• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Impractical Fighting Regalia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
There's so many oddball choices from the Queen's Blade franchise that picking the priestess who specializes in religious erotic dancing {maybe?} and who's outfit is her weapon isn't the most obvious choice.

Menace is just pretty much nude with a hat, a huge necklace and panties.

Still, this is anime and the number one choice is: Every maid in every show. It's so bad that I'm surprised when the girl in the maid uniform doesn't start kicking butt. It's funny that K-On's the show that points out that a full length skirt as well as the frilly apron kind of hinders movement.

As for the poll, I went Taiga. Come on, the show even has an intervention concerning her tsunderity. "You're passive agressive and you have to admit you have a problem!"

The clincher is, of course, "Ryuji is mine!"
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Still, this is anime and the number one choice is: Every maid in every show. It's so bad that I'm surprised when the girl in the maid uniform doesn't start kicking butt. It's funny that K-On's the show that points out that a full length skirt as well as the frilly apron kind of hinders movement.

Emma: A Victorian Romance trounces that trope BTW.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Wait, Sailor Moon didn't make the cut.... I thought for sure that it would. I mean is a non existent school uniform for goodness sake.

All of the ones listed seem more practical then Sailor moon.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
The problem with Sailor Moon's outfit is it looks exactly like her normal school uniform, meaning that there's no way she can hide her identity. At least Superman had the sense to slick back his hair; Sailor Moon doesn't even bother to change her hairstyle.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon hiding her identity wasn't really much of a concern to her. Maybe once in a while, but it's not a major theme like it is in American superhero stuff. Tokusatsu in general (which Sailor Moon was influenced by) is much more laid back about that kind of thing, where you got Kamen Riders transforming in front of everyone, especially the villains.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The problem with Sailor Moon's outfit is it looks exactly like her normal school uniform, meaning that there's no way she can hide her identity. At least Superman had the sense to slick back his hair; Sailor Moon doesn't even bother to change her hairstyle.

It might be worth noting in the original manga she had a mask and her hair color changed from blonde to silver. This was dropped eventually to coincide with the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Oh dear lord, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue...

...those aren't thongs those girls are wearing, they're oversized Maxi-Pads!

It might surprise people to know those exist in the real world. They were not an anime invention.

Melanchthon wrote:

Oh, and speaking of Impractical Fighting Outfits that no one seems to question at all--Strike Witches. Seriouslys, who would be okay with going into combat in just their panties? What if you hit a bug while flying at highspeed? Shouldn't you have some kind of protection?

One word: Magic.

Keep in mind that they also seemed to not have to worry about cold temperatures at altitude. Even at only 5000 feet, the average temperature is a rather chill 42 degrees Fahrenheit, and that's before accounting for flying at speed.

Mikeski wrote:
Mahou shoujo, represent!
Vita... Her front-line teammates get sword and armor and super werewolf powers. She gets...goth-loli frills and a german-speaking combat croquet set?

No talking smack about Graf Eisen. Very Happy

If you compare her barrier jacket to Nanoha's, the coverage is about the same. I suspect the coverage for a magic-infused garment matters more than the material. At least they were consistent enough to imply that Fate's more revealing Sonic Form barrier jacket traded off protection for enhanced speed and maneuverability.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
*Clicks on poll, has only seen one show on it* Well that was anticlimactic.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

It might surprise people to know those exist in the real world. They were not an anime invention.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I'll bet spirit gum is involved somehow...
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:
Oh, and speaking of Impractical Fighting Outfits that no one seems to question at all--Strike Witches. [...] Shouldn't you have some kind of protection?

One word: Magic.

Keep in mind that they also seemed to not have to worry about cold temperatures at altitude. Even at only 5000 feet, the average temperature is a rather chill 42 degrees Fahrenheit, and that's before accounting for flying at speed.

I wondered more about how they never managed to bash their ankle propellers together. Then just told myself, "Self, maybe the props just turn into magic energy when they spin up, or something. Shut up and watch the fight scenes."

TheAncientOne wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
Mahou shoujo, represent!
Vita... Her front-line teammates get sword and armor and super werewolf powers. She gets...goth-loli frills and a german-speaking combat croquet set?

No talking smack about Graf Eisen. Very Happy

I love Nanoha, wasn't talking smack. Smile The article is "impractical" fighting regalia, not "ineffective." I'll add that the croquet mallet's first powerup to "rocket form" makes it a hammer that she can't really stop swinging... Very cool, but impractically so. Cool
Quote:
If you compare her barrier jacket to Nanoha's, the coverage is about the same. I suspect the coverage for a magic-infused garment matters more than the material. At least they were consistent enough to imply that Fate's more revealing Sonic Form barrier jacket traded off protection for enhanced speed and maneuverability.

Signum/Vita seem to be the reverse... Signum wears a bunch of metal on her forearms and hips, and has an ankle-length skirt. Vita's got no physical armor, and her magic skirt stops at the knees (and her arms are half-bare.) But Vita's the bruiser and Signum's the speedy one. (They look like what Hayate wanted them to look like; so they got what you'd expect from saying "we're knights" to a preteen girl presumably raised on Final-Fantasy-esque images of knights. And since Vita's a tiny tsundere, she got some extra "cute" ladled on.)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I tried to find an image or better yet some information on it before my original post, but I couldn't remember what the darn thing was called.

If you want to see a more modern (and even smaller) version of it, just search for c-string thong. (Although you can actually see them with moderate safe search on, I would say they are probably NSFW).

Shenl742 wrote:

I'll bet spirit gum is involved somehow...

It used some type of spring material. I would assume plastic, unless it was strictly for show/tanning and not to get wet, as a spring steel element would rust rather quickly, especially in ocean water.

Mikeski wrote:

I wondered more about how they never managed to bash their ankle propellers together. Then just told myself, "Self, maybe the props just turn into magic energy when they spin up, or something. Shut up and watch the fight scenes."

As I recall, no propellers were even visible on the Striker Units until they were "spun up", which would mean either they folded away somehow or were generated by magic from the start.

Mikeski wrote:
I love Nanoha, wasn't talking smack. Smile The article is "impractical" fighting regalia, not "ineffective." I'll add that the croquet mallet's first powerup to "rocket form" makes it a hammer that she can't really stop swinging... Very cool, but impractically so. Cool

I expected you weren't actually talking smack, thus the smiley. Vita is one of my top 3 favorite characters from Nanoha, so I had to say something.

Good point about "impractical" vs. "ineffective".

Quote:
Signum/Vita seem to be the reverse... Signum wears a bunch of metal on her forearms and hips, and has an ankle-length skirt. Vita's got no physical armor, and her magic skirt stops at the knees (and her arms are half-bare.) But Vita's the bruiser and Signum's the speedy one. (They look like what Hayate wanted them to look like; so they got what you'd expect from saying "we're knights" to a preteen girl presumably raised on Final-Fantasy-esque images of knights. And since Vita's a tiny tsundere, she got some extra "cute" ladled on.)

Another good point.

Signum does have the advantage of being physically larger, and thus more powerful (and able to move faster with heavier armor). In fact, in A's, except for Vita, the Hayate's Wolkenritter appeared to be young adults or nearly so.

Speaking of Hayate, a bit off topic, but am I the only one that gets a slight chill up my spine every time they remember that Hayate is technically more powerful than either Nanoha or Fate? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:48 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I tried to find an image or better yet some information on it before my original post, but I couldn't remember what the darn thing was called.

If you want to see a more modern (and even smaller) version of it, just search for c-string thong. (Although you can actually see them with moderate safe search on, I would say they are probably NSFW).

Figures i'd find one via the Daily Mail....

Quote:
3. Nereids (Daphne in the Brilliant Blue)
The Nereids are a group of bounty hunters in post-global warming future. Most of the Earth is now water, and that is the only logical reason I can come up with why these girls fight crime in revealing underwear. Maybe it's really hot outside? Although, 15-year-old Maia's casual attire is a heavy sweater dress. The audience could suspend their disbelief if their missions took place swimming in the now vast ocean, but that isn't the case.

Actually, upon viewing of the intro alone, one doesn't even bother to change, another is "modestly dressed" when transformed, two have those c-strings, and one changes from a slutty outfit into......another slutty outfit?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
Mine Fujiko's battle regalia often consists of, well, nothing at all except perhaps a G-string.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
I love it that Onizuka won for the anime teacher thing, he's the best teacher I've ever seen in an anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3