• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All Kokoro Connect BDs/DVDs Delayed 1 Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Name one anime in 5-10 recent years that is highly focused on med evil settings, magic, swords etc. Hell TTT is the only one in that span..

What's hilarious about this quote is that SAO doesn't have any magic whatsoever. But since you asked: Shining Hearts, Dog Days, Fate Zero, Sacred Blacksmith, Guin Saga, Slayers Revolution (and R), Tower of Druaga, World Destruction, and the Zero no Tsukaima series.

Not much to say about Kokoro Connect. Apparently there are people who haven't read Ichiki's statement and still believe in the lies and deception wrought by the idiots at 2chan/4chan.

Fate/Zero, Sacred blacksmith and Guin Saga are the only ones that count here. I don't want a series that is high on the harem totem pole or goofy nonsense. I also wish not de-rail this thread any more, but I i'll admit to this I love series like record of loddoss war that take it's self seriously in the fantasy genre.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, Lodoss and anime like it are quite rare in anime, despite what you make think. Sure it came onto the western scene big, so we may believed there was tons more like it, the serious high fantasy setting, non-JRPG-styled, with little in the ways of gags; but there never was. You had Ancient Book of Ys, Weathering Continent, Heroic Legend of Arslan, and perhaps Bastard!! and Berserk to stretch into darker stuff. There's also the lighter and comedic fantasy of Slayers, Gokudo, Those Who Hunt Elves, Rune Soldier Louie, Bakuretsu Hunters, and Ruin Explorers. Those kinds of fantasy anime likely seem the most common variety. I may be missing a few lesser known titles like Mozaika, Landlock, Gaiarth, Ellcia, Gude Crest, Madara, and more, but who's gonna know those besides people actively seeking them out?

Other than that, the best high fantasy anime recently have all been hentai, we still get a lot of that every year. The borderline hentai OVA, depending on whether you count non-explicit sex scenes, Dragon Knight 4 is worth checking out. Good designs, decent action. But yeah, just like cyberpunk and real robot, western-styled fantasy just isn't around anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2