• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blood-C BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I guess, but seriously...
...but seriously I want to see your list, please. Wink
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I told you, truth to be told I haven't seen that much gory anime because there's not much of it and most of it is old. I have enough anime to watch that's new.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I told you, truth to be told I haven't seen that much gory anime because there's not much of it and most of it is old. I have enough anime to watch that's new.
No luv, you just told me you were telling porky's again. Video games are not anime. Wink
Sleverin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I was seriously having the single worst case of deja vu while reading this...then I noticed that Shelf-Life covered this previously. I was wondering why I had seen this movie review get the exact same treatment on two separate occasions. I'm glad I figured that out, that was bugging the hell out of me.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
MAYBE, MAYBE, if the monsters had done something like...I dunno, rip out a dude's spinal cord and gore him to death on it, THEN maybe I could see someone getting sick over it. But that violence was just plain weak.
But after games like Mad World...forgive for thinking this is a little passe.

Speaking only for myself, the difference is in the execution (*rimshot*).
"Mad World" is more stylized, makes it very clear that the violence is meant to be silly and fun, and you were running around killing a bunch of thugs and monsters. "Blood-C" is not very stylized, the violence doesn't seem to be intended as "fun" (if it is, then they did a poor job getting that across), and it was monsters killing a bunch normal people.

Also, I don't remember "Mad World" having much more guts or other innards than "Blood-C." That sounds more like "God of War III" or something.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
It essentially laughs at anime fandom today, and brutally subverts common tropes in order to do so. It was a brilliant meta-discursive work, and one of the few truly adult anime to come along in a while.

Why yes, I do love Elfen Lied!
D'oh! I meant Higurashi no Naku koro ni.
Oh wait, I meant Ga-Rei Zero.
Er, I mean School Days.

...oh who am I kidding. I love all of them. Twisted Evil

I only watched a few episodes of BLOOD-C when it was broadcast, but it was clear that there was something intentionally awkward between Saya singing to herself like a dork walking to school and the lengthy, brutal Shoggoth slaying that always followed. The fact that there was a meta-narrative point only gives me hope that it was going somewhere all along, and my "Welp, I'll get back to this later" reaction was just a bit hasty.

Hey, even if this is an unwatchable mess it's got to be better than those miserable 50 episodes of BLOOD+.

Chagen46 wrote:
I guess, but seriously...that was pretty weak-sauce violence.

Huh. Weak-sauce compared to what, exactly? Angel Cop? Genocyber? Shigurui? Hokuto no Ken? Kakugo no Susume? Violence Jack? The Machine Girl? Human Centipede 2? The A-Team? You can play the "meh, that's not hardcore..." card if you want, but not mentioning a single title to back it up is pretty weak sauce in its own right.

See, now I'm curious: Can you actually name an anime series from the last decade that you've seen with meticulously animated organs? (Can you name any from the decade before, even?) Bonus points if you don't mention anything I've already mentioned above. I can think of exactly three more titles from the last ten years. If you can think of more, I'm all ears.

Quote:
I don't really go to anime for gore. But after games like Mad World...forgive for thinking this is a little passe.

...'kay? Mad World isn't all that meticulous about its gruesome violence. For one thing, it's a parody of Frank Miller styled "X-Treme!!" American comic culture. For another, the Wii's less than impressive graphics engine can't exactly produce shockingly well rendered gore to start with. I'd argue even the Manhunt games were gorier - well, at least the second game was, before it was neutered by the ESRB. (It sucked either way, which is a shame.)

Hell, I'd argue the Tomb Raider reboot is ten times more viscerally offensive than Mad World. There's a 5 minute bit in Heavy Rain that most people would find more disturbing than the entirety of Mad World, and it involves nothing more than spoiler[a man's pinky finger].

Context. It matters.

PS: And, yes, Cabin in the Woods is a satyrical masterpiece. This coming from someone who's general opinion of Whedon is "Yeah sure, Avengers, Buffy, yadda yadda. You still wrote Alien 4".
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
PS: And, yes, Cabin in the Woods is a satyrical masterpiece.

Let me be nymphatic here: it was a big pile of succubus.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Kakugo wrote:
PS: And, yes, Cabin in the Woods is a satyrical masterpiece.

Let me be nymphatic here: it was a big pile of succubus.

Del Toro'd approve of that Freudian slip, I'm sure. Very Happy

But seriously: spoiler[Unicorn violence.] You win that round, Whedon.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Cabin works better because you know the rules as a horror fan, and you know the current state of horror films isn't ideal. Creativity and unique qualities aren't allowed because they don't fit a formula, so of course it's rednecks or zombies or torture lovers, you're not allowed to have much else.] I don't think Blood-C has anything to say remotely on that level.

And yes, spoiler[that unicorn, my obliques.]
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Hey, even if this is an unwatchable mess it's got to be better than those miserable 50 episodes of BLOOD+.

If truer words have ever been said, I have never read them. Laughing Wink

If nothing else, though, Blood+ did at least give us Louis. And Louis is awesome. Cool
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
See, now I'm curious: Can you actually name an anime series from the last decade that you've seen with meticulously animated organs? (Can you name any from the decade before, even?) Bonus points if you don't mention anything I've already mentioned above. I can think of exactly three more titles from the last ten years. If you can think of more, I'm all ears.

One of those three titles is Gantz, isn't it?
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
I think Blood-C was one of the worst recent acquisitions of mine. When it was all said and done, I found virtually nothing redeeming about the show (art aside).

I know there are worse shows out there but a straight C seems a little kind. I got rid of it within a couple months of getting it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:

Wait, whaaaaaat? Blood+ was way more bearable than this. At least its story was coherent. I'm sorry, but I can't agree with your statement.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
The last thing I want to come across as is a snob, but this needs to be said. If you thought the twist was cheap, revolting and a cop-out, then you have thoroughly missed the point. By lulling us into tedium that is commonplace in 90% of moe dreck today, then ending it in the cruelest way possible, the creators pulled an excellent, brilliant "gotcha!" on the audience. It essentially laughs at anime fandom today, and brutally subverts common tropes in order to do so. It was a brilliant meta-discursive work, and one of the few truly adult anime to come along in a while.

TL; DR. If you expected pretty girls fighting ugly monsters with romance and a cute cast, then the joke was always on you.

So purely sexualized gore is A-OK with you as long as it disturbs a group of people you don't like?
If that gore was sexualized, then I must have missed the point. Last time I checked, seeing characters get brutally bled out, spoiler[townspeople get ground up by giant monsters], and seeing Saya kill monsters in the most brutal fashions possible isn't sexualization.

I'm going to back out of this argument now, though, because as your posts on the forums related to "Free!" has shown, you're impossible to argue with, and imply anybody who disagrees with you is some variation of a misogynist.

Oh, and to answer your question, sexualized gore is never okay with me. Even when it pops up in my personal favorite still-running manga series, "Dance in the Vampire Bund", I get a tad bit revolted.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I'm not sure how anyone would have *ever* thought this would be "moe dreck". I mean, it's part of an established franchise known for being dark and violent. It's not like people thought they were going to be watching K-On or even Girls und Panzer.

Other than the Guro-fetish level of gore in the later episodes, Blood-C's biggest sin was being boring.
Just because there are buckets of gore does not mean that it's being portrayed in a sexual fashion. You don't need to fetishize everything...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7