• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Grand Prizes Given for 1st Kyoto Animation Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Disappointing way to see any sort of contest end, but I think people are being too hard on KyoAni over this? If there were only 11 contestants in a season of American Idol and all of them were only 'meh' at best, should the one who gets the most votes still get a $1 mil record deal no matter what?

This was a contest in Japan and there's not a single honorable mention in the manga category. Obviously something went wrong here. If they were trying to grift other people's intellectual property, they'd do a lot better job just attending Comiket.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
More trolling from Kyoto Animation. Cool.

While Keikanki may have a point about there only being a limited number of entries, if they couldn't have received enough to even merit honorable mentions for the manga category, their advertising for this competition must have been under utilized. I'm still saying it's their own fault.
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
If there were only 11 contestants in a season of American Idol and all of them were only 'meh' at best, should the one who gets the most votes still get a $1 mil record deal no matter what?

Have you ever watched American Idol?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's telling them to move to Tokyo instead?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Red Priest Rezo wrote:
Quote:
So they basically wasted the time of everyone that participated.

They did pay a bunch of 100,000-yen (US$1,100) honorable mention prizes, didn't they?

True, there was a nice pay out, but who enters a contest to get an honorable mention even if there is money involved?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sirch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they are just going to re-run the contest "endlessly" till someone gets it right Razz
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Disappointing way to see any sort of contest end, but I think people are being too hard on KyoAni over this? If there were only 11 contestants in a season of American Idol and all of them were only 'meh' at best, should the one who gets the most votes still get a $1 mil record deal no matter what?

This was a contest in Japan and there's not a single honorable mention in the manga category. Obviously something went wrong here. If they were trying to grift other people's intellectual property, they'd do a lot better job just attending Comiket.

I can't imagine that their where only11 contestants and no one entered the manga category. This is more like if when American Idol got down to the final 11 they give out honorable mention awards and just don't announce the winner.
keikanki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I can't imagine that their where only11 contestants and no one entered the manga category. This is more like if when American Idol got down to the final 11 they give out honorable mention awards and just don't announce the winner.

Assuming that was the case, how do you explain away a manga contest, in Japan, with cash prizes, not having even one honorable mention? I can't think of anything else, like I said if they were trying to get ideas without having to pay they'd do more volume window shopping a dojinshi market.

Kyoto Animation isn't American Idol; they're not even a Toei or a Gonzo, and the grand prize was only $3500... I actually wouldn't be surprised if 11 entries was all they got in 6 months. I think Dorcas Aurelia is probably on the right track wondering about the advertising budget for this. I consider myself somewhat of a fan since seeing Air, and this is the first I've heard about this.
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
This isn't a tokyo pop thing where they have to pick a winner. And look at their great track record... It's was a serious contest that the studio was gonna put their money behind so I'm not surprised they didn't find one they felt confident about. The honorable mentions will probably get tweaked and tweaked again until they feel they have a show. For really strict or serious contest; sometimes their is no grand prize winner that year. It's not unheard of. Although it sucks it happened in their first year of doing it. Hope they try again!

An award implies that there usually is a winner involved. Honorable mentions are the entries that were good, but not quite as good as the best entry they received.

Tell me, what is a really strict or serious contest? What criteria is that? I've never heard of this. Tell me of a contest that advertises a posh grand prize and decide not to do anything.

In any case, KyoAni isn't the purveyors of fine art, I can't say they can be particularly high class in what they choose as masterpieces in their art.

I call shenanigans.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I, uh, don't know what to really say about this. It is pretty funny when you think about it. I don't know what that exactly says about either side.

Hope KyoAni had some good fine print on that contest...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnmora

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
When will people stop defending Kyoto Animation? Imagine if the Academy Awards announced that no one had won any awards, and in fact Best Supporting Actor didn't have anyone nominated.
It'd be a lot more honest than some years have been.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Much like everything Kyo-Ani has done the last few months this has ended in utter failure.

KyoAni, just reveal you're gonzo already. We already know.
skyhack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
So,
They get all these ideas on the cheap, mix 'em around a bit, they could be the next Nick Simmons!
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
I am not clear on two things here.
Were there eleven entries across all categories or eleven entries in the manga category?
Since the novel category is a category distinct from the manga category, does this mean that the novel category does or does not include graphic novels?
I apologize for asking what may be obvious to others. As a recent resident of the Michigan State Home for the Bewildered (probationary release), I am easily confused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2