• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids CEO Honored

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I think we anime fans should form an anti 4 kids group, that write letters: Clean, dirty and sutff that would make people "Oh my god!" but, that's just thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Toboe has a point. Most animated material is set to appeal to the younger demographics out there, and while there are more mature titles (like Berserk, Hellsing, or Wolf's Rain for example), I'd still say a majority of all cartoons/anime are intended for the 6-12 year old range, you just don't see as much of kid's stuff from Japan because of the unwillingness to license it all.

I mean, I'm sure Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh are good in their original formats too, but given today's children in America, I just don't think they'd care. And as steventheeunuch mentioned, a few of the shows 4Kids has produced here in America pretty much are coinicided as marketing devices, what with all the card games, toys, etc. that are made in conjunction.

Like I said before, if the original plan was to just make money by any means necessary, then it worked. I'm sorry if my view of the truth seems like an act of heresy to those who prefer semblances of original material, but to this point in history, I think Mr. Kahn does deserve this honor for his marketing and financial achievments, whether some of us would like him to or not.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

If you insist on maintaining that argument, though, I hear "Roly Poly Ollie" is actually a very taught political drama, Disney just cuts out all the stuff about welfare reform.

Finally, an American that knows that. That's why you need to watch the uncut version of Nelvana's Rolie Polie Olie on the CBC because the Disney Channel version is super-censored.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Toboe has a point. Most animated material is set to appeal to the younger demographics out there, and while there are more mature titles (like Berserk, Hellsing, or Wolf's Rain for example), I'd still say a majority of all cartoons/anime are intended for the 6-12 year old range, you just don't see as much of kid's stuff from Japan because of the unwillingness to license it all.

I mean, I'm sure Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh are good in their original formats too, but given today's children in America, I just don't think they'd care. And as steventheeunuch mentioned, a few of the shows 4Kids has produced here in America pretty much are coinicided as marketing devices, what with all the card games, toys, etc. that are made in conjunction.

Like I said before, if the original plan was to just make money by any means necessary, then it worked. I'm sorry if my view of the truth seems like an act of heresy to those who prefer semblances of original material, but to this point in history, I think Mr. Kahn does deserve this honor for his marketing and financial achievments, whether some of us would like him to or not.

Well put,Tony K.
Raimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I understand how both sides feel, i too hate the fact that 4kids is getting awarded and i also know that they deserve such an award. we all must understand that some anime is made for kids but the content in that same anime is meant to teach children to become strong. By removing this content you remove the teachings and the show becomes mind numbing dribble to make children become obsesed and spend countless dollars and countless hours on a show that teaches nothing. Might i add he did a well job of doing so...ahahahaha. Anyways, i find it odd that people talk about the many errors that 4kids has done to anime and yet i did not read about the recent and very insulting One piece..., but i shouldn't be getting into that. You are all intelligent and you should know better. The plan is so simple that it is genious, if you hate 4kids that much then stop paying attention to them, just don't endorse them and forget about them. Don't let yourselves be driven by anger and don't let someone elses actions affect you because you will only be playing into their game. Just forget and they won't bother you.

Peace Wink
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Raimaru wrote:
You are all intelligent and you should know better. The plan is so simple that it is genious, if you hate 4kids that much then stop paying attention to them, just don't endorse them and forget about them. Don't let yourselves be driven by anger and don't let someone elses actions affect you because you will only be playing into their game. Just forget and they won't bother you.

Finally, another super-genius has uncovered the evil plan of 4Kids. Yes folks, 4Kids is playing with us, toying with our emotions and sense of anime style. They incessantly license mature, thought provoking, treatises on the human condition such as Pokemon; only to edit and repackage them into 20 minute toy commercials Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
4Kids only pretends to produce material for, well, kids. In fact they are planning to take over the world one step at a time and spread a reign of terror across the planet of Zaibachian proportions. They know the only group standing in their path to world domination is the otaku community, the most intelligent, hard-working, and cleanly fraternal in existence. Viva la resistance.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
4Kids only pretends to produce material for, well, kids. In fact they are planning to take over the world one step at a time and spread a reign of terror across the planet of Zaibachian proportions. They know the only group standing in their path to world domination is the otaku community, the most intelligent, hard-working, and cleanly fraternal in existence. Viva la resistance.

Dammit! Why can't I remember where Zaibach comes from?! GARGH! Anime hyper

[ADDENDUM: Escaflowne, duh! Baka ne.]

Anyway, kudos to the brass for restarting the revolution somewhat inspired by Robotech (which NOBODY has mentioned despite its "merciless killing" of three animes) and the mid-late 90's attempts at Syndie anime. Even more kudos for actually getting the revolution to stick.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
(Digimon never really took off here,

Eh? Digimon was HUGE in the US. Bandai and Saban made a killing off of that franchise in merchandise alone. Heck, Bandai is still releasing new video games in the US and you can still walk into TRU and find newly released toys on the racks (rereleases as box sets, but new prodcut none the less). The first 3 seasons were extremely popular, the only thing holding back the fourth season was that Saban was sold and Disney turned it into a not-so-accessible syndicated production.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
Is it time for the "I'm insecure about being 21 and watching Pokemon so I'm going to call it 'mature' because in one episode Squirtle insinutates that his mother died" argument?

No, in fact, one of the anime series I'm currently collecting on DVD I've been enjoying because it's more of a kiddy anime. Heavy plot is good, but sometimes fluff is nice to.

I was thinking more of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh... if it was anything like the manga version, well, the manga gets some *interesting* content in there (such as a badguy being basically burned alive and such). And then there was Escaflowne, which they *tried* to air severely edited on Fox... that is *not* a kiddy series.

There is such thing as kiddy anime, but not all anime is that. And it's annoying when companies take out the parts that do make it have something more than most the cartoons you see nowadays, even if it's just a smaller thing.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
I was thinking more of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh... if it was anything like the manga version, well, the manga gets some *interesting* content in there (such as a badguy being basically burned alive and such).

The "anything like the manga version" is now available on fansub. Don't expect 4Kids to touch this, as they technically don't even play Duel Monsters.

After reading the manga and watching the episode featuring the same thing, the anime was a little disappointing. Oh, and by the way at the end, spoiler[BAKURA'S A WHITE MAGE!!! ^____^]
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

This is true, but don't forget that just because it's intended for a younger audience doesn't mean that older viewers can't enjoy it too. Some kiddy cartoons and movies also have jokes that the adults who are forced to watch it by the kids in their life can enjoy.

ACDragonMaster wrote:
No, in fact, one of the anime series I'm currently collecting on DVD I've been enjoying because it's more of a kiddy anime. Heavy plot is good, but sometimes fluff is nice to.

Fluff and more "who cares about the point" shows (like Megas XLR) are nice sometimes, but there has to be something that's better than Pokemon for you to watch that's still fluffy...

Joe Mello wrote:
ACDragonMaster wrote:
I was thinking more of the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh... if it was anything like the manga version, well, the manga gets some *interesting* content in there (such as a badguy being basically burned alive and such).

The "anything like the manga version" is now available on fansub. Don't expect 4Kids to touch this, as they technically don't even play Duel Monsters.

After reading the manga and watching the episode featuring the same thing, the anime was a little disappointing. Oh, and by the way at the end, spoiler[BAKURA'S A WHITE MAGE!!! ^____^]

Some fansub group finally thought to sub season "zero"? Took them long enough; I would have thought it would have been subbed back when the Duel Monsters series they have on TV now first went on the air! I remember finding the first 3 episodes somewhere online (up to the first battle with Kaiba at "Magic and Wizards"), so I'm glad I can see the rest of it. I too was a little disappointed with the first 3 episodes, so I'll maintain my statement that the manga is the best (and also purest) version of Yu-Gi-Oh.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
This is true, but don't forget that just because it's intended for a younger audience doesn't mean that older viewers can't enjoy it too. Some kiddy cartoons and movies also have jokes that the adults who are forced to watch it by the kids in their life can enjoy.

That's a good point as well, but I'm sure a majority of parents or adults with children that young could care less if they're only being forced to watch that kind of material. Not that I want to totally disregard whatever fun moments they have as family or friends, but when you look at it in the long run, it's all just a brief and fleeting moment in the journeys of people's lives.

They're just cartoons, and though they can be enjoyable, it probably isn't that important as say.. actually raising these children and trying to maintain both our own lives. Sure, it would be nice to have the luxury of watching a title that could be fun to both younger and older audiences, but in the case of 4Kids's titles, I really don't think it's that big of a loss that we can't see Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, or One Piece, uncut. Yes, I suppose it's unfair that we can't everything we want, but that's how life operates Anime catgrin.

There are oodles and oodles of other titles out there and I'm sure one of them could make a more then worthy substitute, no? Wink
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote
CFizzLe wrote:
Hey guys, we are talking about cartoons. Kid shows to being with. Jesus, grow up some of you.

In case you haven't noticed this is the Anime News Network forums, all we do here is talk about cartoons. If you don't like it you don't have to be here.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
So if we watch any "kid's cartoons" we're immature and should grow up? So we need an excuse like our kids watch this stuff to watch it? Or if we like it that makes us immature? Oh wait, if it has some kind of "adult" twist to it that makes it alright. Can't something be entertaining to someone without there having to be something wrong with the person? i just wanted to get that off my chest.

other than that, many of the fine folks here have already said what i feel. in the end, i don't care about 4kids, i don't care about LIMA, and i sure as hell don't care about some stupid award they give out to people i don't care about. i went through this forum to see if what i expected was true. it was =) right from the start. lots of angry anime fans. heh. do what i do, i don't consider it anime. i figure, it hasn't been released in the US yet then. i came to this conclusion from cardcaptors(a mystic adventure) which was a horrible excuse for a reedit. the reedit wasn't even fun to watch. pokemon on the other hand, i actually enjoyed it. in the beginning. anything that does the same thing over and over again though, gets old real fast.
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote
What people need to realize is that Al Kahn is not being praised for the authenticity of the work he is licensing.

He is being praised for the fact that 4Kids licenses have earn billions of dollars for the industry, and furthermore, have been indirectly or directly responsible for the expansion of anime distribution in the United States and Canada. Licensing and distribution require capital, and it is fairly safe to say that a lot of the titles you all watch were licensed with money made directly or indirectly off the monster-show phenomenon.

What will the average anime fan care about Al Kahn's "recognition"? Probably not a whit.

So settle down, cool the drama, and move on. If you dislike 4Kids, don't buy 4Kids product. It's that simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4