• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Canaan, Kimikiss Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

An interesting note of comparison is that I have never seen a Japanese company with an incomplete release, no matter how bad sales are i.e. it might be costing them more to continue to release discs, but they still finish the release.

Super Gals comes to mind.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@The King of Harts Tears to Tiara BD is listed for $67.49 at rightstuf.com, or $60.74 with member discount. Which is an amazing deal for 26 episodes of a relatively recent show.

It'll be $53.99 (40% of retail) without the membership discount and $48.59 (46% of retail) with the membership discount if you're willing to wait for right stuf to have a Sentai Filmworks / Section23 sale. Since it doesn't come out until October, odds are that there will be one before it's released.

Personally, I virtually never buy any anime or manga except from right stuf's sales (and I definitely have a membership discount - at $12, it pays for itself with only $120 worth of purchases, which is quite easy to do if you buy much anime or manga). It's so much cheaper to buy it that way that as long as you're patient enough to wait for the appropriate sale (and they virtually always having a sale on someone's products - usually at least 3 times a year for each of the big companies), you're going to save a fair bit. And since pre-orders count in most sales (certainly the normal 40% off of DVD/BDs and 33% off of manga), you get free shipping if you buy at least $49 worth of stuff, and they do ship them separately rather than waiting for your whole order to be ready, it's all around a fantastic deal. As a result, if I can't get anime DVD/BDs at at least 46% of retail and manga at least 40% off retail (which is what you get on right stuf's typical sale with a membership discount), I usually won't buy it.

So, while I can totally understand if someone thinks that a show isn't worth $50, I have no sympathy for the folks who keep complaining about the prices being way too high. If you're smart about where and when you buy anime and manga, you can save a lot of money. And the prices are way lower now that singles are pretty much a thing of the past. So, overall, while I wouldn't mind paying less for anime and manga, I don't see much reason to complain about the prices.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

With all these Blu-ray announcements starting to come from Section23, I wonder if they've invested in their own equipment for that like Funimation did, or if they're still doing all that out of house. In either case, I'm glad that they're releasing Blu-ray titles at the same time as the DVDs. While it's fantastic that Funimation has been releasing titles on Blu-ray, there's almost always a delay between the DVD releases and the Blu-ray releases, which leaves the question of whether I should by a title now, since it might not be coming out on Blu-ray any time soon - if ever - or whether I should just wait for the Blu-ray release. Sometimes a Blu-ray release is fairly quick in coming, and in other cases, it has yet to materialize.

In any case, this is a great announcement. Good news indeed.

Sentai has pretty much always had the capability to handle HD materials and produce Blurays. I doubt they are handling the encoding out to anyone else. However, I have no idea who handles the actual replication of their discs. Neither ADV nor Sentai ever made note of who actually produces their discs.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
For those looking to save money on the blu-ray sets I would suggest keeping an eye on Amazon once these are released as they sometimes beat Right Stuf on anime blu-ray pricing (and beat a lot of other online retailers on blu-ray in general).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
For those looking to save money on the blu-ray sets I would suggest keeping an eye on Amazon once these are released as they sometimes beat Right Stuf on anime blu-ray pricing (and beat a lot of other online retailers on blu-ray in general).

As I understand it, Amazon has been trying to push Blu-ray for whatever reason, so their Blu-ray prices are frequently quite low. In particular, they're often lower than their DVD prices. That's not always the case, but it happens often enough that it's a definitely a good place to look. From what I've seen though, pre-orders don't generally get their prices reduced all that much, so you probably will have to wait for the title to actually be released before Amazon drops the price particularly low. Sales from deepdiscount can be pretty good too (though I believe that they only happen a couple of times a year). There are a number of places online with good prices - and sometimes great sales - if you know where to look.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
That may be technically correct, but it's hardly the first time we've had an anime dropped after a season in North America. Everybody has done this, including ADV, Funimation, Viz, Geneon, etc. If the first season flops, most companies aren't going to loose more money on releasing season 2.
The Viz point was how they have handled this, not how it's a unique situation to any company.

Quote:
Also, they never claimed they had season 2, nor made any implications that they planned on licensing and releasing it.

Then the answer to the question would be "We don't have it" (which isn't the answer I got). Also, there is no "season 2". It's 1x 51 episode show. They even called it "Collection 1", which implies there will be a 2.
Quote:
At least we got one complete season, and we aren't getting dropped at some random point as Viz has done in the past.
The only reason it isn't a random point is because of how shows are released now. It's not complete, just half the show. (And it doesn't even sound like it's a natural break from what little info I can find. It sounds like it just stops in the middle of stuff happening.)

configspace wrote:

Also, the designation of "seasons" seems artificial to me, as they were not originally released as separate seasons in Japan, if I recall (? I think). Glass Mask was a single 51 ep show, Eyeshield 21 a continuous 145 ep show, and likewise Gintama a solid block of 201 eps.
In these cases, they pretty much are artificial. Gintama is 4 seasons of "52" episodes according to the Japanese release designation.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
LeanGreen wrote:
I remember Kimikiss having some sweet moments because of its formatting (instead of one guy getting all the girls there were two guys with two girls each; it worked out a lot better in my opinion). I will probably pick it up as I've been watching Toradora! with my mom and she absolutely loves it. I'm hoping to find some other anime like that to watch with her as well.

I don't know about Canaan, I've heard some negative things about where the story goes but I might give it another chance. It was an obvious choice for a dub, with all of its action and mainstream style. But I'm surprised at the lack of blu-ray. I remember this being a pretty slick series with a lot of action and pretty nice production values.

Also, my sweet Section23, please release ef a tale of memories. If you're going to release Kimikiss and not ef, I will be very disappointed.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. They listed the Canaan blu-ray and dvd sets as seperate in the press release. That makes a lot more sense now. Wink

this X100 I loved the Ef series especially Melodies. I watched it on Crunchyroll back in their illegal days and loved it and I told myself if it ever gets licensed I will buy it subtitled or dubbed. I'm still surprised no one has Reborn or 07 Ghost anime yet since Reborn is the only big weekly Shounen series not released here in the US and the 07 Ghost manga was quite popular here also. Although if they do get licensed I hope they get a dub I'll be very disappointed if they don't Sad
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
configspace wrote:
@The King of Harts Tears to Tiara BD is listed for $67.49 at rightstuf.com, or $60.74 with member discount. Which is an amazing deal for 26 episodes of a relatively recent show.

It'll be $53.99 (40% of retail) without the membership discount and $48.59 (46% of retail) with the membership discount if you're willing to wait for right stuf to have a Sentai Filmworks / Section23 sale. Since it doesn't come out until October, odds are that there will be one before it's released.

Yeah, and DVDPacfic has a standard 45-48% off the bat without a membership or a special sale, but that wasn't my question. My question was is a BD of Tears to Tiara really worth those extra 20 dollars?

Also, that is not a "great deal". Maybe if it was still 2005, but it's not, and it's 2010 where there's tons of anime of just as many episodes are cheaper than that. There's a different standard from 5 years ago, and this is beyond it. People who keep looking at the past need to stop. Same goes for people who keep trying to compare our prices to Japan.

Sorry to sound like a smartass, but I've buying anime long enough to know what is and is not a great deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
configspace wrote:

Yeah, and DVDPacfic has a standard 45-48% off the bat without a membership or a special sale, but that wasn't my question. My question was is a BD of Tears to Tiara really worth those extra 20 dollars?

Short answer: This will have lossless audio, so if they do as good a job as they did with Appleseed in the visual department, then yes. Tears to Tiara has some excellent visuals and could really look amazing in bluray. Sentai has already confirmed they will be using lossless audio for all their planned future bluray releases, so it should be worth the extra $20. Also, you won't have a stack pack to deal with, which is a plus for most people.

Also, while you may find people comparing prices today to those of only 2 years ago, some people find it just as annoying how some constantly complain about anime being too expensive now that you can regularly find complete seasons of anime on both DVD and bluray for under $50. I think the pricing is quite good, and probably quite a bit on the low side for a market as tiny as anime. MSRP really means very little, as other than FYE (which is rapidly fading away and many don't even carry new anime anyway) no one charges MSRP for media products. I don't hear people complaining how most DVD movie releases still have an MSRP Of $29.99, because no one sells them at that.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Canaan on Blu-ray is going to look gorgeous. Very Happy Between this and Bounen no Xamdou, Section 23 has singlehandedly guaranteed my purchase of a BD player. I probably won't even bother to watch the last three episodes I had downloaded at this point...
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
Technically a season is 12-13 episodes. A 24-26 episode show runs for 2 seasons. Many companies, including Funimation, like to sell their sets as seasons but with a season being 24-26 episodes, ala D. Gray-Man (which they really need to finish by the way). It makes sense for a marketing standpoint because it makes people feel they are getting more for their money. I just wish all companies would stick to the normal standpoint in that a season is only a short amount of episodes.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Short answer: This will have lossless audio, so if they do as good a job as they did with Appleseed in the visual department, then yes. Tears to Tiara has some excellent visuals and could really look amazing in bluray. Sentai has already confirmed they will be using lossless audio for all their planned future bluray releases, so it should be worth the extra $20. Also, you won't have a stack pack to deal with, which is a plus for most people.

Oh, boy. I guess this'll be a battle all the way up until the release date then. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
MSRP really means very little, as other than FYE (which is rapidly fading away and many don't even carry new anime anyway) no one charges MSRP for media products. I don't hear people complaining how most DVD movie releases still have an MSRP Of $29.99, because no one sells them at that.

I hear this all the time and, actually, MSRP is kind of important in determining the final price. Let's use TRSI's standard 25% discount: The difference between a show like Tears to Tiara with an MSRP of $90 and Ouran with an MSRP of $70 is $15; that gets you a lot of stuff out the bargain bin. So even though they're both being discounted, T2T is a good bit more. Why? Because the MSRP is higher, which makes the final price higher. The only way T2T could compete with Ouran in price is if it got 42% discount when Ouran got a 25%, but the only time that happens is during one of Amazon's zany sales.

Moral of the story: Tears of Tiara's high MSRP makes it a lot more expensive than other BD's even though it's never sold at MSRP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
Technically a season is 12-13 episodes. A 24-26 episode show runs for 2 seasons. Many companies, including Funimation, like to sell their sets as seasons but with a season being 24-26 episodes, ala D. Gray-Man (which they really need to finish by the way). It makes sense for a marketing standpoint because it makes people feel they are getting more for their money. I just wish all companies would stick to the normal standpoint in that a season is only a short amount of episodes.
Not based on Japanese standards, which apply here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
geishageek wrote:

Which part of the text you quoted are you disagreeing with?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:

Not really because they have 4 "seasons" a year. A spring, summer, winter and a fall. A 12-13 episode series runs within one "season". A 24-26 episode runs 2 "seasons", and so on and so forth. Longer running series do not stop at "season" intervals but they are still broken down (typically) into 13 episode seasons. At least from my understanding of Japanese broadcast TV anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6