• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Some Viz, Dark Horse Manga Titles Increase in Price

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I think here in Aus the cheaper ones we have are about $16AU and most around $24AU, and I think our dollar is about 70 US cents, so you tell me who is getting ripped off.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
kazana144 wrote:

I thought Canadians didn't have to pay sales tax on books.

Because... not paying taxes for books makes sense? Unless you are from Alberta it's the same as Oregon...

But anyways no, for anything printed (books, greeting cards, etc) we have TWO prices: American and Canadian. ...then we got screwed when our dollar went up the companies just started printed the over-priced Canadian amount instead of both...

DuskyPredator wrote:
Well I think here in Aus the cheaper ones we have are about $16AU and most around $24AU, and I think our dollar is about 70 US cents, so you tell me who is getting ripped off.

Ouch! Anime hyper For as long as I can remember with my eBay purchases AUS even when paying in CAD is rather low. The lower you are, the more you pay.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Honestly, it's not surprising in today's economy. Plus 10 to 15 years ago I was paying 15 to 20 dollars for a volume of manga so really if it's still in the 10 to 15 dollar range I can't really complain about it.

But there should be a price difference between today's bricks and the full-sized splats of old.
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:
Just because the retail price has gone up, doesn't mean you're beholden to that price.

Sure, let the retailers take the hit. Who cares about them.

There are many of us who do...
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
The reality is that if retailers have to cut prices 25-40% off MSRP to move manga (and cut their margins respectively), there are going to be a lot fewer choices for fans in the future. The current trend is very disturbing, and these price increases just put retailers like us in a box. Do we pass the increases on and risk reduced sell through, or keep the current price levels at decreased margins?

..but (putting aside having semi-opposed market motives, value versus profit) we are, ironically, in the same boat. There have been a bunch of times when I've berrated myself over holding off a purchase over a few dollars (or less) because it is such an minor incremental cost against the periodic sales. However, at the end of the day, that minor incremental cost, when magnified over the whole, can add up real fast.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
That really sucks. I just went to Borders today (and though the parttiulcar store I went to never really has a big selection) what they had was horrible. many of the books weren't volume ones. or twos. The only series that have two of every book of was Naruto.

But don't fret. There is a bookstore coupon thread in the retail section. I've made it a priority to update every Tuesday. I've got the coupons listed and you can print them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Well, it's finally hitting the manga side of things. I don't mean just this, but this coupled with things like Tokyopop greatly reducing the titles that they put out, the death of Shojo Beat, ect. Honestly, it saddens me. I have never read a scanlation, and as long as no series that I'm currently reading is officially dropped, then I see no reason to ever do so. (Although I might as well start with Gunslinger Girl since it doesn't seem like anyone will pick that up since ADV manga is dead).

But, really $1 or $2 is enough to make people boycott a whole company's releases? That's pretty moronic. Hell, most Viz releases were $8.99 compared to Tokyopop's $9.99 (now $10.99) and Del Ray's $10.99. So basically now manga is going to be $10.99 across the board. Baww, cry, bitch, ect. While I don't have access to the financial statements of these various companies, I'm willing to bet that they're not making massive profits and are trying to squeeze every last dollar they can out of the consumer. It's a niche hobby, and as such it's very sensitive to fluctuations in the economy.

Ah well, wasted words. People raising the biggest stink over this probably didn't buy much to begin with and are just trying to justify their thievery by going entirely to scanlations.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
Congratulations guys. You now know what it's like to be Canadian. (And assuming the Canadian price goes up to, I guess I know how it feels to be...British? Or maybe Australian?

Sheleigha wrote:
kazana144 wrote:
I thought Canadians didn't have to pay sales tax on books.

Because... not paying taxes for books makes sense? Unless you are from Alberta it's the same as Oregon...

Yeah but does anyone in Alberta actually read? Wink
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
Alright, this is getting out of hand. I'd say about 40% of posts in here (rough guess, I didn't actually count x.x) are people telling others to quit your bitching because $1-$2 isn't that much, another 40% is people comparing the US increase to how much they already have to pay in their countries and saying we shouldn't be putting up such a stink, another 19% is actually people just saying this sucks because the economy is shit and this means the last few series that were cheaper than ten bucks per volume are no longer, and exactly 1% were actually people saying that Viz has lost them as a customer.
kensukeyura wrote:
...Huh? I've been buying mostly Viz manga because it's cheaper than Tokyopop and such. Viz will be losing my business, with these price increases and Shojo Beat's death too. Epic fail Viz epic fail...
^^^ this guy.
And I don't think I've seen more than 2 people even mention that they read scanlations, but yet we've got people in here saying "Oh, when your manga gets too expensive, you run to your scans!" There seems to be way, way too much initiative to be the first, or second, or third, or twentieth, to bash those who "don't contribute to the fandom," whether there is any actual evidence of such people having even posted here. Get off your freaking high horses and get down in the battle with the rest of us. You're not the only ones who can see the big picture, dammit... x.x

braves wrote:
The JP volumes are released every 3 months too, so they won't far behind by a lot. They'll be consistently 1 or 2 volumes behind.

Ah, I don't really follow the JPN releases of Naruto, but Bleach comes out bi-monthly, aside from a few 3 month releases here and there, usually to account for larger than normal volume releases, so I just guessed that all WJ series released like that, since they're all in the same mag. Seems I guessed wrong.

And finally, yes, I will still buy the series I buy now, yes, the increase does bug me, but no, this won't make me read any more scans than I do now, which is one, Bleach... though I buy both the US and JPN releases of the volumes as well... I know, I'm a freak... x.x
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'll still keep buying because I like the feeling of owning a tangible copy, even though yes the USD exchange against GBP is cr*p right now (last volume of XXXholic cost me 8.50GBP...). Tokyopop put their prices up a pound for the UK as well as a dollar in the States, and a pound is still more than a dollar, so you've come out fairly lucky. I just hope official Viz releases for the UK stay their current lovely price (5.99 GBP for the latest Otomen and Genbu Kaiden Smile )
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:
at least it's not $50 per volume like back in the day.

ture that. 9.99 is a good price, I just liked paying the discount. I am currently collecting Reborn and sad that it has to increase in price
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Yeah but does anyone in Alberta actually read? Wink

Oh, ouch! Razz Not that I'm actually in Alberta or anything (hurrah for TO, the centre of the universe!).

But yes, we most definitely pay tax on books. And have higher prices to begin with.

And, just for the record, when those stores were offering books at US cover price, they were losing a fair amount of their profit per book, since they had to pay the publishers based on Canadian price. So while it's nice, it's also a risk because doing that could easily have driven some independent stores out of business.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

And, just for the record, when those stores were offering books at US cover price, they were losing a fair amount of their profit per book, since they had to pay the publishers based on Canadian price. So while it's nice, it's also a risk because doing that could easily have driven some independent stores out of business.

Its true. I just thought it was amusing that greeting card companies STOPPED printed US price on them during the time. Stupid over priced greeting cards...

In a perfect world, maybe ONE DAY we can pay just the same amount as American items. Sad enough too that video games here went back up $10-15 bucks Sad *shakes fist at currency*

Well, at least CAD is at a steady .89 for the time being Smile
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Exactly, with Borders Rewards, I could already buy most manga for $6-9. This increase won't me hurt that much.

Too bad the coupons aren't usable on Borders.com, AND they axed the Special Order system (Order Book, they bring it in for free, and then you pay for cost of book) in favor of Pay Full Price + Shipping Fees. AND you can't even get your Rewards for that or use the coupon!!

Sad really, I actually was getting quite interested in Yakitate!! Japan. Hey Viz, you have one reason why prices are going up. Borders makes it hard to get titles that people want!!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it is sad that Borders can't afford to stock the amount of titles that they used to. I prefer giving them my business, but when they don't have a volume that I want in their store, I just go to other online retailers that sell them cheaper and with free shipping. I prefer buying in a B&M, but if I have to buy online, then I'll go with the cheaper route.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
marie-antoinette wrote:

Its true. I just thought it was amusing that greeting card companies STOPPED printed US price on them during the time. Stupid over priced greeting cards...

In a perfect world, maybe ONE DAY we can pay just the same amount as American items. Sad enough too that video games here went back up $10-15 bucks Sad *shakes fist at currency*

Well, at least CAD is at a steady .89 for the time being Smile

Well, getting gouged with the books did suck, but for me, the Canadian dollar going up was awesome, because I import most of my anime from the U.S. so it was a pretty sweet deal.
At any rate, this news doesn't really bother me too much. I generally only buy one or two books about twice a month when I get my tip out money, so to have an extra dollar or two taken out of what is essentially extra cash doesn't bug me at all. That and I remember the days when it would cost about $15-17 for one volume, and it was gigantic and had the art flipped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4