• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Manga a Best Seller

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:54 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think the show will be on YTV by the end of the year, assuming that FUNi actually tries to get it on the air at all. Why it's not on the air NOW, I'll never understand, although I suspect that FUNi simply waited too long to pitch it to them, resulting in no room being available on the schedule. This, of course, is despite the fact that a deal was made with Cartoon Network in the US before the series was even halfway through its run in Japan.

Regardless, Chapters seems to be doing OK with Rurouni Kenshin, and are actually getting the new volumes in stock as they're released. However, this, too, was long after it was an established success.
luhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
That was my point. Cartoon Network's policy of only showing edited kids' versions outside of Adult Swim hours precludes it from being shown at an earlier hour and that's too bad. It's doing okay at 11:30pm, but it's a fact that there are more viewers in prime time.

emory wrote:
It's not a fact. When you look at Cartoon Network's top program ratings list, you often see shows like Futurama, Family Guy, Aqua Teen, and now Robot Chicken in the top shows list. Maybe Fridays premieres or a Toonami show sprinkled here and there, but viewers are spread out all across the evening and into the night.

You don't know much about the TV biz if you think there are more viewers at 11:30 than at say, 10:00. Trust me, with each passing minute, more people are going to bed and the overall audience is shrinking. Read a ratings book sometime.
emory

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
You don't know much about the TV biz if you think there are more viewers at 11:30 than at say, 10:00. Trust me, with each passing minute, more people are going to bed and the overall audience is shrinking. Read a ratings book sometime.

Ugh. Here it comes. I know plenty about the TV industry, and late night isn't as devoid of viewers as everyone thinks it is. Even Bandai said Gundam SEED is getting better ratings Friday night at 1 AM than it was Saturday night at 10:30 PM. I've kept good track of it and have worked in 2 broadcast design studios so I'm familiar with some of the trends. Here, I'll pull out stats from Media Life Magazine if you wish. These are averages for the total broadcast viewership ages 2+ for the last few weeks.

Week Ending May 8th:
TOON (Cartoon Network) - 966,000
ADSM (Adult Swim) - 892,000

Week Ending May 1st:
TOON - 1,021,000
ADSM - 929,000

Week Ending Apr 24th
TOON - 1,059,000
ADSM - 964,000

Week Ending Apr 17th
TOON - 1,039,000
ADSM - 1,002,000

Week Ending Apr 10th
TOON - 1,028,000
ADSM - 1,046,000

Sure, CN beats AS most of the time, but not by much.
luhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm talking about potential viewers, not actual viewers. You have to agree that the potential audience for a show in prime time is greater than that in late night. I was originally theorizing that FMA could become a mainstream hit if exposed to more eyeballs at an earlier time. Maybe they could promote it heavily and run it on say, TBS, because their company policy won't allow an earlier showing on CN.
emory

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:40 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
I'm talking about potential viewers, not actual viewers. You have to agree that the potential audience for a show in prime time is greater than that in late night. I was originally theorizing that FMA could become a mainstream hit if exposed to more eyeballs at an earlier time. Maybe they could promote it heavily and run it on say, TBS, because their company policy won't allow an earlier showing on CN.

You're gonna get killed in the business if you base decisions on potential. You have to be realistic and place shows where you think they'll perform best and be the most profitable, and take into factor who's watching, what's competing, etc. I know everyone likes to think their favorite show is some kind of miracle baby that will win everyone over, but sadly, that's not the truth regardless of how much promotion it gets. Megas XLR got plenty of promotion for 9 PM on Toonami and then again for weekdays on Miguzi and it ended up failing and getting cancelled, because people just weren't into it.

And TBS won't air FMA or any anime AS currently airs because TBS is a comedy network. Action and drama is over on good ol' TNT.
luhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
There's a big difference between a kiddie show like Megas and FMA. So you think FMA has no breakout potential at all?
NinjaGunslinger55

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling it'd do well.
The dub is probably the best anime currently playing on regular TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2