• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Koreans Speak Out Against K-Pop Boom Lies Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
ajlordnikon wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
I read about this last night at AllKPop and though I don't like how this manga degrades some of these groups I was even more upset on how some of those fans on AllKPop just went on to bash ALL of Japan.

Most of the Japanese (at least the younger generation) LOVE most of the Korean groups who debute there! Korean groups are greatly supported over in Japan so people shouldn't judge the whole of Japan, but the creators of the manga and so on.

Have better sense than that people Confused

Counterpoint, from a human's right's view. KPop is exploiting women in such a manner that it is having an adverse affect as a foreign influence of native Japanese citizens. Granted JPop does the same thing, but the Japanese have the power or ability if not directly through their own government to control such affects whereas they can not control or affect a foreign influence.

If anything maybe this should be a wake up call to the Korean government to investigate such abuses in the industry. And granted the Jpop industry should be looked into as well by the government, Or if that isn't going to float the boat, then look at it this way Kpop steals money from the Jpop industry who is exploiting women there.

What boggles my mind is how the demographics that buys in to JPop/KPop claim to be so opened minded (not directed to the OP) and yet closes a blind eye to this exploitation.

You're not really making sense here. The supposedly dirty secrets of the KPop industry are being depicted through manga drawn by a Japanese source. How does that make KPop responsible as a kind of "international source of trouble for native Japanese citizens"? And your point can be likewise counter-argued by looking at the Korean perspective, where JPop dirty secrets are being revealed in Korea and the Korean government is helpless to stop these secrets from spreading. It's just not reasonable to think of this issue in such a way.

Of course sexual exploitation of celebrities is morally and legally wrong and should be discussed about, but the actual problem with this particular manga is that it blatantly depicted SNSD and Kara as if the author knew for a fact that they were sexually exploited. The author even noted in the manga that it was based on reliable sources, the sources allegedly being former Korean pop idols who were working as hostesses in Japan. Unfortunately, I highly doubt the author has any real evidence to put in front of a judge and from recent news it looks like SM and DSP Entertainment will be aggressively pursuing to put an end to this nothing-more-than-slander.

Personally? Anti-kpop maniac went too far. Just like that Japanese TV program that showed pictures/video footage of Kim Yuna training without permission. The question is if this maniac will be let go with a simple "I'm sorry I won't do it again" like that Japanese TV program producer did.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
the manga is just telling the truth.
iecchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
y do korean alway make something so small into a HUGE problem
they should be grateful their people even appear in a manga.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
They don't appreciate any statements made against them BY foreigners, let alone Japanese.

Having grown up here in South Korea, I've been privy to the kind of unscrupulous underbelly to its economy, politics, and yes, even people.

But then again, there's a seemy underbelly to a lot of businesses anywhere so even I've known about this kinda stuff. I don't like that it's true, I'm not proud of it, but that's just the way things are.

It's also a reason I tend to avoid being a fan of girl groups or bands here because of the overtones and subtleties they just trickle, it's unsettling and it's all because of their label's marketing schemes.

Knowing that there is a fanbase for Kpop in Japan is nice, but it's just as fair to know there are plenty of jingoists who try to defame or discredit them for the sake of looking better despite being hypocritical.

Another obvious problem here is the fact that what frustrates this online Korean rage is that its a Japanese mangaka going to lengths to make the ugly side of K-pop public, not the ugly side itself, it's humiliating in plenty of ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2