• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bandai's 1st Sailor Moon Action Figures in Years Previewed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Badass! I really want one! Even more good news that the figure will be released in the US. Is it wrong for me to want to get all the Sailors and play with the figures like a 12-year-old?
killa5k7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it will be cheaper in the US. It looks worth the almost fifty bucks as is. I just asked my wife for one and she rolled her eyes. She hates that I have a Sailor Moon pillowcase from when I was a kid.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Clearly it'll look like K-ON!; what else would they do?

What else? Tons of other character designs.

By the way, it's really time for them to give us some clue about the new show!

Rule of thumb: When they take a long time to show off any info or character designs, its generally because there is a big difference from what people are expecting.
Rule of index finger next door; when they feel confident enough to release a figure before the anime, that's a subtle clue as to what the character design might be, which, going by this figure, isn't that far off from the original to my eye's. Wink
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Nico1924 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
Clearly it'll look like K-ON!; what else would they do?

What else? Tons of other character designs.

By the way, it's really time for them to give us some clue about the new show!

Rule of thumb: When they take a long time to show off any info or character designs, its generally because there is a big difference from what people are expecting.
Rule of index finger next door; when they feel confident enough to release a figure before the anime, that's a subtle clue as to what the character design might be, which, going by this figure, isn't that far off from the original to my eye's. Wink

Bandai made the figurine, while Toei is making the anime. I wouldn't assume that this figurine has anything to do with the character designs of the new anime due to different people being behind both. There wouldn't be any reason to leak the character designs through a figurine first before an official revealing done by Toei (especially since we already saw this figurine back in last October. ).

According to Wikipedia, only involvement Bandai has with Sailor Moon is through video games and other merchandise like figurines.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Bandai made the figurine, while Toei is making the anime. I wouldn't assume that this figurine has anything to do with the character designs of the new anime due to different people being behind both. There wouldn't be any reason to leak the character designs through a figurine first before an official revealing done by Toei (especially since we already saw this figurine back in last October. ).

According to Wikipedia, only involvement Bandai has with Sailor Moon is through video games and other merchandise like figurines.
I agree, but that would only be an issue if the new designs were that much different than the original as fans might not want this if they think it will be not canon to the new look. I will hazard a guess Bandai contacted Toei to varify and confirm what their design plans are before they went and invested in releasing this new figure. You might accept that K-on-esque rendition of SM, but I wouldn't or any other for that matter, and I believe the majority of the SM fandom wouldn't either, so if Toei are planning on a great redesign, they are just building a rod for their own backs. Time will tell.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
I doubt it would be any K-On type of character designs, but given how big Pretty Cure is for Toei these days, I'd expect the character designs to be closer to that anime series. They'll probably have the same people working on it too as Pretty Cure, since there are two main teams they've got for Pretty Cure projects.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I doubt it would be any K-On type of character designs, but given how big Pretty Cure is for Toei these days, I'd expect the character designs to be closer to that. They'll probably have the same people working on it too as Pretty Cure, since there are two main teams they've got for Pretty Cure projects.
Chalk & cheese. Pre-Cure changed characters with new ones each season so it was easy to also change designs for each times. SM has established characters that are remaining so and are going to follow the manga more closely this time. A greater risk of pissing off the fandom by drastically changing the design for it.
Usagi04

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
This is great, I will have to order this. Anime smile
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt they're changing the character designs. Where does this idea come from? Hell, the logo they used for the 20th anniversary logo when announcing the new series uses the same character designs. Hell, they're re-releasing the mang

People usually don't wholesale change recognized characters especially, when you're pumping out new merchandise featuring the old designs.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I highly doubt they're changing the character designs. Where does this idea come from? Hell, the logo they used for the 20th anniversary logo when announcing the new series uses the same character designs. Hell, they're re-releasing the mang

People usually don't wholesale change recognized characters especially, when you're pumping out new merchandise featuring the old designs.

We'll see. They often modernize the look when bringing back old series though (since the point of it is to draw in new fans that might not like an older looking show), so thats why I'm expecting it to look a little different.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
If Toei is smart, they'd make it available to the world's TV stations faster than the first time around.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

We'll see. They often modernize the look when bringing back old series though (since the point of it is to draw in new fans that might not like an older looking show), so thats why I'm expecting it to look a little different.
I'll accept subtle changes to sharpen and give it a look of freshness, but not a complete redesign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2