• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suncoast/Media Play/Sam Goody

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargazer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:01 pm Reply with quote
You can get a decent prices at Media Play, but it takes some planning:

• Reserve titles you know you want on Replay triple point days (Replay is their frequent buyer program; triple points basically means you get 15% of your purchase back in certificates). Sometimes you get additional points for each reservation as well as the triple point deal.
  • Pick up your reservations only on Replay triple point days
  • Plow your gift certificates back into the purchase of your reserved anime or on sale items. If you spend them on other items, the high prices will shrink their buying power too much
This only works because typically (not for everything) Media Play reservation pricing is competitive on normal releases. Once a week has gone by, the prices change from the typical $19.99 to the store's normal high price of $29.99. Boxed sets tend to not be worth the price, even with the Replay triple points, though there have been some exceptions (Otogi Zoshi was one).

It takes a bit of effort to squeeze value out of Media Play, but it can be done; it just requires use of the frequent buyer program, patience (Replay certificates take over three weeks to arrive) and some long term planning. Six months ago, when they had some DVD trade in deals and less emphasis on their Showbidz program, it was easier.

Personally, I get my anime from a combination of a couple secondhand bookstores, Media Play, Best Buy, TRSI (hard to beat when they have a sale), Robert's Corner Anime Store, and Overstock.com. Media Play is my first stop for anime, but I track pricing closely and have no hesitation to search other venues for better pricing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number My Anime
VIZ94133

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote]Suncoast sells DVDs. And only DVDs. Whereas a Walmart, or BestBuy can get profit from a wider variety of products, we have to rely solely on our sales of DVDs, which the profit from, as already mentioned, is low to begin with.[/quote]

Yep, they are called loss-leaders. Best Buy draws you in to buy the cheap DVDs, CDs, & games, then get's you to buy items w/ higher profit margins, printer cartridges, appliances, etc.

Good times, huh?
sts9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I check out Media Play every once in a while, only because they will have a few mangas on sale every week, and I also like to see what action figures are being clearanced off Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2