• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Predictive Text

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Crying misogyny over ever little thing deludes the original intent of the word for cases where it really needs to be applied, like this torso.

But by your definition, how does misogyny apply to this torso then? I don't believe this bust was made with the intent of expressing any degree of hate-filled violence towards women at all --- it seems to be more of a horror-culture joke about a sexy/beautiful body being torn to shreds, like you see in so many campy zombie/monster movies. It's much more akin to sexy B-movie horror memorabilia, not an espousal of the glory of mutilating women. I doubt if this was a male figure that people would be calling it misandry, because that element of hatred towards a specific gender wouldn't be there, the same way it doesn't seem to be here.

I understand what you are saying and it is most likely the mind set of the people involved in creating something like this and would explain how it got this far without someone saying, "This is bad taste."

I think if you presented this piece in an art gallery as a legitimate piece of art, it would be controversial, but wouldn't be questioned as a making a statement of some sort.

However it is a packaged consumer item for preordering a video game, and that takes a lot of the legitimacy out of any artistic intent.

It is a sticky debate I admit, and not everyone is offended by the same things.

But what Zac said is very true about how people don't like for their favorite things to be insulted and will often defend something they know to be in bad taste, like this thing, for the sake of the favorite thing they don't want insulted.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

I understand what you are saying and it is most likely the mind set of the people involved in creating something like this and would explain how it got this far without someone saying, "This is bad taste."

I think if you presented this piece in an art gallery as a legitimate piece of art, it would be controversial, but wouldn't be questioned as a making a statement of some sort.

However it is a packaged consumer item for preordering a video game, and that takes a lot of the legitimacy out of any artistic intent.

It is a sticky debate I admit, and not everyone is offended by the same things.

But what Zac said is very true about how people don't like for their favorite things to be insulted and will often defend something they know to be in bad taste, like this thing, for the sake of the favorite thing they don't want insulted.

Well, I suppose if this figure is in bad taste, it's in the sense that the target consumers (i.e. console gamers) might not necessarily be accustomed to this level of gratuitous horror. This bust actually seems pretty tame compared to a lot of schlock horror movies (especially all the mutilation/torture horror flicks of the past decade), but a gamer that isn't a fan of horror movies might not even make the association and wind up seeing this figure as disturbing, which is especially understandable since video games are more restricted in how excessively they can portray this sort of graphic violence towards real human beings.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Palm to face. The reaction to the dead island thing is a classic example of people bandwagoning so they don't end up that odd man out. I can honestly say not a single person here has actually played dead island. Its a game that takes place on a beach resort where 1/4 of it has bikini and beach clad zombies roaming around the place. I don't know why they choose this statute, but its not a representation of violence again women, its probably supposed to be a zombie torso. don't know why they did not just make a figurine instead of this, but I seriously don't think most rationale people would be offended.

And for the record horror is an extremely, extremely popular genre. People collect anything they can related to it, for those of you who have seen Sankrea you know what I mean. And there are plenty of people who enjoy this particular hobby that would be fine with this. Honestly, you people need to grow up. Its a collectable anyway, 70-90 percent of the people who buy this wont even open up the package, and will display the whole box as a set. I think very few would actually plop this down on their coffee table, but if they did so what. Only digusting thing are some of the ignorant comments flowing on this message.

As a horror fan myself, I agree with you on this. When I saw this statue I thought it was funny, and was surprised to see people saying it was misogynistic. It's something of a horror movie trope for young sexy women to get torn to shreds by monsters (and guys too, it works both ways). This looks like the kind of decoration you'd see in a haunted house, or a collection of horror memorabilia. If they made a bust like this for something like MPD Psycho, that would seem kind of twisted --- but here, knowing it's for a zombie game, it just comes across as campy, B-movie stuff.

The real problem is more that the entire statue is creepily sexualized. Notice how the boobs are near-pristine. There's barely a scratch on them. It's a sexualized depiction of a murdered woman. She's been stripped of her head, arms, legs...everything except her bust is gone. This thing appeals to troglodytes who view women as walking pairs of breasts. iIf this doesn't sound disturbing to you...the thing looks like a serial killer's trophy.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
I think what's generally holding Tales back in the West, as opposed to Final Fantasy, is that Tales charas gotta act less like middle schoolers and more like high schoolers or above.

What a dreadful blanket statement you're making. Middle schoolers? Just where do you get that impression from? I didn't realize keeping the death of a friend's mother a secret to avoid hurting them or deciding to die for the sake of others qualifies as middle schooler behavior. Confused
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

The real problem is more that the entire statue is creepily sexualized. Notice how the boobs are near-pristine. There's barely a scratch on them. It's a sexualized depiction of a murdered woman. She's been stripped of her head, arms, legs...everything except her bust is gone. This thing appeals to troglodytes who view women as walking pairs of breasts. iIf this doesn't sound disturbing to you...the thing looks like a serial killer's trophy.

I'll have to admit, putting it in the context of a trophy does paint it in more of a demented light, but to be fair I'm sure that's not at all what they were aiming for with this statue (though to a fan of slasher flicks, that might sound like a funny extra layer of schlocky humor). I'm not sure if you're at all a fan of horror movies, but fanservice/sex has always been a huge part of the genre --- part of the camp of horror flicks is watching the sexy/handsome antagonists get chopped to pieces (which is why so many horror movies revolve around dumb/annoying teenagers, like the Friday the 13th movies). In that sense, I think it's a matter of context and perspective how you'll view this statue --- if you're a huge horror fan that's used to sexy, gory violence and schlocky novelty items, this statue will come across as a funny, campy reflection of the genre (one of my female friends is really into horror films and I'm pretty sure she'd just laugh at this statue, so I think even female horror fans would see it that way). To gamers though, that aren't necessarily fans of or familiar with splatter or gore, I can see how this statue could easily give a bad impression. Maybe if you can imagine yourself walking through a Spencer's gift store on Halloween, if you saw this statue you might not be so affected by its graphic/sexualized nature.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I would have liked if the 3ds bundle had come with a physical copy of the game, as well as the pre order bonus artbook, but I got it anyways. I've had the grey 'phat' DS since it first debuted, I'm not really into collectible and stuff, but I just couldn't resist.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Well put. There can't be an all-or-nothing delineation when it comes to judging whether something offends someone or not. There's a certain point where combined elements of a visual representation, taken to an extreme, look tacky rather than pleasing. It's up to the individual to decide where it fits on the spectrum for them.

In just one example, the character designs from the Disgaea and Neptunia series that The X Button's writer likes to complain about are a long way indeed from the Dead Island tie-in. You can't argue that a lot more people will find the former more cute and charming than the latter, even though there'll still be a lot who find all of it creepy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Misogyny is a term that should be used for the most hateful and violent depictions of women. I have been playing Corpse Party and while I think that it can sometimes be debatable if it is misogynistic, I decided to pick up the manga Corpse Party: Masamune thinking it was an adaptation of Corpse Party. hoo boy. That is misogyny. Only bad things happen to the girls, they are usually undressed before killed and implied raped and it's just disgusting. The author CLEARLY has some pent up feelings towards the fairer sex.

Isn't the artist for that manga a woman?

Anyway, you're right about how crying misogyny over every little thing devalues the original meaning of the word, but this isn't misogyny. Nor is all the fanservice anime Zac hates. Misogyny is a 14 year old Pakistan girl being shot in the head 3 times for dare saying girls have a right to an education. It does not refer to a cheap piece of plastic tat bundled in a video game pre-order bonus or a silly fanservice cartoon. People really need to stop using 'misogyny' as a buzzword. The worst you can call this figure is tasteless.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're at all a fan of horror movies, but fanservice/sex has always been a huge part of the genre --- part of the camp of horror flicks is watching the sexy/handsome antagonists get chopped to pieces (which is why so many horror movies revolve around dumb/annoying teenagers, like the Friday the 13th movies).

"But horror's always been misogynistic!" is not a good response. It was also once the norm to have any non-white character be a horrendous stereotype, that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed.

I'm not a fan of schlocky horror movies at all precisely because they always have this "watch this cute girl suffer! YAY~!" undertone to them. It's a western form of Ryona and it's no less disturbing.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're at all a fan of horror movies, but fanservice/sex has always been a huge part of the genre --- part of the camp of horror flicks is watching the sexy/handsome antagonists get chopped to pieces (which is why so many horror movies revolve around dumb/annoying teenagers, like the Friday the 13th movies).

"But horror's always been misogynistic!" is not a good response. It was also once the norm to have any non-white character be a horrendous stereotype, that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be changed.

I'm not a fan of schlocky horror movies at all precisely because they always have this "watch this cute girl suffer! YAY~!" undertone to them. It's a western form of Ryona and it's no less disturbing.

Huh... well, I can't speak on behalf of all horror films, but for most of what I've seen I would say that the trope of killing off young sexy teens is for a campy, almost humorous effect. I usually don't watch horror films because I take them seriously, I'm usually laughing at the gruesome deaths that the characters undergo, especially if the writers made certain characters particularly annoying.

TBH, I think for fanservice/sex in a horror movie to be misogynistic, it would have to stem from a hatred of women (that's what misogyny means right?) But I've really never seen that as the case for horror movies in general --- usually it's just that fans enjoy titillation and they also like gore, and a lot of the schlockier films combine the two for trashy, oftentimes humorous effect. Whenever there's an annoying alpha blonde getting ripped apart by a monster, I've never had the impression that it stemmed from some screenwriter's deep-seated hatred of the female gender. And when you consider there are just as many films where the raven-haired, sensible heroine is the only survivor at the end (like Halloween, or the 90's Night of the Living Dead remake), it's even harder to say that the genre has a seething grudge against women in particular.

I suppose horror films are an acquired taste, so I'm just trying to make the case that they're usually not something to be taken seriously, (they're mostly entertaining for the thrills and the humor) and I've never had the impression that they're expressing some specific hatred towards women.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Anyway, you're right about how crying misogyny over every little thing devalues the original meaning of the word, but this isn't misogyny. Nor is all the fanservice anime Zac hates. Misogyny is a 14 year old Pakistan girl being shot in the head 3 times for dare saying girls have a right to an education.

So if it's not among the most extreme things that have ever happened, a woman should just shut up if she finds something offensive, right? That's basically what you're saying.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Huh... well, I can't speak on behalf of all horror films, but for most of what I've seen I would say that the trope of killing off young sexy teens is for a campy, almost humorous effect. I usually don't watch horror films because I take them seriously, I'm usually laughing at the gruesome deaths that the characters undergo, especially if the writers made certain characters particularly annoying.

TBH, I think for fanservice/sex in a horror movie to be misogynistic, it would have to stem from a hatred of women (that's what misogyny means right?) But I've really never seen that as the case for horror movies in general --- usually it's just that fans enjoy titillation and they also like gore, and a lot of the schlockier films combine the two for trashy, oftentimes humorous effect. Whenever there's an annoying alpha blonde getting ripped apart by a monster, I've never had the impression that it stemmed from some screenwriter's deep-seated hatred of the female gender. And when you consider there are just as many films where the raven-haired, sensible heroine is the only survivor at the end (like Halloween, or the 90's Night of the Living Dead remake), it's even harder to say that the genre has a seething grudge against women in particular.

I suppose horror films are an acquired taste, so I'm just trying to make the case that they're usually not something to be taken seriously, (they're mostly entertaining for the thrills and the humor) and I've never had the impression that they're expressing some specific hatred towards women.

While I can definitely see what you mean, my beef mainly comes from how female characters in horror tend to have their pain/deaths dwelled a little more than male characters. At least, from what I've seen.

I'm not a big fan of horror, but if I wanna watch a horror film I prefer the more sublte psych-horror or suspense ones, especially the more "artsy" ones. Nothing wrong with enjoying a little schlock every once in a while though, as long as you express due dliligence Wink
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I want that Fire Emblem 3DS so much, I love that color for my handhelds, but it's hard to justify when you already have one and even trading it in will still cost a good amount that could be put towards a 3DSXL. I know this is just a NA re-release of the 3ds that Japan got, but I wish this was a 3DS XL. I would already have it pre-ordered.

I hope that the release of Pandora's Tower prompts a reprinting of Xenoblade Chronicles. Held out for a price drop that never came and now it's sold out. Probably should have picked up that bundle that Nintendo had...

I'm glad to see positive reviews and talk about Ni no Kuni, don't need to cancel my CE pre-order now Smile

As for that statue, I don't really want to get in the middle of that, but I do think it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it was a similar male torso. Someone get to inventing that What If machine from Futurama.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell does everyone want a 3DSXL so much? It can't really fit into pockets very well and a portable that can't fit into pockets is worthless.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why the hell does everyone want a 3DSXL so much? It can't really fit into pockets very well and a portable that can't fit into pockets is worthless.

I can't speak for others, but I tend to play portable games at home far more than anywhere else, so fitting in my pocket isn't really that important.
My commute isn't very long, and I drive anyway. When I travel I do bring my DSi, but it goes in a backpack, so it wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have it and only had an XL.

Being portable just means you can play it anywhere, but that doesn't mean it has to be away from home.

Oh, and it also improves on the original in things like battery life, buttons etc, so there's that too.

Also, if there was a DS player for the Wii (and I hope there will be one for the WiiU) I'd buy it in a second.

Btw, since it wasn't mentioned, for anyone that doesn't know, there's a demo up for the new Fire Emblem. It's short but was pretty fun. I'm going to have to pull one of the older games out of my backlog and start playing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5