• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Edo Eights and Heartbreak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Maybe the VA who did onsakamaru , and THAT'S a big maybe.

Hahah, that would be great! I mean the Japanese Onsakamaru, though.

penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
It's on par with the finer dubs Funimation has been putting out lately.

Bullshit. Animaze's Trigun dub is better than pretty much every dub Funimation's ever done, with the exception of Baccano.

Funimation didn't redub it, though, right? Did I just get this totally wrong?

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
As for as Vash "trying too hard", he doesn't. In fact, he tries to be a goof and succeeds really well.

I probably didn't explain this very well. Vash's character design is trying way too hard. I also hadn't watched as much anime when I first saw Trigun, so I thought his design was extra obnoxious. That was my first impression and I never got over it. Even as I learned more about Vash's personality, I couldn't stop thinking things like "Only a total a**** would wear sunglasses that looked like that!" I know Vash isn't an a****, but there's this visual contradiction going on whenever I look at him.

Youkai Warrior wrote:
She mostly talked about how she didn't like Vash, and didn't talk much about the show or why she made it Shelf Worthy (which it is, but I hope it was made Shelf Worthy for a good reason and not just because.) She also only talked about the animation and how it didn't hold up.... She didn't even talk about the premise or the story like she did for the other two reviews. Needless to say, I just didn't get the review.

I had actually written a much longer review, but I have a maximum word count so I had to cut it way down. I did put in one sentence about the plot, at least. It's difficult to describe the interesting part of the story without giant spoilers.

Quark wrote:
Edit: As for Trigun, I remember in highschool thinking that Vash the Stampede was incredibly cool. I watched the first couple episodes, loved them, and then very quickly lost interest, as it seemed like the show was going nowhere. Maybe it's time to dig the DVDs that are hidden somewhere in the house and give it another try.

I didn't get a chance to mention it in my review, my husband missed episode 17 on Cartoon Network and spent years thinking Trigun was crappy (except he liked spoiler[Wolfwood's death scene]).
If you don't see episode 17 and the final episode it seems like the characters are wandering aimlessly the entire time. After the final episode when you know what's going on, you'll want to watch the whole thing again. (I did.) Which is ultimately why I made it Shelf Worthy - because it's worth watching twice.

Sailor S wrote:
Now, don't get me wrong, I think Oh Edo Rocket is totally deserving of a Shelf Worthy rating, but I roll my eyes in exaggerated fashion at your implied claim that knowing to shout Tamaya and Kagiya during fireworks is somehow a virtually unknown aspect of Japanese culture. You've been to Japan Erin, please don't pretend that you're ignorant of these things. It's alright to admit that you're a raging otaku.

I mean, I know that, but I don't think it's something normal people know. Not everyone is obsessed with Japan... I don't assume that the reader is a raging otaku or has been to Japan.

Also, I didn't know the whole Tamaya/Kagiya thing until I read the lexicon entry someone linked to in this thread. I mean, I didn't know people still yell those names today.

mckg1 wrote:
Hey Erin, about the PS3 having no games, yea it actually has more exclusive games than any other system(the 360 has games that are in the PC so i don't count that as exclusive). Do some research and you will see what i mean.

Sorry, that was a just a meme! My only research was 4chan. Razz

maxxjulie wrote:
erin's opinions are really strange sometimes. i wonder if she realizes she doesn't think the way most people do.

I honestly thought my opinions were fairly normal until I started writing Shelf Life. Whenever I talk to friends in real life we seem to share the same opinions, but maybe I just attract weirdos, who knows?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Captain Obvious, everyone.
That's what the name says--don't wear it out.

penguintruth wrote:
Also, it's not just my opinion. It's plenty of others'.

treatment wrote:
Actually, it's not just his opinion. Mine and many many others, too. Laughing
No, no, no--I didn't mean it as though he's the only one with that an opinion, I meant that it was only an opinion. >.>

treatment wrote:
In contrast, the only Funi-dub that's even remotely close to an Animaze-dub in terms of quality, kickassness and stuff is...Fruits Basket. Every Funi-dub before and since have been completely sucktacular.
Pfft, like hell. To say that Fruits Basket is the only good dub FUNi has put out is total bull. It's not even their best one. >.>

I like most of Animaze's dubs that I've heard, but their best is as good as FUNi's best. But hell, that's all I've really got to say. Think I'll digress from this topic now.

-Sano

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Wow, is there really need for the profanity just because someone states something you may not agree with? Holy crap man.

If you're offended by a single, mild obscenity, you need to stay clear of the internet. And books, movies, music, etc.

I don't take umbridge over the word, more like the direction. I think calling someone's opinion "bullshit", especially over something as small as the quality of a dub, is pretty rude and unneeded
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I like a lot of Animaze's dub, but I don't think their best is as good as FUNi's best.

o,o

What is Funi's best dub then? I can't for the life of me think of something that approaches GITS and Cowboy Bebop. Baccano was close, but not quite.

Quote:
No, no, no--I didn't mean it as though he's the only one with that an opinion, I meant that it was only an opinion. >.>

It's such a commonly held opinion it might as well be fact =\

Quote:
If you're offended by a single, mild obscenity, you need to stay clear of the internet. And books, movies, music, etc.

[/internet argument]
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

treatment wrote:
In contrast, the only Funi-dub that's even remotely close to an Animaze-dub in terms of quality, kickassness and stuff is...Fruits Basket. Every Funi-dub before and since have been completely sucktacular.
Pfft, like hell. To say that Fruits Basket is the only good dub FUNi has put out is total bull. It's not even their best one. >.>

I like most of Animaze's dubs that I've heard, but I don't think their best is as good as FUNi's best.

now that's even more your definition of your opinion than your definition of Penguin's. Razz

so, meh. Laughing

I reckon you just need to get more Animaze-dubbed titles to listen to. Most likely, however, many of the Animaze-dubbed anime are probably just not the anime you're into. It's all good.

Even more tragic is that some of them titles are probably OOP now.

que sera sera...
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope Johnny comes back as Vash for the new dub, even if none of the other originals do. I don't count on it, but it would be nice.

I love Vash, he is one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. How do I determine this....he makes me cry. Only characters I truly love can do that. I can barely keep it together whenever he thinks about Rem, especially. I get more emotional around the manga than I do the anime(which I had not watched for a long while until I started showing it to my dad) but I now know that I still love the anime and am glad it still has the effect on me that it used to.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
[Sorry, I accidentally edited this post without meaning to ~Zalis]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
In fact, this is one of the few times I think an anime actually totally outdid the manga in regards to story.

Woah, woah, woah... let's not go overboard here. Sure, the actual story goes off quite a different path than how the anime wraps things up. However, shorter does not equal better.
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Wow...where did this person find, not only the TV series, but also the two Cardcaptor Sakura movies? And on DVD no less!!!

The movies were (and likely still are) a lot easier to find at reasonable prices.
John Casey wrote:
Also....R4 got a CG R2 hardbox release!? URRGH! I fricking hate Bandai even more now.

Seriously, what the hell happened to them? It's like they've given up.

I was irked by R4 getting a legit series-box for Death Note... and then I saw the Shana box in the next pic *RAGE!!!*
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Funimation didn't redub it, though, right? Did I just get this totally wrong.

Oh, no, no. Funimation didn't redub it. Same dub. I'm glad about this and FLCL retaining its dub for Funi's release of that.

The Trigun movie, on the other hand, will probably have a mostly new cast, according to rumors.

Sorry about getting all "GRRR... ENGLISH DUBS". But hey, this is proof that there are actually some that I enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

BTW, Ms. Erin. It wasn't in 2000 when anime started switching to digital animation cells. It was actually in 1999. Cowboy Bebop was actually the first offical production to be done in digital drawn cells. (though it was made in late 1998) it paved the way for future anime to be produced digitally.

Bzzt. Bebop aired starting spring 98. Probably more than 95% of Bebop is cels photographed on film. Only some obvious 3DCG space shots and a few effects shots were done digitally. If you can tell the difference between cel and digital animation, those scenes stick out readily. (Faye tripping on mushrooms in the bathroom comes to mind). In any case, Escaflowne used digital animation for effects shots in a similar way two years earlier (the tarot card part near the beginning of every episode, the dragon in episode one, Guymelef "cloaking".) There are more details on that in an article on Escaflowne in the unfortunately now long defunct EX.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
I couldn't recommend Edo Rocket more than I do now. It was quite possibly one of the most entertaining random anime I've ever seen (the other two being FLCL and Kazoku Nikki). It definitely needs more viewers! It's worth the price :3
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:18 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

BTW, Ms. Erin. It wasn't in 2000 when anime started switching to digital animation cells. It was actually in 1999. Cowboy Bebop was actually the first offical production to be done in digital drawn cells. (though it was made in late 1998) it paved the way for future anime to be produced digitally.

Bzzt. Bebop aired starting spring 98. Probably more than 95% of Bebop is cels photographed on film. Only some obvious 3DCG space shots and a few effects shots were done digitally. If you can tell the difference between cel and digital animation, those scenes stick out readily. (Faye tripping on mushrooms in the bathroom comes to mind). In any case, Escaflowne used digital animation for effects shots in a similar way two years earlier (the tarot card part near the beginning of every episode, the dragon in episode one, Guymelef "cloaking".) There are more details on that in an article on Escaflowne in the unfortunately now long defunct EX.

Cowboy Bebop first aired in the fall of 1998 not spring. It was first test run on TVWOW from October 26,1998 to January 4,1999. If you watch episode "0" which is on the 6th volume DVD it has a documentary on the development of the show as well as a late fall 1998 press release dating the premiere of the show as 10/26/98. The show was picked up by Nippon TV after dismal monday night ratings and ran its full 26 episodes on there saturady nights from January 2,1999 to July 17,1999.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

I like most of Animaze's dubs that I've heard, but their best is as good as FUNi's best.

I would say their best are better than Funi's, but I think Funi turns out some good dubs overall. I haven't heard one I haven't liked yet from them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Cowboy Bebop first aired in the fall of 1998 not spring. It was first test run on TVWOW from October 26,1998 to January 4,1999. If you watch episode "0" which is on the 6th volume DVD it has a documentary on the development of the show as well as a late fall 1998 press release dating the premiere of the show as 10/26/98. The show was picked up by Nippon TV after dismal monday night ratings and ran its full 26 episodes on there saturady nights from January 2,1999 to July 17,1999.

The first broadcast of a handful of episodes on TV Tokyo occurred in spring of 98. The WOWOW airing was the first full airing and went through spring of 99, not January.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
TC-man wrote:
Well, I guess Girls Bravo is only for the male audience (or not?).

Nah, I'm a woman and I love it. I'm a sucker for womanizers like Fukuyama and I like the characters very much. Like an extreme Tenchi type of thing for me.

I always seem to bump into genres like ecchi and harem and like them even though its usually "not my thing." If characters and art are good for me, they got me.

Quote:
Tomoka, who claims she's not a kid but wears an elementary school backpack and watches children's shows (her real age is unclear)

I just took that as her being a kid trying to act like an adult. Fukuyama never really seem to "hit" on her like he does for the other girls. Especially how he acted toward her when she ran away.

As for Ebi, never really understood that one. I guess one way to take it is that they might play the "midget" card, perhaps? Not really, but its possible for Tomoka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5