• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch GN 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
But if there's a meta world then that - by its mere existence - automatically proves to Battler that magic does indeed exist.

not quite they actually do a great job of defining magic in the later episodes, spoiler[there is a strong non what you would call magic explanation for what is going on] Also the point is not if it exist period but if it is done via magic
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
^
As I said before, I'm basing this off the Anime which did not include the caveat of whether it was done by magic or not. In the Anime, Battler's position was that magic did not exist, period. Yet there he was arguing with a real-life witch.

I know it wouldn't be profitable but they should remake the Anime, it really screwed things up.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Yet there he was arguing with a real-life witch.

(meta discussion)spoiler[The nature of "meta" is commentary on what's going on in the games. Just because a commentator on a director's track on a DVD claims they can use magic doesn't mean they actually can, no matter how many cool sound effects they might try to use to sway your mind.]
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:18 am Reply with quote
^
But the person talking to Beatrice is still Battler. He still has all the same memories and experiences and the same personality as the Battler who is actually 'down there' on the island. Your analogy with the DVD track is erroneous.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
But the person talking to Beatrice is still Battler. He still has all the same memories and experiences and the same personality as the Battler who is actually 'down there' on the island. Your analogy with the DVD track is erroneous.

No, it's not. Battler is simply another commentator. Or, if this is easier to understand, it's like watching two people argue over a story.

Let's say Beatrice directed and starred in a movie about real events. In her movie, she claims she summoned a demon from hell with her magic and it ate Battler's family. The movie itself shows this happening. This doesn't mean Battler's family was actually eaten by a demon in real life.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
Battler is not "just" a commentator, he is also the same person as who is on the island. He knew those people personally.

And besides, you are missing the point despite my having repeatedly explained it; in the Anime Battler was insisting to Beatrice that magic did not exist at all, yet here he was talking to a real witch in a strange dimension. The inherent contradiction between his situation and his stated belief is what is really at fault.

You insist on continuing to use the movie analogy but it isn't valid.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
but then again, this is a manga topic , talking about battler does not believe in magic, it's either in the context of the manga or in the context of the whole franchise; if you mean that the anime makes battler contradicted you might be right as a novel/manga reader it is difficult for me to say otherwise.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Great review, Rebecca! Smile I look forward to seeing how your opinion on the series develops as future Episodes are released. Annnnd, I'd also recommend you probably just forgo reading the subsequent discussion threads. People really kind of suck when it comes to spoilers, and this is a series where such a thing really matters. Sad

On that note...

destructivesanctions wrote:
insisting that this relies too much on Christie is a little unfair.

It's both warranted and accurate, at least for EP1, which this is a review of. (Spoiler intended only for those already highly familiar with Umineko) spoiler[Christie and her works are even referenced in-story later on, alongside a handful other influential mysteries. Not to even mention things like Knox and Van Dine, which we're all thoroughly aware of. Wink ]

I think it's probably tough for a lot of fans to remember what Umineko is like without all the extra information and insight gained later on. The beginning really is painfully deceptive on what it becomes - not just thematically, but in quality as well. Umineko entirely eclipses Higurashi in my eyes, but it didn't even begin to surpass it until after EP5, which is not only far into the series, but beyond the scope of the anime entirely. I think that for the average observer, Umineko is something that gets worse before it gets better. But those parts which felt worse the first time take on an entirely new and meaningful life when revisited with future information, elevating the entire work.

dtm42 wrote:
^
But if there's a meta world then that - by its mere existence - automatically proves to Battler that magic does indeed exist.

That's a justified and logical argument, I'd say. But, it doesn't actually make it right. Wink In your defense, I'd say that's definitely the interpretation the author intended, or at least expected, the average reader to first arrive at. But, if the anime - terrible as it was - had animated the entire series, rather than stopping halfway, I'm sure even that would have been been thorough enough that you'd understand the seemingly illogical arguments you're contending with. But, would've could've. It'd be great if Umineko could have a better anime re-adaptation, but I don't think it ever will. At least the manga will cover the whole story.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Battler is not "just" a commentator, he is also the same person as who is on the island. He knew those people personally.

And besides, you are missing the point despite my having repeatedly explained it; in the Anime Battler was insisting to Beatrice that magic did not exist at all, yet here he was talking to a real witch in a strange dimension. The inherent contradiction between his situation and his stated belief is what is really at fault.

Once again BATTLER IS NOT DISPROVING ALL MAGIC, it is impossible to do. The horrible directing and confused versions of the characters in the anime screw this distinction up. Though when you fail to get the personalities of the charcters correctly I doubt you can even realize that this distinction happens, especially since this argument comes to a head at the beginning of episode 5 which is outside of the anime. though honestly I really doubt if the director actually read the novels/manga before working on umineko
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^

I just want to point out one thing there are three characters from another r7 franchise that are in this one have overshadowing control of this said game. Not even Beatrice, Battler or any one else on the island can do nothing about it.

spoiler[As far as the game aspect goes think back to higurashi when rika kept winding up in different fragments/worlds with different outcomes. Rika had to use hanyuu over a course of 100 plus years to finally break away from fate. Rika finally beat takano at her own game by playing all of her pieces right.]

Umineko is stuck in the same light expect for one thing. Who is Beatrice really?? Does she really exist at this point in time or has she ever existed at all??? The mystery can not be solved with out answering these questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aeriven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review, I'm very much looking forward to reading the manga version of this story myself, seeing as the anime disappointed me in so many ways... Sad

dtm42 wrote:

Let me sum up what Battler's doing a little better here. I am coming into this as a fan of the source material before the anime, so some of this might not have been clear in the anime, but it was in the sound novels:

He's not insisting that magic doesn't exist at all, he's insisting that there's a possibility that his family was murdered the "old-fashioned way" rather than magic. spoiler[I thought the whole "after party" scene with Battler and his cousins made that clear. The cousins are quick to say, "Yep, was a witch," Battler wants to know why they stopped thinking and are so quick to say a witch did it, Beatrice shows up to make him prove to her that the murders were possible without magic, thus starting the whole "meta world" business.]

Battler's original intent may have been to prove that magic doesn't exist, but like Tanteikingdomkey said, that would be impossible. Episode 2 (Turn) establishes that spoiler[it would, in fact, be a Devil's Proof.]
destructivesanctions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
It's both warranted and accurate, at least for EP1, which this is a review of. (Spoiler intended only for those already highly familiar with Umineko) spoiler[Christie and her works are even referenced in-story later on, alongside a handful other influential mysteries. Not to even mention things like Knox and Van Dine, which we're all thoroughly aware of. Wink ]

I'm aware that Christie heavily popularized the traditional murder mystery setting that Umineko uses. What I said is a bit unfair is saying that Umineko relies too much on it. All it does is use traditional mystery set-ups and plot devices, be them Christie's or not, and even during Episode 1 it was obvious it was setting those up to subvert and twist them with the whole witch thing. Saying something relies on something else makes it sound like it's just using those plot devices straight, which this most certainly is not. Even a lot of the basic story aspects are completely original so yeah.

Quote:
Umineko entirely eclipses Higurashi in my eyes, but it didn't even begin to surpass it until after EP5, which is not only far into the series, but beyond the scope of the anime entirely. I think that for the average observer, Umineko is something that gets worse before it gets better. But those parts which felt worse the first time take on an entirely new and meaningful life when revisited with future information, elevating the entire work.

I agree with your first and last statements, but not the middle one. I loved every Episode of Umineko and felt they just got better and better. Episode 2 was better than Episode 1, Episode 3 was better than Episode 2, etc.

dtm42 wrote:

It's true that the anime totally screws up explaining a lot of things and the way DEEN animated stuff gives off some wrong impressions, but Battler's argument against magic is there in the original VN as well. I'll leave this bit out of spoilers because it happened in Episode 1 of the VN, but there it's established that if Battler can prove the murders didn't occur via magic, then Beatrice can't exist. Beatrice acknowledges that her existence is like that, and if she can be disproven then people won't believe and she won't exist.

It goes MUCH deeper than that, and in Episode 3 they even address how Battler can argue that magic doesn't exist when arguing against witches and the like, but yeah. The problem with the anime wasn't that they had Battler say magic didn't exist, it's that they didn't set-up how he can say that in the face of magic.

There is a lot more that can be said on that subject, but it's getting into spoilers and you should probably just read the VNs man.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
The manga is actually a faithful adaptation that tries to do things to please fans and add to the experince of umineko without screwing over the important stuff. and it for the most part works well. I would say the PS3 version (or patched PC version) is best with the original VNs edging out the manga with the anime light years behind all of the other versions.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Is there a reason why Battler insists that the killing was not done with magic? The anime didn't really mention it. Because regardless of magic usage, Battler would still have to catch and bring the killer to justice (as in death by torture).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
destructivesanctions wrote:
This is the review that made me finally join ANN. It was definitely a well written review but I can't help but feel all of the comparisons in it were unfair. Naturally if you have not read the Visual Novels of Umineko, you don't know where the story is going, but the more you keep insisting that this relies too much on Christie is a little unfair. For one thing, as influential Christie has been on the industry she hardly was the first author to invent an isolated murder mystery, and all of Umineko is a heavy subversion of the entire mystery genre. Saying it's not as good as Higurashi is probably something you'll want to retroactively change your feelings on too. Umineko has a MUCH better start than Higurashi, it's just not the kind of start that you can appreciate until later when you realize how perfectly it was setting everything up. Even Episode 2, which people say starts slowly, is vital to setting up very important things. Trust me, once Umineko is over you are going to view Episodes 1 and 2 in completely different ways. Smile

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad my review inspired you to join, even if you didn't always like what I said. Smile

As you may have guessed, I haven't played the VNs or seen the anime, so I'm essentially going into this series-blind. I have taught a couple of courses on mystery fiction, though, which is likely why Christie figures so heavily into my reading of Umineko. You're right that she wasn't the first to do the "isolated mystery" story, but And Then There Were None (originally published under a variety of politically incorrect titles) is the one that seems to live on in public imagination, so that's why I specifically used that title as a comparison point, rather than, say, something by Anna Katherine Green or one of Selma Lagerlof's awesomely scary ghost story/mystery hybrids. (Plus I really did see a lot of similarities...) I'm sure as things go on my opinions will alter accordingly...so just wait for my next review when volume 3 comes out this summer and you can track my growth as an Umineko reader. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3