• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tsundere improvement.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3v@n5 +1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:15 am Reply with quote
What any Rie Kugimiya Tsunderes in anime would you like to see either their personality or their physique improved?

I know they're tsunderes, but there "Tsun" is way over the top and their "Dere" is commonly lacking in their personality.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote
3v@n5 +1 wrote:
What any Rie Kugimiya Tsunderes in anime would you like to see either their personality or their physique improved?

I know they're tsunderes, but there "Tsun" is way over the top and their "Dere" is commonly lacking in their personality.

I believe that Rie Kugimiya is *significantly* improved as Happy in Fairy Tail.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
3v@n5 +1, answering your own question in cases like this is expected. The topic is thin enough as it is, so this must be done or the thread may be locked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I like the Rie tsundere the way they are. Less violent would be good...but I don't feel that ruins the characters. I love their dere-dere sides.

Tsundere like Asuka Langley and Kirino on the other hand....>_>

Last edited by Chiibi on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
yeah, really hope she mellows out in season 2
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I like the Rie tsundere the way they are. Less violent would be good...but I don't feel that ruins the characters. I love their dere-dere sides.

Tsundere like Asuka Langley and Kirino on the other hand....>_>

From what little I can recall of Shana, she wasn't too objectionable apart from her sharp tongue. It wasn't until Louise that needless violence became associated with the Rie Kugimiya tsundere stereotype.

Also, Asuka really was messed up in the head. On the other hand, I have no idea what Kirino's major malfunction is.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Quote:
I have no idea what Kirino's major malfunction is.

She has a bad case of "Beautiful Girl Syndrome" or if you prefer "Princess Syndrome". It is what happens when eveyone kowtows to them simply because they are good looking. They get the idea that they deserve this treatment and have no obligation in life except to be beautiful. You can see this in real life in almost any high school.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

From what little I can recall of Shana, she wasn't too objectionable apart from her sharp tongue.

Well, she does spoiler[give Yuuji a black eye when he accidentally falls under her as she's getting dressed]....but that was mostly just hilarious. Anime hyper
It was off-screen too.

Quote:
She has a bad case of "Beautiful Girl Syndrome" or if you prefer "Princess Syndrome".

That and also
spoiler[might be her way of coping with being in love with her real brother.]
Strangely enough, I still can't bring myself to hate her....
momthemeatloaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

Also, Asuka really was messed up in the head. On the other hand, I have no idea what Kirino's major malfunction is.

I feel like this is one reason why people praise her character and say that it feels realistic and believable. She had some painful experiences like spoiler[seeing her mother commit suicide] that resulted in trauma, and led to her tsundere behavior.

Is this a form of "tsundere improvement"? Explaining the exaggerated behaviors in a believable way? Personally I'm a big Taiga fan from Toradora, and I appreciated how her antisocial attitude and treatment of Ryuji seemed to stem from spoiler[how she personally had been treated]. Now clearly not everyone agrees with me on Taiga in particular, but in general do you want to see more explanation for why characters act the way they do?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
momthemeatloaf wrote:
in general do you want to see more explanation for why characters act the way they do?

Well but of course! Background story is normally beneficial to a character in general.

I probably wouldn't have had a problem with Asuka if Gainax had developed her a bit. Which I hear she does get in the new movies along with everyone else!
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
She has a bad case of "Beautiful Girl Syndrome" or if you prefer "Princess Syndrome".

That and also
spoiler[might be her way of coping with being in love with her real brother.]
Strangely enough, I still can't bring myself to hate her....
I get the feeling that it's got something to do with her not being as able to separate reality and fiction as she claims, so she has a hard time comprehending the idea that Kyousuke's interest in her could be anything but sexual. After all, she's barely interacted with her brother for years and spent that time being obsessed with imouto games; even if she knows it intellectually, her gut reactions could easily be coming with the wrong idea in mind.

I've only seen the anime and read the first volume of the manga, so there may be additional details I don't know about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1