• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam 00 DVD Season 1 Part 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
With all due respect, I don't know what you were looking for in R2, but I was looking for two things. The first being a show that was good on its own merits, the other was a season that was just more of the same from the first.

So you wanted R2 to be good in its own way, but a repeat of the first season? Isn't that something of a contradiction?

I buy for voice actors. Everything else is icing on the cake if one gets a good performance & Lelouche is fun in both languages. The commentaries are a lot of fun also. In one of the commentaries they were talking about how real people do not move like Lelouche--all that posturing & waving arms & it's true-he's fun to watch move & to hear the VA's deliver his lines.

Quote:
What I got was an almost legendary fall in the quality of the writing, and a reliance for introducing flashy new robots to keep people from realising just how bad it all was.

We get Clamp character designs. What else do you want?
We get mech-there's some icing.
We get some great VA performances. There's your ice cream

Quote:
In the end, me rating R2 as Good and not Weak or Bad or Awful is a sign that I am a massive Code Geass fanboy. Looked at objectively it was a show with utterly crappy and plagiarised writing, and absolutely does not deserve any positive rating whatsoever.

Dark Shadows fans used to joke about the writers using Plagiarism 101 for their plots. They only borrowed from Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Chthulu, Dorian Grey, Egyptian mythology & any number of gothic stories.
They made it a lot of fun

Quote:
Anyway, back to Gundam 00, I was looking for exactly the same things as I was with R2, only I also wanted them to make use of the first season's setup and actually do something with those ideas and (especially) those characters. Did we get that? Hell no. Boy did they ever screw up.

The review is of S1 Pt3. Why are we worried about S2 yet?
It's GUNDAM. You're talking about giant tanks that do not exist in reality & whining about plot holes? The first Gundam I watched was Wing & I was so frustrated at how stupid the characters were (god, I just wanted Heero to keep his word & KILL Relena.) The politics didn't work for the hippies, why would it work for a whole society?
But hey-bishies. Midorikawa, Seki, Koyasu, Okiayu. Watch the pretties sound sexy or wonderful & stop worrying about the plot. The writers obviously didn't lose any sleep over it ("Let's put everyone in masks! Then they can behave different!" Take your paycheck & go home, thank you)

And that has worked for pretty much every Gundam title I've seen. Gundam is fan service for mech fans & bishonen for gals & bishojo for guys. The whole point is to sell toys. Can you say our cartoons designed to sell toys are that much more intelligent or coherant?

In this one we get cool looking mech, Yun Kouga (Loveless) character designs, Miki, Matsumoto, Konishi. What more do you want from a 25 minute commercial for robot toys?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Gundam 00 is definitely good stuff. And it definitely heats up in the latter portion of the first season. However, having seen both seasons in their entirety, I have to say that in many ways, the first season is really only there to set up the second season. All the crazy stuff and tragedies happening in the first season put the show in a position to have a powerful second season - which it does. The first season is good, but it's nothing compared to the second.

And as for "missions of the week," they're about as gone as it gets. There's plenty of action here, and definitely plenty of action in the second season, but never again will it follow a "mission of the week" formula. In fact, the second season is laid out quite differently from the first. So, that's definitely something to look forward to. Personally, I look forward to getting it on DVD, so that I can watch the dub, though it would be even better if Bandai were to actually release it on BD (that and Code Geass). Well, I can all dream...

In any case, there are some great twists and revelations in the latter portion of season 1, and that kind of coolness is just getting started. I particularly like how the villain for the second season is someone who pretty much no one could have seen coming until the last few episodes of the first. While not perfect, the plot for Gundam 00 is definitely not weak.

What in god's name are you talking about?

The second season was horrible.

Overpowered Mecha? CHECK
One note villains with no variation in personality? CHECK
Not fixing what was wrong in the first season? CHECK
Removing everything that was good in the first season? CHECK
Moronic villain who has to use a super computer to advance the plot? CHECK
Evil magical negro whose an evil Barack Obama and whose sole purpose is to show how Ribbons controlled the world? CHECK
Derailing all the villains so their crappy? CHECK
Putting Graham in a samurai outfit that makes him look like an idiot? CHECK
Removing any hint of objectivity? CHECK

Like the first season the second season is unable to look at any viewpoint that isn't Japanese, and so is forced to make everyone act Japanese. This is why you have a kurd with a japanese name whose abandoned God because the Japanese have abandoned theist religion.

It claims to be about current events while flat out ignoring those current events. It looks like it was made in 2004, because it certainly ignored the consenquences of the actions like the Iraq War. It condemns countries for not helping out other countries like Sudan, and Somalia while applauding behavior like causing war in the first place.

The problem is that unlike the first season instead of the realistic depictions of foreign leaders we get guys who basically act like heels in professional wrestling, but it gets even worse because the innovators all share the exact same personality. They sneer at humans mocking them while not being able to come up with any plans that doesn't involve blowing crap up and fixing it with Veda.

While the first season improves as the enemies get better in the second seasons the enemies get worst, and are easily defeated in large number by the end. Ribbons in particular comes off as a moron who uses Veda as a crutch, and his final plan is so idiotic that he makes Lord Djbril look like a genius.

Also where as in the first season the enemies where people who where simply defending themselves from the actions of celestial being, in the second they are either removed, or are derailed just so that Celestial Being can be shown as in the right. This is why Graham goes from a man defending the people to a man in an idiotic samurai outfit who needs to be shown that the Japanese way of life is the best. If you need to do that, your heroes need to change, not the villains.

It also copies plotlines from previous series without understanding the consenquences. They copy the Titans because they need o make Celestial Being look good without understand that because of the Titans the people lost faith in the Earth, and the Earth Federation began to collapse.

Considering all of what Mizushima and Kuroda have done to call Gundam 00 a dissapointment would be an understatement.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

In this one we get cool looking mech, Yun Kouga (Loveless) character designs, Miki, Matsumoto, Konishi. What more do you want from a 25 minute commercial for robot toys?

I don't want to put words in dtm42's mouth but I'd like to address this from my own position.

Even if that might well be true, there's really nothing wrong with expecting more, such as a good story and interesting characters. Ultimately, anime is nothing more than a commercial product meant to make money by way of entertaining consumers. This is particularly clear as far as the Gundam franchise is concerned, but just as there are people who will be satisfied by anything that isn't inherently boring, it is absolutely fair to make additional demands when we have something with at least a bit of complexity and potential. If those elements are underused or wasted, some degree of disappointment or dissatisfaction is entirely warranted.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I think I liked this anime more than I intended. The English dub sat well with me (unlike some people) in both seasons and overall, it still managed to impress me. I especially liked the characters' names. They're a lot of fun to say. Smile

Well i also liked it as well. though the dub is far better. It's the one thing when it comes to the gundam series. No one can complain about the dub cause they've been great ever since Bandai handed over the dubbing to the Ocean Group since Wing and especially in Seed & Seed Destiny. Also having the same VA that has does this since 0079 Mobile Suit Gundan dont hurt as well. If you a dubber like me. it's a definate must buy.

Quote:
− Still as cold and distant as ever; periodically awful dialogue; irritating and unimaginative villains.

But that's how gundam villans has been excluding Char and Gato. but gundam fans would not have it and other way.

And i see a lot of badtalking about season 2. I watch it on Sct Fi and it's actually decent exept with spoiler[ the Killing off of both Wang Lu Mei as well as Aneu] Other than that the ending is preety decen.

BUT CG R2 on the other hand is one thing I agree cause there's a lot of things i did not like about it at all. a real disapointment and it's although it's ending is epic,i did not like it at all. Too much like dejavu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
I think I liked this anime more than I intended. The English dub sat well with me (unlike some people) in both seasons and overall, it still managed to impress me. I especially liked the characters' names. They're a lot of fun to say. Smile

Well i also liked it as well. though the dub is far better. It's the one thing when it comes to the gundam series. No one can complain about the dub cause they've been great ever since Bandai handed over the dubbing to the Ocean Group since Wing and especially in Seed & Seed Destiny. Also having the same VA that has does this since 0079 Mobile Suit Gundan don't hurt as well. If you a dubber like me. it's a definate must buy.

Quote:
− Still as cold and distant as ever; periodically awful dialogue; irritating and unimaginative villains.

But that's how gundam villans has been excluding Char and Gato. but gundam fans would not have it and other way.

And i see a lot of badtalking about season 2. I watch it on Sct Fi and it's actually decent exept with spoiler[ the Killing off of both Wang Lu Mei as well as Aneu] Other than that the ending is preety decen.

BUT CG R2 on the other hand is one thing I agree cause there's a lot of things i did not like about it at all. a real disapointment and it's although it's ending is epic,i did not like it at all. Too much like dejavu.

Watch G Gundam and tell me Master Asia is unimaginative.

The man proclaims that once he kicks everyone's ass his going to start calling himself Super Asia instead of Master Asia. He also can defeat Giant robots with his bare hands.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Like the first season the second season is unable to look at any viewpoint that isn't Japanese, and so is forced to make everyone act Japanese. This is why you have a kurd with a japanese name whose abandoned God because the Japanese have abandoned theist religion.

Honestly, where do you get this stuff? Talk about reading way too much into a cartoon.

Gundam 00 isn't a great Gundam series, but it's not a bad one. It's ultimately run-of-the mill. Nothing happens in the first season until it's nearly over and the second season suffers for it, and because of obvious pressure from Bandai to make it more like other Gundam programs (and sell more kits). It's an ambitious series that failed to live up to expectations because it tossed aside a lot of its unique elements, but it doesn't help that the audience was impossible to satisfy and a lot of them seemed like they weren't paying attention to begin with.

It's certainly an exponential improvement on Gundam from the CE era programs, which were just utterly irredeemable garbage.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie, and hope Kuroda and Mizushima get a little more freedom.

The English dub is horrendous, though. Ocean's worst effort in years.

EDIT: Why the hell are we talking about the second season in a thread for a review for a set that is in the first one? Save your bitching for later.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Watch G Gundam and tell me Master Asia is unimaginative.

The man proclaims that once he kicks everyone's ass his going to start calling himself Super Asia instead of Master Asia. He also can defeat Giant robots with his bare hands.

Actually I watched every single gundam series that showed on Cartoon Network and i liked them including G Gundam. Also he always called himself master Asia on the toonami boradcast unless you have the DVDs. and defeating giant robots with his bare hands is like a mecha dream. I would gladly would like to have his power i a heartbeat and every mecha fan will agree.

If they ever make a sequel to 00 season 1 and 2, I hope setsuna gins some of asia's abilities cause we really dont know spoiler[the true potential of a true inovator new type cause that final fight with him and ribbons had to have been only the scratch of a new type's abilities.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Honestly, where do you get this stuff? Talk about reading way too much into a cartoon.

Gundam 00 isn't a great Gundam series, but it's not a bad one. It's ultimately run-of-the mill. Nothing happens in the first season until it's nearly over and the second season suffers for it, and because of obvious pressure from Bandai.

It's certainly an exponential improvement on Gundam from the CE era programs, which were just utter garbage.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the movie, and hope Kuroda and Mizushima get a little more freedom.

The fact that americans act nothing like America does in this series. Do you honestly think with America's fiery passion that they would ever act this calmly with Celestial Being? Just look at the current events in politics.

Also Gundam Seed was pretty damn good. It met it's goal of showing the Cycle of revenge with the war getting worse until it's a fight for survival

Also I felt SEED actually did a much better job of being relevant with the desert arc being clearly inspired by the Isreal and Palestine conflict (the Director actually did mention this) by seeing both sides of the story and didn't choose a side.

Too many times Gundam 00 looked less like it was trying to copy current events and more like it was copying the Metal Gear Solid series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The fact that americans act nothing like America does in this series. Do you honestly think with America's fiery passion that they would ever act this calmly with Celestial Being? Just look at the current events in politics.

What does that even mean, "act nothing like America does"? The show takes place in a distant future, where countries are part of large power blocks.

I thought the Americans were treated far more nuanced than usual in anime. Sorry the Americans aren't scarfing down hamburgers and hotdogs and launching nukes everywhere as they wave the star-spangled banner.

Would you prefer they break out Gundam Maxter?

Quote:
Also Gundam Seed was pretty damn good. It met it's goal of showing the Cycle of revenge with the war getting worse until it's a fight for survival

Gundam Seed was a show of bland characters with no charisma, who all look the same, doing bland things during bland battles with ugly mobile suits to somewhat appealing music for fans of shiny things. There was no spirit to it. It is the definition of mediocrity in anime.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

What does that even mean, "act nothing like America does"? The show takes place in a distant future, where countries are part of large power blocks.

I thought the Americans were treated far more nuanced than usual in anime. Sorry the Americans aren't scarfing down hamburgers and hotdogs and launching nukes everywhere as they wave the star-spangled banner.

Would you prefer they break out Gundam Maxter?

Quote:

Gundam Seed was a show of bland characters with no charisma, who all look the same, doing bland things during bland battles with ugly mobile suits to somewhat appealing music for fans of shiny things. There was no spirit to it. It is the definition of mediocrity in anime.

Sorry it should read "act nothing like Americans do". My problems is that Americans do have flaws, and those flaws should show up. The problem is that Gundam 00 acts like humans are perfectly rational beings who act in a rational matter at all times.

Chibodee Crockett certainly acts more lika an American than Graham does.

Americans do eat a ton of hamburgers and hot dogs, they do love the American flag, and they do show their passion. That's not a stereotype that's reality.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sorry it should read "act nothing like Americans do". My problems is that Americans do have flaws, and those flaws should show up. The problem is that Gundam 00 acts like humans are perfectly rational beings who act in a rational matter at all times.

Chibodee Crockett certainly acts more lika an American than Graham does.

Americans do eat a ton of hamburgers and hot dogs, they do love the American flag, and they do show their passion. That's not a stereotype that's reality.

I'm afraid I'm still not getting what you're saying.

So your problem is that instead of being a character with his own inherent personality traits, Graham should instead be... what?

An alcoholic with eight fat children and erectile dysfunction? A bible-thumping right-winger who listens to Rush Limbaugh (who has been preserved in a cyro-suit so that he may complain about Future Obama) on his Flag's radio and buys porcelain statuettes of Jesus helping children with their swing from the advertisements in TV Guide? An effeminate busybody who paints canvases with his feces and sells it to galleries?

Graham is a proud, cocky MS pilot who becomes obsessed with Gundam and his honor as a pilot to the point of twisting his personality. Is that not American enough for you? Do you want him to have an extra large cup holder in his mobile suit for Big Gulps?

I have read a lot of complaints about this show, but that "Americans aren't American enough" is a new one. Don't let anyone say you aren't creative.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:07 am Reply with quote
The fact is that America is politically divided, and as such any anime that is trying to make use of current events needs to understand that. Having the people unite as one in such a peaceful matter is utterly ridiculous.

Also Americans are not exactly known for their honor, so the numerous times Americans in anime continually talk about it confuses me.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

It's hard to avoid acting alike when all US citizens are hooked up to the central hive mind at age 12. Luckily I'm not a US citizen so I get to skip out on that, much like jury duty.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Can we please not bring anti-american beliefs into this thread. I don't insult your country so don't insult mine.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Another Sunrise series thread another bitch off by dtm42 and Charred Knight. Looks like nothing has changed. Yet if Sunrise and Gundam are to be the devil into the second decade of the 21st century I can't say we are doing badly at all.

Yet as I recall dtm42 said he was going to be biased against Gundam 00 Season 2 on account of what he felt about Code Geass R2 and Charred Knight just bitches about everything related to Code Geass R2 and is a full time troll as far as I concerned so these guys are professional mecha series trolls as far as I'm concerned and their opinions are as clouded as any I've ever seen. Shame they post like their life depends on it though when it comes time to trash on their favourite topics. If I were in charge I would have banned them long ago for blatant thread shitting, but unfortunately we can't always get what we want can we....

Anyway far as I'm concerned the only thing Gundam 00 Season 2 failed to do was account for peoples tendency to bitch to no tomorrow about popular Sunrise anime on the internet. There really is no winning for them, but they soldier on and do what they can to try and make above average anime. Best of luck to them in 2010.

Oh and good review by the way. This is why the people that have a bloody clue are doing the articles while the riff raff is relegated to forums and the fanboy nonsense that usually ensues therein.

nightjuan wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:

I don't want to put words in dtm42's mouth but I'd like to address this from my own position.

Even if that might well be true, there's really nothing wrong with expecting more, such as a good story and interesting characters. Ultimately, anime is nothing more than a commercial product meant to make money by way of entertaining consumers. This is particularly clear as far as the Gundam franchise is concerned, but just as there are people who will be satisfied by anything that isn't inherently boring, it is absolutely fair to make additional demands when we have something with at least a bit of complexity and potential. If those elements are underused or wasted, some degree of disappointment or dissatisfaction is entirely warranted.

The question has to be asked though, when do the demands end? When I see endless demands being made of series with actual ambition and nothing being demanded of those that have none and the latter seeing growing success in it's particular market over the former I can't help but feel that anime fans are continually shooting themselves in the foot.

animehermit wrote:
Is there some kind of mythical force preventing bandai from making a successful 2nd season?

Yes, I believe it's called internet trends, the bandwagon effect, and trolling. Wink

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4