• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Durarara!! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Xagzan wrote:
A Ferrari is a high end luxury car. I do not believe DRRR is a "high end" anime, or at least not one worth $100 more than series like GitS, FMA, or even its predecessor Baccano (I actually don't believe any anime should be considered a luxury item in the way a Ferrari is, but that's another matter).

Anyway, this is getting away from my only concern, which was to find out if there was word on a normally priced DRRR set in the future. Apparently there is not. Disappointing.

Yes, because telling us about that now would be such brilliant business strategy.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, you people make it sound like $130-150 is high way robbery for an anime series!

You are spending $5-6 bucks an episode at that price, that's not a WHOLE lot when you think about it. If you like the damn show SAVE FOR IT. SAVE FOR IT. SAVE FOR IT. It's not a hard concept to understand. I'd say Anipelx spent 10 grand an episode to get it dubbed, that's $260,000 that they spent out of their pocket, not from the Japanese parent company. THEY NEED TO MAKE A PROFIT. So what if they're not pricing it as cheap as Funimation. They're allowed to, seeing as they doesn't have such a wide range of anime that fans can buy for them to rely on for an income. They're not nearly as large as Funimation either.

THE DURARARA ANIME IN THE USA IS PRICED HALF OR EVEN LOWER THAN WHAT THE JAPANESE ARE PAYING!!! BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE NOT SPENDING $600 ON 1 SERIES!!!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda hard to get people to pay attention to your point WHEN YOU KEEPS USING ALL-CAPS AND BOLD FONT LIKE THIS.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Xagzan wrote:
A Ferrari is a high end luxury car. I do not believe DRRR is a "high end" anime, or at least not one worth $100 more than series like GitS, FMA, or even its predecessor Baccano (I actually don't believe any anime should be considered a luxury item in the way a Ferrari is, but that's another matter).

Anyway, this is getting away from my only concern, which was to find out if there was word on a normally priced DRRR set in the future. Apparently there is not. Disappointing.

Anime IS a luxury item, your importing something from a foreign country into a niche market in this country. Some titles have a wider possible market and are priced lower by companies hoping to make money on number of buyers less so on price. This title is going for the "fewer buyers, higher price" approach. And again, you don't find it worth that much, but others do and that's what matters.

It is not the job of Aniplex to provide a title to you at a price you find appropriate, it's their job to maximise their profit, and sell it to the greatest number possible at the greatest price possible. There are enough people willing to buy the release at this price point that they would make the most profit, even if there would be more at a lower price point the number of people buying it wouldn't make up for the lowing of price.
And Fencedude5609 is right in this particular instance, saying that they are planning on releasing a cheaper version of the title now would be plain stupid. Check again in a few years.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see people finally in support of the pricing Aniplex asks. They are putting the "luxury" back in anime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:43 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I'm glad to see people finally in support of the pricing Aniplex asks. They are putting the "luxury" back in anime.

See, I don't get this attitude. Why is luxury a good thing? Unlike NISA which licenses shows that likely no other R1 distrib would pick up (i.e House of Five Leaves), Aniplex snags titles other companies would release more cheaply if they weren't around. I think a NISA premium edition of Durarara!! would have been pretty kick-ass too, and would have been $50 cheaper. High prices...yay? I just don't get that mentality.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am Reply with quote
It would have been around the same price. $120.

In my eyes anime has always been a luxurious imported item. Aniplex sets are where it's at for North Americans. They make me proud to be a patron of this wonderful medium.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 am Reply with quote
No, a 2-cours BD only PE of Durarara!! would have gone for $96 ($48 for each set) at TRSI, assuming NISA kept its usual prices for that type of release. Mind you, it would have been sub-only. But $50 extra for a dub seems a bit excessive, to me. Especially considering the dub already existed.

No, what it comes down to is that there are collectors like me who value the actual content (i.e. the episodes themselves instead of the trinkets and packaging) of a title and then there are those collectors who put a premium on paying through the nose. It makes their hobby seem more "special" if they have to pay a bundle for shit. Rolling Eyes
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm over paying for these titles. I think we aren't paying enough for most of the things we buy. I believe that their pricing will help to sustain our weak market.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
You mean the weak western market, correct? I've seen no indication the Japanese are having issues, as if the economy and the tsunami have had absolutely no affect.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
For me luxury should be on the discs, or the added content, not in the wrapping.

Lunchboxes and key-rings, steelbooks, postcards and posters can take a hike. Soundtrack CDs, artbooks, production notes, commentaries, making of documentaries, that's stuff that I'd pay extra for. I look at my Patlabor movie bricks and I see value there.

You're getting 4 discs with 26 episodes, plus OPs and EDs... in a lunchbox with trinkets that will lose their value immediately, and that you'll never have any use for.

All that said, the price isn't too excessive for all that. If they lose the junk, and reduce the RRP to $150, I'd bite. I just don't have room for the crap anymore.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah western market. Aniplex of America pricing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
I don't think I'm over paying for these titles. I think we aren't paying enough for most of the things we buy. I believe that their pricing will help to sustain our weak market.

I don't buy that assumption. Funi and Sentai don't seem like they are teetering on the brink. In fact, I'd wager they generate higher net profits per year than AoA does. The only reason why AoA can do what it does is because it is a wholly owned subsidiary of a much larger Japanese company as opposed to privately owned companies like Funi and Sentai. If it had to survive on only the money it generated from it's NA release strategy, I bet it would fold.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Time will tell. Until then I will continue to support my company just as you do for NIS America. I will continue to add their beautiful products to my home video collection, both domestic and import. I will do the same for Bandai Visual and continue to hope that one day they may re-establish production in the North Americas. That would be AWESOME.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
And I will continue to buy AoA products as well. Hey, I'm not a huge fan of their pricing policy, but I still wish them well as I do for all other R1 distribs. It's funny you mention Bandai Visual, however - they, along with Geneon/Pioneer, attempted the AoA model in NA and failed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 15