• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX Manga Director Suzuki Joins Tokyopop

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
If Tokyopop becomes a little more like CMX I may start liking that company again.

They already did the "damn the fans, censor/edit crap to hell" shtick. And the dropping of titles like flies shtick. And seriously, when was the last time you saw a TOKYOPOP ad in any magazine like Anime Insider??

I don't read Anime Insider. I'm one of those annoying European people who shouldn't be reading English manga in the first place but does so anyway. ITokyopop doesn't publish manga in my country so it doesn't advertise in the magazines I read. Besides, didn't that magazine fold in 2009? And wasn't it the last American anime/manga magazine?

Fact is, CMX had many quality titles. It's just that many so-called mangafans didn't notice it because they couldn't look past the TenTen thing. Tokyopop tends to license crap, but they do know how to shove that crap in your face. Combine the two and the results should be good.

CMX's demise? We don't know enough to know who to put the blame on. Seeing it was a Wildstorm imprint and Wildstorm was shut down by DC as well, I'm kind of leaning towards DC.

Quote:
While I'm sure Suzuki's tastes will have a positive impact on TP's licensing choices, I have no idea where people are getting this "Asako owns ALL OF CMX and Tokyopop will magically license-rescue everything CMX has ever done" from.

She does have connections, which should be useful if Tokyopop decides on any rescue attempts.
CowboyEd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I have no idea where people are getting this "Asako owns ALL OF CMX and Tokyopop will magically license-rescue everything CMX has ever done" from.

Of course we're not saying she owns the titles, and we know it's unlikely that Tokyopop will finish any of them, but can't we hope for it anyway? I'm just saying I'd love to see it but not assuming anything.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
If Tokyopop becomes a little more like CMX I may start liking that company again.

They already did the "damn the fans, censor/edit crap to hell" shtick. And the dropping of titles like flies shtick. And seriously, when was the last time you saw a TOKYOPOP ad in any magazine like Anime Insider??

I don't read Anime Insider. I'm one of those annoying European people who shouldn't be reading English manga in the first place but does so anyway.

Me, too. But I feel obliged to mention that CMX's paper quality was sometimes even worse than Tokyopop's paper quality. They simply show that they don't care if their manga is unreadable after 5 years after printing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2