• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Senator Wyden Places Hold on Net Copyright Bill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:01 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

No, the problem is people like tou with the "You saw it you pay for it" mentality. In you mind if people saw an anime/manga and did not buy it then the companies that produced it have a net loss from said endeavor. That is so wrong in many levels. It is the equivalent of thinking that if I borrow a friend manga/anime to see it I am hurting the original creators. It is akin of thinking I should get a fine for reading (and not buying) a magazine at a store, That line of thought final destination is a world where you cannot own magazines, videos or music and we should pay each and every time we want to somehow access them.

Calm down, I think your missing my point entirely.

Between the two scenarios, I'm trying to illustrate that if you give a little, you get back alot.

FUNimation putting up series online helps them in the long run because people would be willing to commit to buying something if given the opportunity to preview it.

Whereas Yen Press heavy-handed tactics only helps to turn off people from buying their own version of the manga and in turn, spurns them into looking for fanscans. Not to mention saying bull**** about how enforcement means sales as well and having some of your creators of manga you release being total bitches to fans.

And in the interests of full disclosure, I've pretty much dropped several titles from Yen Press because of their take downs of fanscans online (i'm only down to one, and thats only if Borders is doing a Book Drive). I don't feel comfortable buying their manga version if the story takes a nosedive 50++ chapters ahead in in the Japanese version and I have no way to verify this (relying on anon of 4chan isn't "reliable" so to speak.). I want the opportunity to drop the title as soon as I can a/or just commit to a certain point in the line and stop right there (which happened with Naruto and Bleach with me; storylines became crap, so I dropped them abit early on before it got to that point) if thats the case.

Again, one way works, another doesn't. Which way do you think helps the companies in the long run?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
In you mind if people saw an anime/manga and did not buy it then the companies that produced it have a net loss from said endeavor. That is so wrong in many levels. It is the equivalent of thinking that if I borrow a friend manga/anime to see it I am hurting the original creators. It is akin of thinking I should get a fine for reading (and not buying) a magazine at a store, That line of thought final destination is a world where you cannot own magazines, videos or music and we should pay each and every time we want to somehow access them.

Except when you borrow your friend's legit copy, you have to give it back; you don't get to keep a copy for yourself. If you want your own copy, you have to go out any buy it. That's why the old way of tape trading wasn't such a big deal - you couldn't have thousands of copies available for free for anyone to get. It took time and money to acquire the fansubs. Now it's just a couple clicks away.

Sunday Silence wrote:

Whereas Yen Press heavy-handed tactics only helps to turn off people from buying their own version of the manga and in turn, spurns them into looking for fanscans. Not to mention saying bull**** about how enforcement means sales as well and having some of your creators of manga you release being total bitches to fans.

"They took away my free stuff, so I'm pissed off and I'll go find it again! Yeah, that'll teach them to mess with me! I'm always right!" Such a childish attitude. The problem is that anime is such a niche genre whose main consumers are these moody teenagers who lash out if they are angry, like you did. Companies who were total bitches to their fans were companies like Bandai Visual - and they are now dead. Yen Press isn't being a bitch to you, you're acting like a high maintenance girlfriend who needs everything your way.

I think it all falls toward a bigger issue of more and more young people having an absurd sense of entitlement for all things. And I could write an essay on that. Something needs to happen so people realize that this sense of entitlement is wrong, and this bill could help, as much as I hate it giving more power to the government.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:

"They took away my free stuff, so I'm pissed off and I'll go find it again! Yeah, that'll teach them to mess with me! I'm always right!" Such a childish attitude.

Yes, please blatantly ignore the fact that i've bought their stuff.

Look, they are a business. I am a consumer. If I feel that a business has wronged me, I have many options to use at my disposal. I can complain to them and get a token standard form letter. I can return the items back to the store to get a refund. I can also take my money and go elsewhere and not buy their products anymore.

In this case, I bought myself more FUNimation DVD's with the money I saved by dropping several Yen Press titles. Very Happy

Quote:
The problem is that anime is such a niche genre whose main consumers are these moody teenagers who lash out if they are angry, like you did. Companies who were total bitches to their fans were companies like Bandai Visual - and they are now dead. Yen Press isn't being a bitch to you, you're acting like a high maintenance girlfriend who needs everything your way.

And who's to say Yen Press isn't starting to be bitchy to their consumers?

"Oh yeah, since we went after Big Scanlationpalooza Site, we had a significant sales gain of OVER 9000%!!!"

Yeah, (as an example) at that point, Kuroshitsuji was at Volume 2 stateside, and Japan was at Volume 7(?). How the hell can you translate not having 5+ volumes worth of material you just borked as a "significant sales gain" when you were 5+ volumes in the hole to begin with? Is this some sort of "Fuzzy Math" that i'm not comprehending? Was this some sort of fictitious sales figure plan that won't come to fruition for the next 10 years?

At least FUNi attempts to work with the fans rather than treat them badly.

Quote:
I think it all falls toward a bigger issue of more and more young people having an absurd sense of entitlement for all things. And I could write an essay on that. Something needs to happen so people realize that this sense of entitlement is wrong, and this bill could help, as much as I hate it giving more power to the government.

And Businesses need to realize that without consumers, they won't survive long enough to reach their 25th Anniversary. Treat them right, and you can expect return business. Treat them wrong, and DIE.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Xanas wrote:
Those who are more law-abiding tend to value what they see as an objective standard of morality that disallows them from breaking the law but their chosen means of buying-only are simply a display of those values.

So, if I look at scanlations/fansubs, yet buy the legitimate releases, then i'm a Prole?

Gee, thanks a lot.

I'm not really sure what you mean by prole, as the dictionary isn't helping me sort that one out, but I didn't mean it as an insult and I do the same thing you do in this regard (and said as much in that post...)

On the topic of government and some who seem to imply that those of us who are worried about it think it's full of evil people out to get us that isn't entirely accurate. I tend to think that many people in government are trying to help. The problem is the great law of unintended consequences. Many of their ideas lead to many of the negative results that they are now trying to legislate against.

When they look at low wages they think.. lets increase the minimum wage. When they look at poor conditions for workers they think... lets regulate business and force it to have better conditions.

They imagine that legislation results in better things if it's got the right motivation behind it and this concept itself is one of the worst evils.

Now I do really think that bureaucrats get worse over time as the government becomes more powerful. This is still mostly due to the law of unintended consequences, but in greater measure due to the natural effects of having power and position. People with position tend to think they deserve it, and tend to think they can do anything once they have it when they can't. So they create even more problems.

The other fact of human nature that's important is that people are really bad at correcting their own negative actions. This isn't to say people don't recognize their faults, but they are horrible about acknowledging it before others.

I'm not claiming to be better than anyone in regards to these things, which is ultimately another reason I'm a voluntarist/anarchist and not one who is seeking to try to change the system from within.

In any case, as it regards copyright I think those who support it aren't some evil group either. When I say that these laws lead towards bad things I'm not saying that those who ask for them want bad things. That's the truly terrible thing. They may have some good notion of protecting an artist/etc. but that's not how their laws will be used for all time.

It's too bad good people started believing in copyright when history is clear that it started as a means of censorship more than anything else.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
On a related Megacorp deciding what's free speech note, Concast is already trying to extort Netflix. Feel free to sign a petition to the FCC for net neutrality.

Oh-you must mean crapcast-as for anime not being a right, etc.-whatever-if somebody wants something bad enough they'll find a way to get it, no matter how many obstacles are put in their path.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Between the two scenarios, I'm trying to illustrate that if you give a little, you get back alot.

FUNimation putting up series online helps them in the long run because people would be willing to commit to buying something if given the opportunity to preview it.

I have only recently started paying attention to this thread because of complaints voiced about soapboxing (and some of you a couple of pages back were doing that), so perhaps I missed something earlier, but I feel one crucial difference needs to be pointed out here:

The videos that Funimation is posting on their video site (and Youtube and Hulu) as samplers are content that they have officially licensed and have permission from the Japanese distributor to use in such a manner. The scanlations that Yen Press is trying to shut down are not on either point. That's a huge difference in issues of legality, but you're saying that doesn't matter at all?

And to address later comments made: yes, expecting to know how an entertainment product is going to turn out before committing to paying for any of it is absolutely a sense of entitlement. It is a new attitude (almost exclusive to the 2000s) that I've always had a problem with. Sampling I can understand and even sympathize with, but if you have that attitude about anime and manga, then how do you ever bear going to a movie theater (amongst other things)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6