• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aquarion Gets New TV Anime, Aquarion Evol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first Aquarion series (not the best series ever but definitely enjoyable), but I'm not sure where they'd go with another one. Perhaps they'll have more fun with reincarnation and have the main characters come back that way again for a new fight. I'm not sure what else they would do. Well, I guess that we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless, hopefully Funimation chooses to pick it up.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
More Aquarion? Meh. I say we need a hot blooded SR show right about now instead.

Haven't you been watching the new Super Robot Wars anime that's been airing?
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
The moment I got to the episode "Barefoot Warrior", I automatically knew this was a shit show aimed primarily at perverts, fetishists, and angsty people. I suspected it at first, but by the fourth episode, it was beyond redemption.

Unfortunately...that's a rather large demographic altogether. Can't blame them for milking the monies... Anime cry
tootbrush

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
Aquarion is the only good thing to come out of Evangelion.

If you didn't watch it like it satirizes everything Evangelion stands for, you were obviously gonna hate it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
Aquarion didn't feel like satire. It felt like Phil Tucker tried his hand at anime.

That is in no way satire or a comical commentary.
TJR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:30 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Ugh, why, why why?! Kawamori, why do you keep trying to bring this dead horse back to life? First an OVA, then a movie, now a new TV anime, Aquarion was not a good series.

I guess it was popular in Japan, though? I mean, otherwise, why keep making versions of it?

In terms of sales, Aquarion didn't do so hot in Japan either.

I'd guess that Kawamori must be proud enough of it to keep trying. IIRC, he wants to remake Basquash too, so he doesn't just write shows off as failures.
LBoogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
I think everyone's looking too far into Aquarion. Honestly, it isn't all that great. This is like G Gundam, or Godanner, or any other show along those lines (Yes, even Gurren Lagaan...I went there...). Extraordinarily and nearly impossible cast is somehow cohabited as part of an organization to fight the badguys. Along the way, they use every contrived plot device imaginable, and even manage to take some things even further than possibly believed.

Fact is, this show is just supposed to be something fun to watch. That's it. No thinking, no real philosophical debating. This is just an over the top action show to kill the time. And honestly, that's why I like it. Weird characters and over the top action. Mix and enjoy...just don't take it seriously.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote
I agree with people saying the show wasn't good. It had some decent moments/action but everything else was meh.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Aquarion didn't feel like satire. It felt like Phil Tucker tried his hand at anime.

That is in no way satire or a comical commentary.

I felt the same way in 2005 when this aired and I gave up on anime apart from trolling Shinn Asuka fans while GSD was airing. I rewatched 7 episodes of this in 2009 and found it hilarious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Aquarion Evomit, more like. Up until Aquarion, I had this dumb thing where if I owned the DVDs to a series, I felt obligated to watch the whole show from start to finish, no matter how bad it sucked. Aquarion cured me of that. I - somehow - made it to episode 13 (all of Part 1) and then for the sake of my sanity, threw in towel and ended up selling the both parts without ever having seen the second.

No more following up a waste of money with a waste of time for me.

Although, to be fair, I thought it at least looked great (which is why I foolishly blind bought it without sampling any of the eppies first).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
Ok, it seems like a lot of people gave up on this series halfway through.

1. I don't blame you, I almost did too
but
2. The final episodes were actually really well-done, to the point of making you wish they had worked that magic on the rest of the series.

So, I'm in for a new one, as long as it resembles the last 30% of the first series and not the beginning 70%. Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi will pick it up? Considering it wasn't just dumped to Save, and had a complete series box inbetween [and was one of their first boxset style releases], and it's been issued as part of Save twice [I picked up the repriced boxset w/thinpacks, then noticed in November they re-released it as a multidsic case], it seems they've probably moved a decent amount of the title. Though Hell Girl had a similar number of releases, so who knows?

If they don't, hope Sentai gives it a chance, even if subonly. Though isn't there also an unlicensed OVA series and movie?
RisikaFox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, what's with all the hate for Aquarion? Anime cry I actually really enjoyed this series.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 am Reply with quote
Lets be reality.

How will Aquarion 2 top the greatest anime OP of all time?
citizenplain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
I recently watched Aquarion on Netflix, and put it soundly in my "Good Like Mad Bull" category. If the second series is good, great. If it's bad, I hope its "Good Like Mad Bull" bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3