• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metrocon Posts Statement After Founder's Arrest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Excuse me but this underage girl waited four freakin' years before reporting this incident. And believe it or not, people sometimes lie about being raped. Shocking, I know! But it does happen. This girl probably became obsessed with him and when he pushed her aside, she decided to get revenge. Unless, she has some concrete evidence, which is unlikely after four years, this girl doesn't have a leg to stand on. Course, nowadays, when it comes to child molestation, no evidence is needed, just an accusation.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know either way what happened, but neither do you. Of course sometimes people lie about being raped, but what bothers me is that this is the default assumption among anime fandom. And why? Because the alleged perpetrator is "one of us", that is, shares a hobby and has been active in the community.

Believe it or not, the fact she didn't say anything for three years doesn't in any way prove she's a psychotic stalker who made it all up. It happens a lot that rape victims stay silent for months or years, especially young people, especially if they didn't think of it as rape at that time, and so on and so on.

That you and many others assume that she must be lying, and describe speculations concerning what happened that make her look bad, is really not sending the best of messages.
If anime fandom wants to be respected and not considered potential sex offenders, they should take cases like this more seriously, and make it a little bit more clear that they disapprove of one of them taking advantage of minors sexually. Instead of, you know, sending a message of "that crazy whore probably deserved it". o_O
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
I meant she MIGHT be lying! You say I'm making assumptions but you are too. And no, I'm not automatically defending this guy because he's "one of us". I'm well aware that there are some actual creeps in the anime fandom. But at this point we don't really know anything except that an accusation has been made so let's not jump to conclusions about either one of these people.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This is speculation:
Quote:
This girl probably became obsessed with him and when he pushed her aside, she decided to get revenge.

It's not even based on any available information, but a complete fabrication. You also say she waited "four freaking years", the word "freaking" in that context does not make your comment neutral. Whether you intended it or not, but your comment works towards painting the girl in a bad light.
You suggest she might be lying, and I think that's a damn dangerous idea to bring up in a case like this. It is not a normal reaction to hear about a crime and immediately declare that maybe it didn't happen and the victim made it up. So why is this the common reaction around here?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Look not only did this girl wait four years but she has no evidence; basically it's a case of he said/she said at this point. Now, if there is any evidence, then I'll be the first to bash this guy. But the key word here is EVIDENCE, of which there is currently none. If you're going to make a serious accusation like this you have to be able to back it up. You can't just decide one day, years after the fact, to come forward. And that's why people are suspicious.

But it's apparent that you've already decide this guy is guilty, so no point in arguing with you.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Do we know for a fact that there is no evidence? (Or witnesses or the like?)

Look, I simply don't think that it is the right response to a charge of statutory rape to say, as the Metrocon people have done, that this is all just a nasty attack on their convention and anime fandom.
Capella

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
tebalith wrote:
Do we know for a fact that there is no evidence? (Or witnesses or the like?)

Look, I simply don't think that it is the right response to a charge of statutory rape to say, as the Metrocon people have done, that this is all just a nasty attack on their convention and anime fandom.

The staff at Metrocon are close to the former CEO so they may know more than we do about this case. This sort of indicates that: "METROCON is a family event, and it always will be, and should anyone doubt the safety of their children at this event because of an accusation based on a story from years ago that has been twisted to an unidentifiable state"

I assume that means that the accusation brought against Roy Harms maybe false but like others have said it's her word against his unless she has some evidence. Either way I don't think anyone here is trying to say that that she "deserved what she got" or "she's obviously lying" just that it is suspicious to wait almost 4 years and to coincidentally do it a week before the convention. There's nothing wrong with speculating and the Metrocon staff may have a reason to believe that it is an attack against the convention if they knew the victim.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Look not only did this girl wait four years but she has no evidence; basically it's a case of he said/she said at this point. Now, if there is any evidence, then I'll be the first to bash this guy. But the key word here is EVIDENCE, of which there is currently none.

I don't believe you. Because, see, there is evidence; a woman has come forward and asserted she was sexually abused. That's a statement, from a witness. Who may or may not be lying, and whose evidence thus may or may not be reliable, but who certainly, indisputably, unquestionably exists, and whose evidence likewise.

Proof? No. Evidence? Certainly.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
No, that's a statement from the victim. A witness is someone who sees the crime being committed; a victim is the person against whom the crime is committed. In other words, there is NO evidence and you cannot convict a person on an accusation alone. At least you shouldn't be able to; plus if that were the case there's probably be a whole lot more people in jail. Sheesh, where is CSSYueh when you need her?
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
No, that's a statement from the victim. A witness is someone who sees the crime being committed; a victim is the person against whom the crime is committed.

So... if someone sees a crime being committed, and that crime is committed against them, they are both a victim and a witness.

Yes? Or are you going to cook up some other distinction that entirely coincidentally lets you ignore just this one person's recollection of what happens?
tebalith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Capella, the staff at Metrocon is hardly unbiased.

The link posted on the previous page goes to a post by the alleged victim, where she speaks about her (alleged) relationship with the man. That post was made in January this year, so it's not like nothing was ever mentioned about the case before this June. The post also implies that other girls might have had relationships with him, if that's true, there might be potential witnesses. She also says "a lot of people knew what was going on". So if she is saying the truth, she might have witnesses. If this is really her, her blog, and if she was the one to get the police involved. Theoretically, it might have been anybody else, I guess? The information has been out there, online, for months, including both parties' names (again, if this IS her).
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
tebalith wrote:

Obviously they said much more than that, but if it is what the person who wrote it believes, and if they have a reason to believe it, then is it not exactly the right response? This is a convention, not some government agency. The people involved are friends, and sometimes you choose to defend your friends.

The accuser is obviously known to these people, and by her own assertion "its common information, because I made it so 3 years ago, after I left the convention group." You were certainly correct that "it happens a lot that rape victims stay silent for months or years." It's a reasonable point to reflect upon. because she didn't do that. She didn't stay silent, not did she pursue legal options. Instead, by "making it common information" without making a legal accusation she engaged in rumor-mongering, in an apparent attack on Harms' reputation.

Assuming that the people close to Harms may have had direct experience of both her association with him and with the convention, that means that they've had anywhere up to at least 3 1/2 years to reach a conclusion about whether they believe he did what he is accused of or not, as well as whether or not they believe the timing of this (now legal) accusation to be an attempt to hurt Roy and his convention at the same time. If they've chosen to believe that this is the culmination of over 3 years efforts to damage the reputation of the convention's CEO (and by extension, the convention) then they have every right to express that opinion publicly.

I don't have an opinion either way about whether Harms and Ramsey had a sexual relationship. If they didn't, then this is a malicious attack on Harms. If they did, and if every single thing that she's ever said is true, then it still looks like she's pursuing this as a grudge and not a grievance. What her motivations subjectively appear to be don't affect the legality of the situation, or the truth or falsehood of what she says, but it isn't unreasonable if they provoke a loss of sympathy for her and damage her credibility.

Last edited by MokonaModoki on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
How did this go from an already acknowledged consensual relationship with someone under 18 to accusations of rape? Laws in this country when it comes to anything remotely sexual (real or fictional) are just moronic. A story of how a teenager taking nude photos of her own self can be charged with a sex crime just highlights that.

Lothar wrote:
configspace wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone in the US always freaks out about this kind of news. Elsewhere, no one would bat an eye at this. The minimum age of 18 is extremely rare for the rest of the world.

One could write a very large dissertation to answer why this freak-out happens in the US. Everyone from religious conservatives to psychologists to school administrators to journalists to politicians have had a hand in manufacturing this insanity for some sort of personal gain.

"Adolescent" a very recent concept that's not even a century old. Once these adolescents became a deskilled and consuming class robbed of any meaningful voice or social participation, they became sitting ducks for a form of neo-patriarchy that even so-called feminists could get behind = a school-prison-industrial complex engineered to "protect teenage girls" from themselves to serve very political ends.

My thoughts exactly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4