• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Buy - They might not be selling anime anymore.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vash_the_Stamp3d3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
gundamlion wrote:
i think that best buy is losing it's anime customers to suncost and samgoody. best buy is probebly trying to get more customers buy selling anime at lower prices, and the reason their anime selections are getting smaller is probebly because they aren't getting as much anime as they use to because of less anime customers. the reason i think best buy is losing anime business to suncoast and samgoody is because the last time i was at suncoast, the anime selection was unbelievable! they're even giving free promotional anime items away with the purchase of an anime, not only that, but they've started selling pocky sticks, ramune soda, manga, and more right by the anime sections. maybe best buy should do this.

See this just speaking of the Best Buy near you. I dont have neither a Sam Goody or Suncoast remotely close to where I live and the two Best Buys and Media Play near where I live (Detroit) are full of anime. If anime not selling in a specific store, like where your at, why keep its stock full when you can take that merchandise and put it in a Best Buy that is selling anime like crazy, like the one near me. Best Buy as a whole is not going to stop selling anime or reduce its selection, just some are in an area where the competition is stopping them. By the way Suncoast is ridiculously expensive, it is my last resort in buying anything anime, I dont know how a Best Buy cannot compete with that with there 19.99 a DVD to Suncoast almost $30 dollars a DVD.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
My Best Buy still has its 30 ft of shelf space devoted to anime. The FYE and Suncoast around my place only have a third that amount.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:09 pm Reply with quote
About two weeks (maybe less) I was at best buy and how serial experiment Lain complete series for 15 dollars. All I had on me at the time was a $20 so I went to ask on of employee if this was an error or something (I didn't want to look like a retard at the checkout, and be like "oh I don't have enough money") well after walking around for like ten mins I found someone what he explain to me was that they (Bestbuy) were cutting down on Anime DVDs but that they intend to carry all the new releases still. The Manager at this store decided to sell all anime that was X amount (I don't know exactly how old) of days old at like 65% off or something.

I don't know if this was just at my store (Southern California, 1 hour south of LA) but I have got back there since then and most of older stuff is gone now, and the section has been cut back, but all the anime is only (except for some older DVDs that had yet to be sold) brand new releases.

Delta Kiral

P.S. GITS:SAC each volume was like 10 dollars, I wish I waited for that.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I was just there the other day, and it seems they aren't really ordering many new releases. They're just hoping to sell out some of the older ones and maybe clear up a little more space. That's my theory anyway.

Last edited by .Sy on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
gundamlion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
there is a best buy near me with tons of anime, i got evangelion platinum #2 dvd for 19.99, gundam seed #1 dvd for 11.99, and nadesico #2 dvd for 7.99, now THATS a deal.
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
My GOD I gotta go there sometime soon. It's right across from my Barnes and Noble, too.
Just go online and order it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This may be true for your BestBuys, but the two that I go to are actually just as stocked as ever, even getting several new titles in the last few weeks. The selection they have is great, in terms of titles, but they never seem to have the first couple of volumes, or if they do, it's in a set. This may be good for those who are going to start a new series, but not for guys like me who have just discovered the bargain of sets, and are forced to buy the dvds individually. It just seems that there's a conspiracy which makes me buy an item for cheap price, then they show a pak of them for a even better pack, right after I bought the single item.... Anime cry (sucks to be me)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
gundamlion wrote:
there is a best buy near me with tons of anime, i got evangelion platinum #2 dvd for 19.99, gundam seed #1 dvd for 11.99, and nadesico #2 dvd for 7.99, now THATS a deal.

Yeah, I noticed that if Best Buy sits on anime for awhile they tend to lower the prices on it, the Best Buy here in Lincoln has Spiral Vols. 1-3 at 11.99, Gundam SEED Vol. 1 at 11.99, and so on, currently I'm waiting for them to drop the price of the Tenjho Tenge DVD 1 w/ box so I can pick that up...shouldn't take more than a couple more weeks since they haven't even moved one of those yet...
DarthLampe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I work for Best Buy. As of this moment, I've heard zero news of making the anime sections smaller or lack of new titles. My specific store, being in a college town, does have a decent amount and has for a while. All that said, I'm low on the totem pole so to speak, so the corporate level could have things set out to be different. Regardless, at this time I've noticed no lack of anime, lack of new/old titles, or abnormal callbacks. Leads me to believe your specific stores were either running low on stock, or never had all that much to begin with. It could have been just your mind playing tricks on you as well. That has been known to happen to people. In any event, even if Best Buys do lessen their content, I'm positive they won't drop the anime altogether.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
DarthLampe wrote:
Regardless, at this time I've noticed no lack of anime, lack of new/old titles, or abnormal callbacks. Leads me to believe your specific stores were either running low on stock, or never had all that much to begin with. It could have been just your mind playing tricks on you as well. That has been known to happen to people. In any event, even if Best Buys do lessen their content, I'm positive they won't drop the anime altogether.

Well, I don't think my mind was playing tricks on me, but in the case of the Best Buys that I shop at, their anime sections are usually pretty full. They take up at least one full section (and sometimes wrap around to the next aisle) so there is an excellent selection of titles. It also helps that these stores that I shop at are located in fairly populated areas.
fargazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:59 am Reply with quote
One thing I notice is Best Buy's instore pricing is a bit irregular, depending upon the store I visit. Often I will find particular titles at a very low price. Some examples I have purchased recently include:

Overman King Gainer (1, 2, and 3) for $11.99 each
Kitty Grade 8 for $8.99
Gundam Seed 1, Boxed w OST, for $19.99

This varies from store to particular store; one Best Buy may have a title or two on "ultra cheap" mode, while another will have completely different titles in that mode. Personally, I tend to cruise through any Best Buy I happen to be near, just to see what may be in "ultra cheap" mode; for that price, I can afford to take a flyer or two on new anime to see if I like it or not.

Semi Off Topic Note: Bestbuy.Com is treated separately from Best Buy B+M (bricks and mortar); you cannot get the B+M stores to necessarily honor the web prices if you note a difference between B+M and web.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
jagozon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:58 am Reply with quote
Yes..at my Best Buy too,now this is conserning me.At the Best Buy i go to,they ususal have 3 full sctions of anime and they keep up with all the new releases.But about a month ago they've gone down to 2 and a half sections and theres lots of empty gaps,and they haven't been getting all the new releases on time(if at all).There my #1 source for anime,i hope they dont stop. Crying or Very sad
Sinshadow22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a great situation here. Next to my local BB is a Barnes and Nobles, and 2 blocks down is a Sam Goody and FYE (but FYE has nothing but Hentai and DBZ) so if I can't find something old like Bebop or Trigun at BB it's at probably at the other stores.
.Sy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
I was at BB again, and they're section does seem a bit sparser. Usually, the shelves are full with anime, but this time, there were a few bare spots. It's kinda wierd, because on ICv2 there was an article about Best Buy trying to expand its anime section. But I probably read that wrong.
My local Barnes & Noble also has a Best Buy behind it. A few blocks down there's a mall with FYE and Suncoast. Not to mention, a big Borders is right down the lane.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Well as far as I can tell, my BB in New York does have a small anime collection like it always does, but they always sell the hit animes. They never sell anything more then 2 years old. That's what that manager told me so of couse they are doing good in that department. What I hate is that the good stuff sells out fast so you would have to wait a week in order to get it. I don't know what the fuss is about them not selling good anime, but if they don't have what you want, you could always go online and place an order for it and do pick up so you don't have to pay for shipping. You'll just have to wait a week in order for it to arrive. Thats not long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4