• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are streaming and downloads the same?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
well is streaming and downloading the same?

If the person in question buys the DVD's after seeing the said anime by streaming would that be the same as someone not only seeing said anime but downloading it?

i think not.. i do understand how this affects the anime sect as a whole but i am wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?

I am not trying to pick world war III by the way so please stay nice.. while talking about such things! and thanks for your thoughts!
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Of course. You're seeing both without paying for it.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Of course. You're seeing both without paying for it.
Well it depends. Most of your 'streaming' anime is legit, through Hulu or the distributer's homesite. There are non-legit streaming sites, but that strikes me as a minorty. Especially when compared to illegal downloads through torrents or the the like. At any rate I can't think of any companies who would release legit downloads of their shows.
So, no. Watching streaming anime through legitimate websites is not the same as downloading a show illegally. Namely one is legal and one is not. Unless you stumble onto a non-distribtor endorsed streaming site, in that case it's illegal too.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this person is talking about legal streaming or veoh streaming and such. If it's legal like on FUNI's channel they at least get some revenue compared to watching it on [some illegal site.]

[EDIT: Site name removed. It's common knowledge that unauthorized anime is streamed at major, general-purpose streaming websites, but let's stay away from mentioning anime-specific sites. ~Zalis]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Are you asking about legal streams versus illegal downloads? If so, then no. There is a very big difference. In addition to being illegal, downloading does not contribute any money to the companies involved whereas legal streams generate some money from ad revenue. If however you are comparing downloads and streams that are both illegal then the difference is mostly negligible. You're not contributing either way. I suppose it might be considered better to stream because then you're not getting a copy to keep which encourages still buying the DVD. However if in your scenario the person is buying the DVDs anyway then it doesn't much matter.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:42 am Reply with quote
I've always been curious about the legality of this question: Is downloading a video off a legal stream considered illegal if it is kept for personal use?
For example, YouTube has a wide selection of legally streaming anime available under shows. I am a novice when it comes to computer technology, but even I can push the button that appears in the corner of the video to download a show using Real-player. Since other sites disable this option on their streaming video and YouTube does not. Is it illegal to download a show to be viewed later if the site does not prevent downloads?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
I watch streams online, I don't quite like the thought of downloading it so I can watch at any time, as I think that would lower my wish/need to buy DVDs to watch again. I also contribute what I can by buying anime, though I think I probably have been abusing my government pension meant to help me in my studies.

To me downloading it is like having something that I don't deserve, so I will just stream it on the tube or such. I do fully intend to buy if possible, even for the right to have something I can watch any time I want.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
this is a good thing when people can ask and answer questions in this area. that is a good question about You Tube though i would not down load any Anime.

Now to an area i have been also wondering about. Ebay has Anime from other area's of the world. these are legal Dvd's sold in that country that have Sub titles. Is it BAD to buy Subtitled Anime from those area's? (importing i guess)

My wish list of stuff i would like to own has gotten very long. But i will not buy from ebay if the answer is no. that buying said subtitled Anime from those other area's hurts Anime.

So dose any one know the answer to this problem?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:

Now to an area i have been also wondering about. Ebay has Anime from other area's of the world. these are legal Dvd's sold in that country that have Sub titles. Is it BAD to buy Subtitled Anime from those area's? (importing i guess)

My wish list of stuff i would like to own has gotten very long. But i will not buy from ebay if the answer is no. that buying said subtitled Anime from those other area's hurts Anime.

So dose any one know the answer to this problem?

99% of those "import" anime dvds are bootlegs. In general, if it has Chinese subtitles (There are legally licensed releases with Chinese subtitles in Taiwan, but I've never seen them on eBay, and they generally don't have English subtitles) or says "all region" it's a bootleg. If the listing claims it's not a bootleg because it was made in a factory and not burned to a DVD-R, it's a bootleg. Most of the anime on eBay is bootleg, but eBay isn't too concerned with policing something that contributes to their bottom line. There are hundreds if not thousands of sellers that sell nothing but bootleg anime, and they go on doing for months and years without a problem.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
i will have to wait for the dvd's in the us then! sigh.. now my problems are with shows that have second seasons that i want like Shana and cant get due to what ever lic. reason!

growl.. you would think they would want the small amount of money from subtitled only shows that would sell in the us or dose is really cost that much to have a show subtitled since many fans of anime seem to do it for free?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
i will have to wait for the dvd's in the us then! sigh.. now my problems are with shows that have second seasons that i want like Shana and can't get due to what ever lic. reason!

growl.. you would think they would want the small amount of money from subtitled only shows that would sell in the us or dose is really cost that much to have a show subtitled since many fans of anime seem to do it for free?

It's not as simple as that. In the case of Shana, like all Geneon shows, things are complicated by Geneon's "death" in the US and the merger of Geneon with Universal Pictures last year. Until those issues are sorted out, no new Geneon anime is likely to show up outside Japan.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
@hissatsu01

Do you know any article about buying legal DVDs via Ebay and similar services? It's a problem not only for a newbies- some fans are really surprised when they get to know that their stuff isn't good at all. Once I planned to write something about it, but I have no time to do it properly- those who sell rips as legal DVDs have really lots of ideas.

I've got some anime DVDs from Germany that were bought via chain bookstore- I ordered from Net catalogue and got them in a store. In that way I didn't even pay for delivery. Maybe bookstores in your country have similar option (well, amazon surley has:))

And nice off-topic...

Last edited by EireformContinent on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
so next question in this topic.

sites like Hulu and Anime new network have streaming anime. Are these sites supporting the anime ? how dose this work. I have watched anime here! thanks to anime network and watch sites like Funimation, as well as Hulu before.

Dose Anime news network work much like Funimation?

To bad about Ebay but it's what i thought and i have never gotten a boot leg dvd. I buy the box sets of Dvd in the us after release. But for anime's that i would like to own such as a long list of sub titled only anime that some i would love to see a dub of due to sub's only being a small market in the usa or so i read all the time in these sites.

Also to all those that have said something thanks! your information on this topic is welcome and a great help to those that read it!

Also thanks to Anime new's network for not killing this thread right off. Thank you.. there is information here i have been asking about for a while and hope this helps all those with the same questions.

Again thanks!
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
@hissatsu01
Do you know any article about buying legal DVDs via Ebay and similar services? It's a problem not only for a newbies- some fans are really surprised when they get to know that their stuff isn't good at all. Oncer I planned to write something about it, but I have no time to do it properly- those who sell rips as legal DVDs have really lots of ideas.

The article here seems decent, and I could have sworn there was a thread on the AnimeonDVD forums to recognizing bootlegs, but I can't find it now.

catstigereye wrote:
so next question in this topic.
sites like Hulu and Anime new network have streaming anime. Are these sites supporting the anime ? how dose this work. I have watched anime here! thanks to anime network and watch sites like Funimation, as well as Hulu before.

Authorized streaming sites do bring in some small amount revenue to the rights holders, so it does support anime in that sense. Which is better than nothing and it's legal as well. Though if you want to be more "supportive" buying DVDs or merchandise brings in a lot more revenue to anime companies than watching streaming video.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
catstigereye wrote:
sites like Hulu and Anime new network have streaming anime. Are these sites supporting the anime ? how dose this work.

Streaming sites either pay upfront for the right to stream and recoup the costs from advertising revenue/subscription fees or they share the revenue. FUNImation would be in the former category, and Youtube and Crunchyroll etc. in the second. Here's some detail from our samuelp posted somewhere else I can't link to:

Quote:
CR’s business model is a hybrid subscription/ad-based revenue share. Let’s take the subscriber part first. All that money goes into a pot. The total number of minutes spent watching each show by subscribers is calculated. So “Naruto 312 has a total of 123456 subscriber minutes in Q2″ or whatever and the pot of money is split up to the various different Japanese companies in proportion. Then CR takes it’s cut (which varies with each contract, obviously) and the Japanese get the rest. The ad-based model is more usual: Total ad revenue is reported to CR by the ad-serving company for each video… It’s added up and split up based on the ad-based revenue split (which is often different than the subscriber one).

Quote:
Most licensing contracts of any sort have 2 components. A “minimum guarantee” which is the minimum amount of money the Japanese will get, usually paid in advance or in installments and then a revenue share percentage which is split up for anything over the MG that the show makes. Anyway listen to the ANN podcast with the ex-Geneon guy. He gives all kinds of numbers for MGs for back in the heydey of licensing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2