• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netcomics Licenses Five New Boys-Love Manga Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I hope Media Blasters, for anime, considers Yamibou or Touka Gettan since they're having a pretty good yuri streak going on. I'd probably buy Yamibou straight up.

Indeed they are. I would buy both of those on the spot, particularly Yamibou...though I'd prefer something that's actually dubbed. =_=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I read Honey Senior, Darling Junior on Netcomics.com. I liked it, but not enough to buy the print volumes (and for less than $2 to read the whole thing, I think it would be worth it to read online, even if you did later want to buy the books). Totally Captivated, on the other hand, is something I've voraciously consumed, both online and in collecting the print volumes.
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll push Honey Senior... to the far end of the wishlist then-- perhaps it'll eventually be up for one of Amazon's "4-for-3" sales in the future (as NetComics' books often seem to be-- that's how I got 8 of the 9 volumes of Boy Princess). Incidentally, I've been following Totally Captivated in print too (and I find it very interesting that the art doesn't have that distinctive "manhwa look", if you know what I mean). Vol.5 is coming out in the near future, so I'm curious-- how far ahead of the print version is the website?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Netcomics is often one volume ahead of any print releases. Totally Captivated is going to finish with volume 6, so there are only a couple of chapters left to go online. Volume 5 is available, actually. I got it a couple of months ago (from JustManga), so try checking around again. You're right about the art. It seems a bit influenced by manga, actually, though there is the definite Korean style as well (particularly the way eyes are drawn).
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Volume 5 is available, actually. I got it a couple of months ago (from JustManga), so try checking around again.
Right you are, it's actually vol.6 that's out in April. Guess I have some catching up to do.

I didn't realize that you can read entire first chapters on their site for free-- I'll be checking that out for future NetComics releases. Too bad other publishers don't do this too, because for every title I might not have bought because of the first chapter, I'd bet there are more that I would take a chance on once I saw the art/story for myself. Anyway, Cait, thanks for the info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Right you are, it's actually vol.6 that's out in April. Guess I have some catching up to do.

Actually, I seriously doubt we'll see volume 6 in print next month. I'm going to guess it'll take at least another month or two.

Quote:

I didn't realize that you can read entire first chapters on their site for free-- I'll be checking that out for future NetComics releases. Too bad other publishers don't do this too, because for every title I might not have bought because of the first chapter, I'd bet there are more that I would take a chance on once I saw the art/story for myself. Anyway, Cait, thanks for the info!

You're welcome. You can also read June titles online (at emanga.com), but their previews are only 15 pages long and you can't buy individual chapters to read (only whole volumes). It's not as great a system, especially since the entire June catalogue isn't on there (not even close) but you can, actually, rent to "own" titles if you really like them (by renting them twice). I haven't liked anything enough there to rent it twice, but I have read quite a few titles that I was never planning on buying (a lot of the YA rated stuff that just didn't peak my interest to own). They also have a couple of the BL novels up there (and you get to rent them for a longer period of time), but I don't know about reading a novel all at once on my computer.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
You can also read June titles online (at emanga.com), but their previews are only 15 pages long and you can't buy individual chapters to read (only whole volumes).
I spent the last 30-40 minutes reading previews on the Netcomics site (and wow, didn't even have to register to do so) and found at least 3-4 titles, mostly by S-Kun, that I would probably buy when they're available (Vibration Life is looking especially good to me). It's also cool that they have a lot of non-manga/manhwa yaoi (titles by Yaoi Press, Studio Kosaru, KOSEN, Dany&Dany, etc.) to sample because I've always been curious about the art in those. I've also just registered at emanga and will probably spend a good long while looking at their previews in the days to come.

Quote:
They also have a couple of the BL novels up there (and you get to rent them for a longer period of time), but I don't know about reading a novel all at once on my computer.
Man, I wish I'd known about these novel previews before I bought Body Language because I wouldn't have gotten it! Anything that helps me avoid disappointing purchases like that is a great plus in my book.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I spent the last 30-40 minutes reading previews on the Netcomics site (and wow, didn't even have to register to do so) and found at least 3-4 titles, mostly by S-Kun, that I would probably buy when they're available (Vibration Life is looking especially good to me). It's also cool that they have a lot of non-manga/manhwa yaoi (titles by Yaoi Press, Studio Kosaru, KOSEN, Dany&Dany, etc.) to sample because I've always been curious about the art in those. I've also just registered at emanga and will probably spend a good long while looking at their previews in the days to come.

There are a few titles on Netcomics that are only a few chapters long and are worth it to just read online (like Love Recycle). I was just looking at one of the novel previews on emanga and while the text is nice and big, there are serious issues with formatting (ie, the view windows cut off a line every single "panel" and the illustration pages don't have different panel sizing). The system needs fixing up...

Quote:
Man, I wish I'd known about these novel previews before I bought Body Language because I wouldn't have gotten it! Anything that helps me avoid disappointing purchases like that is a great plus in my book.[/size]

Body Language was a good premise with poor execution. Could have been so much better. Not nearly as bad as Little Darling was, though. That was the first time I lost interest in a BL novel within the first few chapters.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
the titles announced in this press release [which I can't find on Netcomics' site, I hope they did really announce it (Anime cry)] are all Tokyo Mangasha titles, a young & hip company that publishes really innovative and interesting yaoi. in my book, it is actually the best BL publisher in Japan at the moment.

Tomoko Yamashita was hailed a the best new author in 2008, her manga go really beyond the label "yaoi". Es Em also scores very high in the alternative BL scene.

I write a weekly column on interesting, special, unique BL authors [many not yet published abroad] and I also wrote about Tomoko, if you are interested here is the link:

Simona's BL Research Lab - Tomoko Yamashita
http://www.akibanana.com/?q=node/1352

there are a bunch of other authors and 2 glossaries so far,
so feel free to browse around if you like.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
musouka wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I already seen literally 150 different yaoi titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of these?

"I've seen literally 500 different manga titles on Borders shelves, what's the difference between any of them?"

Don't condescend me. I am being serious. I've read the synapses, flipped through. They are literally all the same thing each time. At least with general manga you can see a wide variety that appeals to different tastes. Luckily each of these are mostly just one volume long.

Most genres of manga appeal to a specific group. In Japan they run in zines & those zines tend to run a particular type of story. It's like Playboy vs Penthouse. At least when I had the time or incentive to check them out in the 1980's, Playboy was a bit classier/artier while Penthouse was a notch or 2 down (Playboy wannabe). Hustler was the flat-out raw zine. Titles that run in Shonen Jump are not going to be the type to run in Asuka. Stuff that runs in Asuka aren't the type to run in BeXBoy & each of these zines are well aware they have a specific audience to appeal to.

My daughter hated Melted Love, tore it apart. It touched me as a very adult sentiment that the one guy was always worried he'd wake up & the other would be gone because in the adult world there are beings like that, who can vanish out of one's life never to be seen again.
Are they similar?
THEY'RE ROMANCES!
My god, what do you want? Romances either end happily ever after or not & the lovers go their separate ways. The 2nd is probably more like the real world, but not exactly what most romance readers are looking for. I know I hate it when the couple aren't together on the last page. Makes it feel like a bit of a wasted effort. It's like the good guys losing to the bad guys in shonen. It's be like picking up a sci-fi anthology only there are no sci fi stories in it. False advertising.
Yaoi is fantasy & a sub-genre of shojo so it's going to reflect shojo plot trappings. Girl hates boy, but they are a couple by the end of the story. Girl likes boy, but is too afraid to speak to him, but something happens & they're together by the end of the story.

Really, can't we boil most stories down to basically a love story?
Really?
In shonen, it's the hero has something he wants to protect(something he loves), so he fights to protect it. There's the former friends turned enemies, but they do say love & hate are just 2 ends of the same thing so we're talking friendship (& isn't like just a mild form of love? Even, in some cases-brotherly love, say-it's as strong or stronger)
So can't we say all stories are basically the same so why bother reading any of them?

Quote:
Pretty much this. e_e Yaoi has to be one of the worst genres around, and this is coming from someone who can at least occasionally tolerate it.

That said, certainly wouldn't mind some more yuri licensed, what little there is anyway.

Yaoi is one of the worst genres around, but you want more yuri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2