• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Movie Delivers High Ratings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LimeLover J-2-X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:34 am Reply with quote
I think pokemon is a decent show, but not great by any stretch of the mind. It is good to hear that the Deoxys movie did well, as somebody else said that it shows that kids STILL like watching pokemon every now and then. I personally think it represents the popularity of anime as a whole.....anime in general is just getting really popular.

Quote:
It's OK to like Perfect Blue and Dragonball Z, we've got the freedom to choose.

And btw....I dunno if I read this wrong, but since when has Perfect Blue been considered as one of those staples of anime in the same league as Dragonball Z?

Pyon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:31 am Reply with quote
LimeLover J-2-X wrote:
Emerje wrote:
It's OK to like Perfect Blue and Dragonball Z, we've got the freedom to choose.

And btw....I dunno if I read this wrong, but since when has Perfect Blue been considered as one of those staples of anime in the same league as Dragonball Z?

Emerje wasn't saying that. He was saying that people don't have to restrict themselves to only low-brow or only high-brow forms of anime, and should be proud of the freedom to like both "dumb" and "smart" titles, whichever their preference may be (even a preference for both).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lyger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:57 am Reply with quote
Emerje wasn't saying that. He was saying that people don't have to restrict themselves to only low-brow or only high-brow forms of anime, and should be proud of the freedom to like both "dumb" and "smart" titles, whichever their preference may be (even a preference for both).

i agree

and AnimeHeretic

....sorry Confused
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
lyger wrote:
and AnimeHeretic

....sorry Confused

Sure. No problem.
Actually, I saw Pokemon once (my 6 year old nephew wanted to share *his* anime with me) and it wasn't too bad. Had enough humor to make me wish the subbed version was available to evaluate.
Kensai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter how hard we anime fans try, there will always be the mentality that anime is a kids-only genre.

ah i missed those nostalgic days of pokemon bliss. Surprised
but in any case, yeah thats a pretty good point, american society differs from japanese society in that the majority American cartoons are aimed towards a younger audience(ha, Drawn Together). so when Japanese Anime which is more, for the lack of a better word, mature than American Toons, is introduced into American society, the average person would associate it with cartoons, thereby kiddiezing anime.
*shudders* american dubbed One Piece *shudders*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2