• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Adult Beveridge

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Because I didn't buy Emma manga volume 5 before it went OOP, I ended up paying $35 for it.

On the other hand, I paid around retail price for Ugetsu Hakua's flamboyant artbook (DMP edition, $24.95), which now goes for at least $70 used on Amazon.com's marketplace. Barring a reprint, I have something I can sell for a profit in a pinch.

Most expensive items in my collection (at time of purchase) have to be Wings of Honneamise (Blu-ray/DVD) and Gunbuster (DVD) from Bandai Visual USA. WoH will be worth more in terms of viewing pleasure once I actually get an HD setup. Guess I can use the Blu-ray to test play stuff in stores in the mean time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
I've done a few AMVs. They're all pretty terrible, though. Even the one I'm working on, which will probably be my best, isn't going to be as the Haruhi "Skittles" AMV or that really good 08th MS Team AMV with the Nightwish song. Or any of the MoreThanToast videos (damn those were good... especially "Only In Dreams"). I did a FMA movie AMV to Three Dog Night's "Shambala". The new one is a DBZ video about Gohan to "Carry On My Wayward Son" by Kansas.

I remember the old days of AnimeOnDVD.com, back before Mania came along and made a mess of the site format. It's a lot more difficult to navigate and it looks pretty awful. It's a real shame because I used to go to AnimeOnDVD all the time. It was second only to ANN. Now I hardly ever go.

I collect anime for several reasons. One, I like to own physical copies. And because I watch and rewatch everything I have. I've gotten more use out of my Cowboy Bebop DVDs than a church out of its Bibles. I like to refer back to a scene at times, too, because I write about anime, so having those discs handy is useful. Of course, the problem now is, I'm running out of room to put all of it.

Since I rewatch everything over and over again, I have noticed that there are things I don't like as much as I used to (Blue Seed, Ronin Warriors), but plenty still hold up (Cowboy Bebop, the Gundam movie trilogy, Fullmetal Alchemist).

I still haven't finished collecting my VHS stuff on DVD, so collecting my DVD stuff on Blu-Ray will have to wait. I'm constantly revisiting my stuff, so I should get on it at some point. I was devastated when my VCR stopped working. But at least Blu-Ray players are backwards compatable.

Electronic books, manga or otherwise, makes me want to vomit. Who wants to carry around something that if you drop it, you need to spend 400 dollars to replace? You drop a volume of manga, you pick it back up. Nothing beats holding a volume of manga, with its print smell and heft. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit like Yumiko Readman.

And just downloading or streaming anime is never good enough for me. I may have folders filled with digital anime, but I wouldn't want to give up owning physical copies.

Oh, and I got the Wings of the Honneamise DVD/Blu-Ray set for Christmas. It was likely very expensive. As far as purchases I made myself I bought both DVD releases of Bubblegum Crisis. A year after I bought the original set, the remastered one came out.

I spent quite a bit of money on the original 2 Tenchi Muyo OVAs. Again, just a little while before Funimation license rescued it.

These DBZ Dragon Boxes I've been getting are supposedly limited releases, but you know Funimation and DBZ. Still, I'm going to be a sucker and get them as soon as I can.

Oh, right, I forgot about that first Zeta Gundam DVD set. Expensive and disappointing (the release, not the show).

I remember the Eye of Vogler set for Giant Robo. I have those discs in plastic sleeves because the jewel cases inside broke.

(Also, Zac managed to pronounce "Escaflowne" correctly after pronouncing it incorrectly once in this episode.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
immortalrite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
The discussion about DVD packaging was really amusing, especially the complaints about crappy disk hubs and stuff coming in those old, over-sized software boxes. Laughing

However, I personally find the absolute worst thing in the disk-packaging realm to be those terrible spindle/stackpacks. This seriously has to be the worst, laziest idea I have yet seen in terms of disk packaging. I remember when I finally got my Azumanga Daioh DVD's in the ADV re-package from 2009 and was horrified to find that ALL SIX DISKS were stacked on top of each other (I actually scratched one of them pretty badly attempting to pull it off of that spindle). After I bought a blank six-disk replacement case and threw out the original I swore that I would never buy anything from ADV again unless I knew exactly how the disks were packaged and could plan accordingly. Apparently they even did a stackpack for the latest THREE-DISK release of Elfen Lied. What makes this even more strange is how, at the same time, they did a proper multi-hub case for their re-release of Now and Then, Here and There, which was also three disks. Sad because it seems as though before ADV went to stackpacks, it looks like they released a lot of their stuff in these really nice, chipboard-enclosed thinpack sets. At least say I am glad to have purchased Kino's Journey in this older format.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:30 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
EDIT: Should also say that I also regret not re-buying Perfect Blue when I had the chance as wile I own that film the DVD is scratched to shit and stutters in some places Sad

There's always the UMD!

I really hope someone puts the bluray remaster of Perfect Blue out over here. The master done by Manga is pretty tacking looking in places. As in, really bad pan & scan during parts of the beginning.

And I know the feeling of being as well of being a fan back in the early 2000s (35 dollars for a single volume of manga, oh joy). I still adore my $230 last third of Utena, even if it looks like it were dipped in mud.. and a few other things.
Markerlight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
I dont have any huge single purchases but over time I've spent crazy amounts of money on a single series. I collected all 22 volumes of Rurouni Kenshin on dvd individually which worked out to something like $660 AUD. Add on the ovas, movie, and manga and oh my god... $1140! Yeah, I think you can say I really like that series.

My DVD collection just passed a 1000, and I've thought about building a media server so I can queue up different episodes from different shows and make my own 'Anime Hour'. But storage space isn't quite there yet. Assuming most disks are DL thats like 8,500gb. Maybe when hdd disks are twice as big for the same price as they are now I'll do it. Although I'll still keep my boxes, I just like having them on display. Partly because they're nice to look at and partly because I can see that my money hasn't gone into an intangible void.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
An interesting thing you mentioned where you pointed out that it could cause massive amounts of drama. You are kind of right because anime fans tend to have an irrational ego. Add in a sense of entitlement for people who think that making AMVs make them some creative genius and its even worse.

Who is this "You" person whom you're referring to?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
I really hope someone puts the bluray remaster of Perfect Blue out over here. The master done by Manga is pretty tacking looking in places. As in, really bad pan & scan during parts of the beginning.

I don't really know what you're talking about here, since Manga Video's Perfect Blue disc is letterboxed, not pan & scan. Also, atypical for Manga Video at that time, they didn't do anything wacky to cover up the Japanese credits either.

And yes, their mastering looks terrible, but this might be a case where you'll want to be careful what you wish for. The animation in Perfect Blue is pretty cheap and doesn't hold up well in high resolution. The crowd scenes in the beginning are actually so bad they're distracting. It bothered me in the theater and it REALLY bugs me on the Japanese BD. Don't get me wrong, I'd still take the BD over the old DVD, but... yeah, it's not exactly an exciting upgrade.

Anyway, from what I hear Manga Video's license is expired now, so who knows.

Last edited by jsevakis on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
Regarding the legality aspect: AMVs, unless they're commenting specifically on their copyrighted source material in a critical, educational or parodic fashion, they are absolutely not covered by fair use, unless perhaps the amount of copyrighted content used is very small. In other words, no full songs. No amount of "I do not claim ownership of..." makes it legal. There's a lot of misinformation regarding fair use because people abuse it so miserably, but the most important thing to know is that it's a legal defense, not a protection against legal action being taken against you.

Yeah, I think getting money for illegal art is generally immoral.
larinon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:49 am Reply with quote
Other than my Garden of Sinners box, the most expensive anime purchase I've made was the Kimagure Orange Road DVD collection which was something like $250 from Animeigo themselves. Probably this set is most well known for the "revolutionary" idea of putting the opening and closing animation once on each disc.

But I don't plan to give up my anime media any time soon. As one of the guys said in the podcast, you never know when it's going away. I hate the idea of relying on a website to keep streaming something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:25 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
An interesting thing you mentioned where you pointed out that it could cause massive amounts of drama. You are kind of right because anime fans tend to have an irrational ego. Add in a sense of entitlement for people who think that making AMVs make them some creative genius and its even worse.

Who is this "You" person whom you're referring to?

Zac, I tend to use "you" when talking about a podcast or article.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Regarding the legality aspect: AMVs, unless they're commenting specifically on their copyrighted source material in a critical, educational or parodic fashion, they are absolutely not covered by fair use, unless perhaps the amount of copyrighted content used is very small. In other words, no full songs. No amount of "I do not claim ownership of..." makes it legal. There's a lot of misinformation regarding fair use because people abuse it so miserably, but the most important thing to know is that it's a legal defense, not a protection against legal action being taken against you.

Yeah, I think getting money for illegal art is generally immoral.

Those are the things I agree with. One thing about many AMV is that most AMV editors never credit original copyright holders for sake of fair use.

Okay, there is that customer appreciation thing with AX AMV programming and extremely creative & hard-worked video editing as Mr. Underwood said. However, no matter how genuine the intention and how much effort in AMV creation are, the bottom line is giving large monetary award for undeserved merit, misuse of copyrighted materials, and misguided appreciation. Here's another thing about being artsy and creativity which are popping up during the interview. If they are artsy and creative and HARD WORKING, how come no one is serious enough to go to next level? Whoever won AMV contests from other conventions, I would like see that person in action in the professional world.

I believe AX didn't put too much effort on how to give back to fans in most thoughtful way. I don't mind the contest, but it's the monetary prize that irks so many people. If they give away physical items like DVD, toy, or electronics of your choice instead, then it would be less problematic.
If AX was awarding a trip to an Anime studio or Japanese filming work in progress, it gives the winner invaluable insight and better appreciation on making Japanese animation from scratch. Video editing is just a part of animation making, but it doesn't represent the animation production as whole.

Don't get me wrong. I do have few AMVs I personally enjoy and watch them over and over again. It's the prize itself which is unfair to begin with.

Charred Knight wrote:

You're right. Whole ego, creative genius, and entitlement don't make AMV makers special. It has be earned in merit through hard work. I'm not totally looking down on effort of video editing. Unless they're serious about fair use with proper credits and making it in professional manner, they still don't get my respect. If they want respect, then earn respect by respecting others first. The first step would be fair use.

Last edited by reanimator on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Dear Justin: Did you really say Night Walker? The vampire detective show? I have that! When I was totally new to anime I bought the full-series in two 2-DVD sets (oh, how I remember my elderly-male Barnes & Noble coworker rolling his eyes at the romance-novel-trashy covers as he sold it to me Anime smile + sweatdrop ). I also remember wondering why, if he could levitate, the hero could spend most of an episode trapped in a pit in the ground.

Last edited by poonk on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Anyway, from what I hear Manga Video's license is expired now, so who knows.
Don't give up hope just yet. Wink
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
My most expensive anime DVD items, at the time at least, were surely one of the 3 Rurouni Kenshin Bento Box sets which were +$120 each back when they were new releases (and now they go for a mere ~$30 each Anime cry ). Though maybe there really is such a thing as karma because my most valuable DVD acquisition (atm at least) is probably an entirely random purchase of the entirety of Aura Battler Dunbine last year (all 12 ADV single DVDs in 2 chipboard artboxes) for a total of $32 plus tax from a local used DVD shop who obviously didn't know what they had on their hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
staroconner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Did Zac say that Panty and Stocking was unavailable on crunchyroll? (At 34:18 it seems like Zac says: "Right now I believe they yanked down Panty and Stocking...) I just went to crunchyroll and it seems to be up? Are only some of the episodes up? Anyone know what he was referring to?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4