• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator to Close as OpenManga Plans Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is the right song; I like it anyway

Freedom, you see, has got our hearts singing so joyfully
Just look about
You owe it to yourself to check it out
Can't you feel a brand new day?

RIP Michael Jackson
apparently I have to add this at the end
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
tarmie wrote:
Well unless there is gonna be country restrictions so that we europeans can't read them (like crunchyroll) it might not be a bad idea. But then again my favorite manga gets translated only on mangahelpers... so I hope there'll be a complete solution soon -.-''

If they also link through to official sites, those sites will have whatever region blocking the publishers decide on or have forced upon them by existing rights agreements.

Region restrictions could indeed have been one of the sticking points in their two and a half hour meeting.

However, if as they say they are working directly with the mangaka, there is a much better chance of getting global-ex-Japan distribution. Indeed, if the mangaka's agent is smart enough to strike out international distribution clauses, a mangaka could have their work published in Japan and be free to enter into an independent international distribution deal.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I still have mixed feelings about this.

It's great to see MH down and have the artists finally being able to be paid, but I'm not sure about this whole independent thing.

With Crunchy Roll, it's not exactly a legit manga outlet since I see people still planning on scanning in licensed works through their privatized CR communities.

I would still like it if someone set up a system like cartoon.media.daum.net where they let you sample pages online and you can buy the manhwa/ga online. Something like that...as an alternative to books.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
This sounds soooooo shady. Especially considering how Japanese publishers tend to be with their stuff, I doubt they're going to get any well known mangaka on this site. If anything, they're gonna have amateur mangaka or ones that are otherwise not that well established, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know if that will make for a successful site. But who knows. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, but for now it just seems like something's a bit off.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
This sounds soooooo shady. Especially considering how Japanese publishers tend to be with their stuff, I doubt they're going to get any well known mangaka on this site. If anything, they're gonna have amateur mangaka or ones that are otherwise not that well established, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know if that will make for a successful site. But who knows. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, but for now it just seems like something's a bit off.

I'm also under the impression that the artists are definitely not going to be the top of the line ones. Probably the ones who haven't had much, if any, of their stuff published and work mostly in the doujinshi department.

I still consider it a step in the right direction, but I don't see any major publishers jumping on board just yet. Especially the ones who are working to bring the aggregators down. They'll know what MH has done. I think it may help beginner artists, though, and if anything will help improve their skills. And, in the end, one of the bigger ones aggregators will be gone and, in its place, something legal.
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think this site will get the major mangaka/distributors either, which I hope doesn't happen (-leave that to the major book publishers, which is how it should happen). A lot of amateur English mangas can already be found on onlinecomics.net for free. Not quite sure if openmanga is trying to be similar to that or not, with the difference of advertisement pay.

As one of the users on Baka-Updates have stated similar thoughts to mine:
PossessedNinja wrote:
I agree with calstine, They claim to have around 70 artists/mangakas lined up for this. The question is, how will Mangahelpers/OpenManga pay all these artisits? I asked someone the same thing when they brought this to my attention, and he said "Who says MH will pay?". The question then is, why would these artists-- whose livelihood depends entirely on selling their work -- be willing to work for OpenManga for free? Even if they do, it'd probably be a preview-based service, where you get a free sample of the work (say a chapter or so), and you then pay to get in on the rest. The approach to this "scanlation-publisher" utopia, is very, very, flawed. The scanlation scene was never meant to be legal, I can see why it would be great to have it legalized though. But, unfortunately, legalizing it will effectively end mainstream scanlation (whether this is good or bad, you decide). The only reason the scene is now thriving like it is, is because we're illegal. I'll go so far as to say scanlation should never be legalized, there is no real benefit in doing so (not to the scanlators, I mean).
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A very interesting, unexpected yet positive development.

Nice to see someone out there thinking this way, maybe the likes of Marvel could learn something here,with regard to US comics. Makes me smile already, and I hope they'll see success.

The irony here is that had the industry stepped up to manga aggregators before hand. this could have been achieved without all the drama, arguements and tears. Hopefully One Manga will consider going the same way, than be shut down totally. I also think that these sites should openly submit their hit info, since they want to stick around.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Olivine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In preparation of the upcoming beta, we have been in contact with over 70 artists - many of which expressed great interest in using our platform to distribute their work, and build their IPs and fan communities while at the same time earning money from merchandise, sales, donations and other models that are included in the OpenManga system.

Over 70 artists? Who? I'm guessing these are international amateur manga authors, not the japanese authors that wanted to stop scanlations in the first place. At the best, maybe these are doujinshi authors? It seems like they would have given a list of names if published manga authors if they were more than a bunch of random amateurs. Considering many publishers are already serializing manga online, I'm very pessimistic about Openmanga actually getting works that are already published. On the other hand, this might become very popular with international artists. Maybe. More than likely, though, this idea is way too blue sky. If I'm going to have to pay money to get the manga anyway, why not just buy the print version? I'd rather have a tangible object than a pile of 1's and 0's locked in virtual space.

Quote:
Translations, and the textual translation release system will continue to function as normal, and MangaHelpers will continue to be a hub for translators to collaborate, learn and receive feedback on their work and linguistic skills. We are also looking at ways to improve on our translators services, potentially with improved systems for learning and training translation skill.

Textual translations only? People might actually start *gasp* buying the Japanese manga. This model at least makes a whole lot more sense then "take whatever you want and then buy the licensed version if it is one of the very few titles that are actually licensed in your country."

Last edited by Olivine on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scirel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
God help us al....wait, is this good news?

I hate to be a debbie downer here but if the big name artists don`t sign on, this stie will probably mean nothing.

Even if you do not like these series, I'd venture a guess and say that over 50% of all scanlation views are those of naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, with a sprinkling of other SJ series and popular series such as Negima, Fairy tail, or D gray man.

Without a big name, Scanlations will still go on unopposed because THOSE are the titles that everyone wants.

While I think it's great that there's now a way for more niche manga and manga artists have a way to make money off online views(and personally, I hope hourou Musuko is one of them), this will do little to change the market without those popular titles to back it.
tarmie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

However, if as they say they are working directly with the mangaka, there is a much better chance of getting global-ex-Japan distribution. Indeed, if the mangaka's agent is smart enough to strike out international distribution clauses, a mangaka could have their work published in Japan and be free to enter into an independent international distribution deal.

Let's hope that'll be the case. Smile
Drmke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
BMO wrote:
The fact that the companies VIZ/Shueisha (and possibly other publishers) laughed in their faces makes me worried for the future of such a promising platform. Their announcement is difficult to decypher but it sounds like all OpenManga will provide are the works of up and coming no-name amateur / indy mangakas.

Attempts at getting the more popular manga will of course be made. But we will want to snag more indy type artists and series to give them more exposure. Especially since doing manga that have already been licensed is tricky business.

But in essence, it will be like MySpace was for indy music artists. A lot of thought and effort will be put into it so we can only hope it will work Smile
Kaesebrezen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The action of the Japanese and US publisher don't solve anything.

For us readers this means:
We will only get the overrated, high sale Shounen/Shoujo Manga (and Yaoi).
Great, we won't get anything else. Why?
Because i don't the see publisher running the risk to license a not so well known manga without knowing how well it may sell.
The get the information on what mangas work in the west by the scanlation sites. With them gone, they have no information of that.

There are quite a few manga that got licensed because of their popularity online, and the volume sales are quite good too.
The (japanese) Publishers may loose way more money than when they keep the the scanlation pages running.

Also, the next flaw is that they're only US and Japanese-Publisher.
They can't reach the rest of the World.
If we don't get our raws from Japan, we get them from China (and they have much likely all). Now we even have a reason to learn the most spoken language of the world Surprised

And why Crunchyroll is still running well, even though there still a massive amount of sites online that stream their simulcast anime some hours later for free?
Here you can see why!
If people can pay a -reasonable- price for what they want, they will pay it.
The reason people don't buy that many manga is, they're totally overpriced for what they have to offer.
A Naruto volume in Japan is 400 Yen, a naruto volumes in the US convsered to Yen is 917. That's more than twice the amount.
In a time were E-Book readers are going strong, it's very is to make mangas afordable, and to release a lot more than you currently have.

The only thing we now have is:
- The publisher go in the completely wrong direction, we will hate them for it, even you who don't read manga online
- Mangahelpers is going the right way, so lets hope they're going to be successfull
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Kaesebrezen wrote:
The action of the Japanese and US publisher don't solve anything.

For us readers this means:
We will only get the overrated, high sale Shounen/Shoujo Manga (and Yaoi)

Um... No. Have you read into this at all? If we were getting the big name titles that would be awesome and it would ensure the success of this site, but all of the big companies "laughed" at their idea, so we're only getting independent manga artists.

Which is great and everything (they could be good!), but not for the success of the site unfortunately.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Kaesebrezen wrote:

Also, the next flaw is that they're only US and Japanese-Publisher.
They can't reach the rest of the World.
If we don't get our raws from Japan, we get them from China (and they have much likely all). Now we even have a reason to learn the most spoken language of the world Surprised

If people can pay a -reasonable- price for what they want, they will pay it.
The reason people don't buy that many manga is, they're totally overpriced for what they have to offer.
A Naruto volume in Japan is 400 Yen, a naruto volumes in the US convsered to Yen is 917. That's more than twice the amount.

I'll let others deal with the rest of it, but:
1) I doubt it matters wherever you get the scans. You aren't paying. They come from a Japanese publisher. Chinese companies license series from the Japanese publishers.

2) There's a total difference in market. Not only do English publishers have to deal with licensing fees and a niche market, but they have to pay translators, editors, etc. Shipping costs and book store demand also play a role. Not all series in Japan are 400 yen, either. Naruto is just popular. There are series for 700 - 1200 yen or even more. They aren't "overpriced". They are what they have to be in order to make a profit.

Also, plenty of niche titles have been brought over. Children of the Sea? Not Simple? The Drifting Classroom? This doesn't have much to do with MH's project, though. They aren't going to be affiliated with an English publisher, and probably aren't getting any "big" titles any time soon. This move does solve stuff for Japan and the English-speaking community, at least business wise.
Kaesebrezen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
This move does solve stuff for Japan and the English-speaking community, at least business wise.

Most viewers for onemanga for example come from SEA.
This solves the Problem between US and Japanese.
But since both, Japan and US seem to have the general opinion that the world consists of either "The US and the isle where Anime/Manga come from" and "Nippon and the gaijin from America", not much will happen in the unkown parts of the world.

Quote:
There are series for 700 - 1200 yen or even more.

Tell you what, they're still cheaper than Naruto for us.
Quote:
Not only do English publishers have to deal with licensing fees and a niche market

High prices are not a way out of the niche market...
Quote:
They are what they have to be in order to make a profit.

Sure they are, but that makes them very unattractive to buy.
And the result of this, thanks to the economy crisis, the few buyers we have get even less.

Quote:
Children of the Sea?

1st released online, then followed by volumes. See what they did?

Quote:

I'll let others deal with the rest of it

Before you let deal others with it answer this Question:
Why does work crunchyroll so well, even if all their animes are available elsewhere for free?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8