• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NPR Talk Manga, Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
He's an award-winning author who was being paid by his publishing company to do a book about the culture; his publishers probably made appointments with all those creators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
ganzo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
hehe, cant believe a post is given to this, and can't believe people get so negative, esp the ones who didn't listen to it, and Im not saying you can't presume stuff and have judgment base on that, but maybe give it a bit more consideration before.....

first npr do good stuff, second talk/nation is a well respected show, third don't expect the host to know everything esp the pronounciation of foreign things or things he is not familiar with. He may be do not know as much as the anime fans out there, but that does not mean he cant do a program on that subject. Being exclusive is not going help anime/manga to go mainstream.

The program was not that bad and I liked it, I can't say its in perfection, but just airing it and make "anime" talk of the nation is already a "good"thing rather than bad. Ok, so the guest and people call in weren't all what I wanted to hear, but hey, I didn't even call in, why bother to complain.

I think the guest was a bit more onto promoting his book rather than doing a deep discussion on anime. And the book is not really an anime discussion all way thing either, he basically got influenced by his son and his son liked anime and manga when little and when grow up he wanted more and so he went to japan to get inside the culture. His dad went along with this and he started to fear his son is going to japan and never come back and marry a jp girl(I really don't know he liked about this or not, cant tell by his tone).

And then they talk about how japanese saw foreigners will never know what is deep inside jp culture(lost in translation come to my mind), hehe funny.

Then they finally talked about anime until the end. They had like guests talking about why the anime boom come so late since jp had it for a long long time, and its all because early ones like akira didn't do much but the junks like pokemon and sailormoon did, which I think its somwhat true but not all. Yet they never said about the culture difference and how US banned jp stuff(esp electronics) for a time.

They also said somthing about jp craz about robot like all the robot anime and manga and how the animators just want to sell those collectables to make money, but then I think the guest did refute that and said its appreciation of art and their job. hehe trust me, everything comes down to the money(nothing wrong about it and everyone appreciate art).

I just can't believe when they see anime the host and guest somehow went back to ancient times and always refer to speed racer and astroboy and I was like mg, a bit too old, then someone call in and says that director of astroboy is anime god to him, I was like hehe ok.

The callers were rather polite people, I wish they had someone dislike anime call in and then the thing would get pretty interesting. The thing was that the topic was not really concrete and anime is a very broad topic to discuss and so callers didn't really know which area they should start, so they generally all talk about whatever they wanted to talk about.

There was this woman who owns anime shop and she started to say why girls and grown ups like anime and that anime have many genres for different people, which was good, but I wish she could go a bit deeper and more in detail, but I guess there was no time for that. And then there was a boy call in and said he likes anime because all the sword fight, the fancy hair are really cool, which make sense if the age he mentioned was true.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote
::dryly::Thank you for that summary of the program; I'm sure we didn't catch ANY of that when we heard it for ourselves.

I'm not saying that Carrey sucked because he wasn't an "otaku," i'm saying that he didn't really seem to know anything about the topic he was speaking on. An example is the robots thing, in which he tried (yet again) to read too much into it. Um...maybe the Japanese like robots because they're so frickin' high tech?! Even in his realizations that he had read too much into stuff, he STILL read too much into stuff. Catch my drift?

And there certainly was a person who called in who disliked manga--the subway lady? Yeah. OK. and Kawasaki did well in combatting it.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
::I'm not saying that Carrey sucked because he wasn't an "otaku," i'm saying that he didn't really seem to know anything about the topic he was speaking on. An example is the robots thing, in which he tried (yet again) to read too much into it. Um...maybe the Japanese like robots because they're so frickin' high tech?!

He pointed out that they don't have migrant workers because they use robots, and that's part of how they maintain a homogenious culture. That's a pretty astonishing insight. I'm glad someone is interested in winnowing out the broader meanings of these cultural obsessions, and if the Otaku hive-mind rejects him for it, that says more about the OHM than about Carey.

Carey's comments about "Gundam" Tomino's uncomfortable balancing act between art and commerce squares exactly with the impression I've gotten from Tomino's interviews.

Carey didn't go there to become King of the Otakus; manga was just a McGuffin for him, a starting point for a broader cultural exploration. And that's fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2