manga sales shouldn't be a problem.

Viz may be dominating the manga market, but as I recall, the mange market itself shrunk overall as well, thus Viz's sales almost certainly shrunk as well.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
And so yet another productive thread is derailed due to stupidity, whining, and all that great stuff. Poor predictable ANN. Confused

This will eventually prove to be nothing but a blip on the radar. Manga and anime aren't going anywhere. Also, despite what some fools here want you to believe, fansubs and torrenting only have a small effect on overall revenue. Nothing that could cause lasting damage.

Quote:
My mom was one those people laid off... My family's fine for the next few months but she's trying to find a new job...
Nice try junior. Troll harder.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
And so yet another productive thread is derailed due to stupidity, whining, and all that great stuff. Poor predictable ANN. Confused

This will eventually prove to be nothing but a blip on the radar. Manga and anime aren't going anywhere. Also, despite what some fools here want you to believe, fansubs and torrenting only have a small effect on overall revenue. Nothing that could cause lasting damage.

Quote:

You're a jerk you know that! My mom really did work for Viz! You're a jerk you know that... My mom lost her job and you think I'm just making something up! I was a member way before my mom got a job at VIz! I would use more colorful language to describe you but no... I'm not going to get banned for someone like you... You know what, I'm just going to say it... you're an ass hole! I hope you or someone you care about looses their job so I can call you a troll.
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
So you think you're mature after typing THAT?

I don't think so.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
So you think you're mature after typing THAT?

I don't think so.

I was just pissed because you assumed things... I was really angry and I didn't mean to say some of that... I don't really mean to wish that stuff on you. Now here's some interesting info you need to know: My mom just lost her job, I'm pysically disabled with muscular dystrophy, I can't work so I live at home with my parents and I get disability, my dad gets paid by the state to take care of me but the program he's on might get cut by the state because of this screwed up economy... so I might be the major bread winner for my family for a while. I had to cancel my plans for fanime con this year because my family will probably end up needing the money. It would have been my first weekend at Fanime (I would have gone last year but I was saving for a trip to Tokyo). So please don't assume I'm a troll. And I'm sorry for wishing that upon you or a loved one.
amazingwind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:

Quote:

do you have any proof to back your statement up? if not, it's you that looks like you're the one trolling.

emma's statement doesn't look anything like trolling

you fansubbers are just pissed that everyone thinks you are stealing leeches and liars
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow this thread took a turn for the worse.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2