• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream 3 Makoto Shinkai Works on 2/28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetatronM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
MetatronM wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Quote:
You know, you seem to always defend the dub script no matter how far it strays from the original as well as condoning re-writing entire lines, which btw is not "translation". It's called making $hit up. If a fansub did the same you'd be jumping up and down in fits referring to Otaking and pointing out how untrustworthy the fansub translations are.

There are times when rewrites are NECESSARY. Remember that translation is NOT an exact science. In the instances of the Makoto Shinkai trilogy, the original lines might not have translated well, and so the rewrites were necessary. The lines still fit the work perfectly well.

Prove me wrong.

...The fact that Comix Wave ordered a complete do-over on the dub because the lines didn't fit the work perfectly well isn't proof enough?

Saying something's a fact doesn't make it one.

The lines DID fit the work perfectly; ADV's dub was perfectly fine; that settles it. They could've just saved the money and used the already existing dub instead of making a new one.

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!
The hypocrisy in this response is just boggling.

What I said is based on actual fact. It was stated explicitly that that was why the dub is being redone. I can even quote it for you.

"Regarding the all-new dub, CoMix Wave Films elected to create a new dub to be more true to the original Japanese. This was not an issue of quality of the acting from the ADV Films version, but rather a translation/presentation issue. CoMix Wave Films is looking forward to people's feedback on it. "

What you are saying, on the other hand, is based on...no factual information of any kind whatsoever.

Comix Wave says it's broke, therefore it is broke. Full stop.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I just watched 5 Centimeters it was a great dub I can't compare it to the ADV dub since I never heard it Johnny's voice was so cute in this Embarassed so when will the new dub be available to buy in stores or is it already out?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the new dub. I thought it was pretty good, I liked Johnny's voice for young Takaki more than David Matranga, but I liked David Matranga's voice for Older Takaki more than I liked Johnny's voice. I liked Erica Weinstein for Akari more than Hillary Haag only because I've never been much of a fan of Hillary Haag's voice. Script wise there was nothing noticeably different, I'm not sure why CoMix felt the original dub was "broke" as some of you are putting it, from a viewer and fan I'm not seeing how the original ADV dub was so bad that it needed redubbing, but I guess that's their prerogative.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the 1st dub I dont see why they wasted their money to do it again.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought subscribers got 720p. I thought that's what my annual subscription was supposed to pay for. Looks fine in the little window on my computer, but as soon as it goes fullscreen on either my PC LCD or my plasma.... nope. I'll wait for DVD.

While people say 480p is regular DVD quality, that's really not true in the real world of streaming. It's just higher quality than the usual YouTube.

For those five minutes, I liked the voices, though. Smile
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
I've decided to make this new dub for 5cm be my first experience with Crunchyroll's system. I'll go on there some time before the end and get weepy all over again. (Lets see if the new VAs can do it to me the way the ADV cast did!)
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
The anime is awesome. The song "one more time..." is the best.

Last edited by sdhd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
omoikane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
I just saw the dub on CR. The video transfer does look...well, not the same as the ADV DVD I think. It's definitely ... blurrier, lol.

But I was surprised at the quality of it. Probably the best quality video I've seen on CR (kicks the crap out of their 720p Naruto stream, FWIW). Granted I didn't expect all that much at first.

The new dub is serviceable, but it's been a long time since I heard (once) the ADV dub. Will check back for more compares.
eely225

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
I was pretty disappointed by the new dub. To be fair, Johnny was pretty comparable as Takaki. Also, Kanae's VA was pretty good, if a bit mousy.

But Akari's voice was just bland. It lacked a lot the finesse from the original.

Which was my main complaint with the "updated" script. If they were trying to be more literal, they managed to sacrifice fluidity and emotional impact for technical correctness. I'm not a Japanese speaker, but the script really lacked a lot of the impact that the original had.

But regardless, I don't think that whatever they were shooting for could justify a re-dub, regardless.
souleater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
I thought subscribers got 720p. I thought that's what my annual subscription was supposed to pay for. Looks fine in the little window on my computer, but as soon as it goes fullscreen on either my PC LCD or my plasma.... nope. I'll wait for DVD.

While people say 480p is regular DVD quality, that's really not true in the real world of streaming. It's just higher quality than the usual YouTube.

For those five minutes, I liked the voices, though. Smile

How are they supposed to make 720p out of 480p? If you want an upscale, just click "fullscreen" and it will accomplish the same thing, just at a much lower bitrate.

By the way, DVDs are no better than 480p, so not sure why you'd want to wait for it.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

This is exactly my complaint with streaming. I just tried watching one of the new Naruto eps on hulu a couple days ago, and switched it over to 480p, but the video box was still tiny. Pretty much, they have a 480p encoded video streaming inside a 480x272 box, maybe slightly larger. A 480p video would fill up two thirds of my 720p HDTV screen. The stream did not.

This is why someone else said they would wait for the DVD, because it is native 720x480, and will actually be larger than the 480p stream, even if it is only 720x400.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
souleater wrote:
How are they supposed to make 720p out of 480p? If you want an upscale, just click "fullscreen" and it will accomplish the same thing, just at a much lower bitrate.
If you'd have read his post, you'd note that as a subscriber, he was expecting 720p, not 480p
Quote:
By the way, DVDs are no better than 480p, so not sure why you'd want to wait for it.
Bitrate. A handful of kbps streaming vs mbps on the DVD (even if it is MPEG2), and the DVD will win hands down. Crunchyroll has always looked like Macroblock Hell due to skimping on the bitrate.
souleater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
If you'd have read his post, you'd note that as a subscriber, he was expecting 720p, not 480p

Right, and I was wondering why they would expect 720p from a 480p source. Crunchyroll can't do magic and pull 720p content out of 480p. If you want an upscale, just click fullscreen.

Quote:
Bitrate. A handful of kbps streaming vs mbps on the DVD (even if it is MPEG2), and the DVD will win hands down. Crunchyroll has always looked like Macroblock Hell due to skimping on the bitrate.

It's impossible to stream DVD quality, so you have to have realistic expectations. H.264 is a far superior codec to MPEG2, especially for anime. So simply comparing bitrates is not really fair.

Streaming is always going to have limitations. Ever notice when you watch HDTV dish/cable that it's also macroblock hell? That's because the bitrates for HDTV dish/cable are scarcely better than for standard def DVDs (despite having, what, 2.5 - 5 times as many pixels?) . That's just the limitation of the medium, and the price you pay for convenience.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
I'm sorry but... I just can't condone the viewing of Makoto Shinkai anything on Crunchyroll. I just can't.

Same here. As much I like enjoy hearing Johnny Young Bosh's english dub, I will not be part of a criminal activity. I'll rent the second version from Netflix or purchase it from Best Buy. Those fan subs hurt the companies enough, watching free without supporting any company other than illegal downloading isn't going to happen for me. Not to mention that the quality would be greatly lessened. If I want to watch anime, the quality must be at least somewhat clear and easy to see.

Makoto Shinkai deserves much more respect than that.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Splitter wrote:
I'm sorry but... I just can't condone the viewing of Makoto Shinkai anything on Crunchyroll. I just can't.

Same here. As much I like enjoy hearing Johnny Young Bosh's english dub, I will not be part of a criminal activity. I'll rent the second version from Netflix or purchase it from Best Buy. Those fan subs hurt the companies enough, watching free without supporting any company other than illegal downloading isn't going to happen for me. Not to mention that the quality would be greatly lessened. If I want to watch anime, the quality must be at least somewhat clear and easy to see.

Makoto Shinkai deserves much more respect than that.

You realize that there's likely revenue being shared back up the chain via watching on CR (and click an ad or two)? Plus it'll lend credence to arguments to produce more Makoto Shinkai anime and release to global audiences.

I wasn't sure from your post if you're cursing them for their past sins or if you honestly think it'd be "watching free without supporting any company" even now on CR.

-Tofu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8