• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Durarara!! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:56 am Reply with quote
I think it was just a very very bad time for them to make their way into our region. Everything was just falling to pieces around them (brick and mortar distribution, the high definition format war, the shift in pricing to cour sets, etc) They did release some solid products in their short time with us, all of which I'm proud to say I own each and every one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
But virtually everything you mentioned, with the exception of the HD format war (and even that still sort of exists with DVD vs BD), still pertains today. Again, just more evidence that the high price, low volume model is a very dicey proposition in NA. But, as you say, time - that most inexorable of all Judges - will tell if AoA can pull it off.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 am Reply with quote
We can only assume but I believe they invested a lot of funds into that joint HD-DVD venture with Toshiba for FREEDOM. I don't know if they had to finish out the release under some contractual agreement or such, but if you watch old panels from '07 where they poll the audience, Blu-ray always outnumbered. The other ridiculous thing they were doing with was trying to sell their extremely high end products on the shelves at stores. Just imagine how many of those were sent back to the distributor lol. Really puzzling stuff they did.
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
THE DURARARA ANIME IN THE USA IS PRICED HALF OR EVEN LOWER THAN WHAT THE JAPANESE ARE PAYING!!! BE GRATEFUL YOU'RE NOT SPENDING $600 ON 1 SERIES!!!

Sewingrose wrote:
It is not the job of Aniplex to provide a title to you at a price you find appropriate, it's their job to maximise their profit, and sell it to the greatest number possible at the greatest price possible. There are enough people willing to buy the release at this price point that they would make the most profit, even if there would be more at a lower price point the number of people buying it wouldn't make up for the lowing of price.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I don't think I'm over paying for these titles. I think we aren't paying enough for most of the things we buy. I believe that their pricing will help to sustain our weak market.

I can't help but wonder if you guys have read Justin Sevakis' Anime Econont Part 2 article from earlier this year? As Justin points out, the only reason Japan sustains such high prices is because video rentals have traditionally been the focal point of the disc media business in Japan, and the industry doesn't really take individual consumers into account when they set their prices. Since the focus in the US is exactly the opposite, it's no surprise that prices are much lower. The customer pool is much larger and most sales have fewer middlemen taking their cut.

I don't know what the ideal price in America is for DRRR, but it's definitely not the Japanese price. As long as our video markets are so fundamentally different, that disparity is always going to exist.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
Banden wrote:

Sewingrose wrote:
It is not the job of Aniplex to provide a title to you at a price you find appropriate, it's their job to maximise their profit, and sell it to the greatest number possible at the greatest price possible. There are enough people willing to buy the release at this price point that they would make the most profit, even if there would be more at a lower price point the number of people buying it wouldn't make up for the lowing of price.

I can't help but wonder if you guys have read Justin Sevakis' Anime Econont Part 2 article from earlier this year? As Justin points out, the only reason Japan sustains such high prices is because video rentals have traditionally been the focal point of the disc media business in Japan, and the industry doesn't really take individual consumers into account when they set their prices. Since the focus in the US is exactly the opposite, it's no surprise that prices are much lower. The customer pool is much larger and most sales have fewer middlemen taking their cut.

I don't know what the ideal price in America is for DRRR, but it's definitely not the Japanese price. As long as our video markets are so fundamentally different, that disparity is always going to exist.

Yep I read it, and it was definitely informative. But here's the thing though, we're importing the series from Japan, and since the Japanese have such a high price point system, even if it's because they're based on a completely different system, it will affect the price of the products here. Mainly do to reverse importation fears, but other factors as well.
Anime is a Japanese thing, and it's quite possible we're going to need to pay Japanese prices at some point to continue to support physical releases of titles. (That's why the increase of legal streams is such a godsend).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The NA anime distribution industry better pray it never needs Japanese prices to survive because any attempt to implement that across the board is doomed to failure. AoA can get away with being one of the only companies to try the high-price/low-volume approach because it is bank-rolled by a larger parent company. AoA is basically an experiment and we'll see how they do over the long-haul.

NA is a secondary market for anime. We shouldn't have to pay primary market prices. Anime is made for Japanese audiences without any regard for what we want or like. Nothing wrong with that, it's the nature of the beast, but it also makes it impossible to make a Japanese pricing policy work here, except in certain limited situations.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
You people do KNOW why Aniplex brought over the titles that they did, right?

They were so popular in Japan that no one else could afford to license them. Yeah, that's right, if Aniplex didn't bring over that stupid magical girl show, no one else would've been able to.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe that when the Eva Rebuild films get licensed so easily, and those are the guaranteed top sellers in Japan. Maybe it's because a BD for one movie only runs you so much, while a TV series goes for more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

They were so popular in Japan that no one else could afford to license them. Yeah, that's right, if Aniplex didn't bring over that stupid magical girl show, no one else would've been able to.

Bullshit. Pulling unsubstantiated claims out of your butt simply wastes everybody's time. Since you are clearly clueless, let me help you out. Go to Puella Magi Madoka Magica's ANN Encyclopedia page. Scroll down to the Japanese companies box. Check out the company names listed under Production. Notice the very first one? Aniplex. Gee, is that ringing any bells for you, Sparky? Is the huge mystery as to how Aniplex of America ended up with the PMMM NA license clear to you now or do you still need to be lead around by the nose? Rolling Eyes
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't believe that when the Eva Rebuild films get licensed so easily, and those are the guaranteed top sellers in Japan. Maybe it's because a BD for one movie only runs you so much, while a TV series goes for more.

Those movies weren't cheap for Funimation, either. But it had enough fans for it to cover the cost in the end...maybe.

Blood- wrote:
Bullshit. Pulling unsubstantiated claims out of your butt simply wastes everybody's time. Since you are clearly clueless, let me help you out. Go to Puella Magi Madoka Magica's ANN Encyclopedia page. Scroll down to the Japanese companies box. Check out the company names listed under Production. Notice the very first one? Aniplex. Gee, is that ringing any bells for you, Sparky? Is the huge mystery as to how Aniplex of America ended up with the PMMM NA license clear to you now or do you still need to be lead around by the nose? Rolling Eyes

But yet, Aniplex STILL allows Funimation to license their stuff. The license costs depends on how well it does in Japan. The magical girl show, top seller, no one could afford it. It's as simple as that. AoA doesn't get everything that Aniplex has rights to, just things other companies can't afford.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

And what is your source of information that only Aniplex of America can afford certain licenses? Like I said before, you are simply pulling that claim out of your butt. It's stupid. AoA doesn't license every Aniplex show, but it is not much of a stretch to assume that they are in the catbird seat when it comes to cherry-picking certain highly desirable titles ... like PMMM. Anyway, you've already demonstrated the fact that your ignorance is impenetrable so I am making my point for non-idiots to read and understand.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Laughing

And what is your source of information that only Aniplex of America can afford certain licenses? Like I said before, you are simply pulling that claim out of your butt. It's stupid. AoA doesn't license every Aniplex show, but it is not much of a stretch to assume that they are in the catbird seat when it comes to cherry-picking certain highly desirable titles ... like PMMM. Anyway, you've already demonstrated the fact that your ignorance is impenetrable so I am making my point for non-idiots to read and understand.

At least I'm not complaining about Anipelx's pricing just because a full animes series can't be bought under $100. There prices are doing well enough, just because anime fans like to buy anime cheap, doesn't mean THEY should be forced to lower their profits just because anime fans with no money don't want to put up the money for their titles.

Yeah? SO what if you can buy the full series set of one of Bandai's anime legend titles for $30 at most places. Those titles are went though 2 SINGLE volume releases before FINALLY getting a box set release. The anime market in the west went though the crapper when companies stop doing single volume release.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
You know what finally killed the singles release strategy? It wasn't because R1 distribs gave a flying toss about consumer opinion - what finally killed it was that b&m stores put pressure on the distribs. They didn't want space-consuming singles volumes clogging up their shelves.

The R1 distrib industry is not in the crapper. It puts out more titles than I can buy. I'm not super-happy with the AoA approach, but I fully support their right to operate in whatever way they see fit. If they can make some cheddar doing it, more power to them. I've bought a number of their products. That's cool that you don't have a problem with their strategy; you're not alone. It would be nice, however, if you had the maturity to understand that those who find their prices too steep aren't a bunch of spoiled brats looking for bargain basement prices. They have a legitimate view that is appropriate to the realities of the NA anime market.
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

release#21126

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puella-Madoka-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008MJRO6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344912575&sr=8-1

Except for Manga UK.

They seem to be able to sell the entire series for ~$40.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
FLEABttn wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:

release#21126

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puella-Madoka-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008MJRO6O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344912575&sr=8-1

Except for Manga UK.

They seem to be able to sell the entire series for ~$40.

First of all, they're NOT spending 10 grand to get one episode dubbed. They can afford a lower price.

Another thing, they SUB-license with Anipex or whoever the hell has the series in the US. They're not haggling a deal with the Japanese, so they're not spending as much money on the series we have over here. US companies get a decent amount of money by doing this and it helps cover dubbing costs.

Some people don't seem to understand how the anime market works over here. First thing, it isn't cheap and many NEED to sell at least 4,000 copies to break even on any project they dub.

Also, those copes of the Aniplex animes those other places are selling. They seem to be missing the extras.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15