• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Sentai in Talks Over Former Bandai Entertainment Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
I don't know about this. Isn't this how Pre-Sentai ADV Films got closed down and got into all sorts of legal muckity-muck because they made a deal to get some of the anime? Anyways, Haruhi for Sentai.

ADV was a bloated mess towards the end paying unrealistically high licensing prices for crappy anime then wasting money to dub it. Sentai probably has around 5 employees and outsources everything IIRC.

I honestly can't think of anything I lost when Bandai went under. I kinda wanted to see Gosick but it wasn't a must have title for me. A crest of the stars re release would be great O_O I hate my Bandai brick sets.

If I were a huge fan of these shows i personally would be rooting for sentai to get a majority of them. The last time Funi license rescued titles (RIP Geneon)it took them FOREVER to release them. Ai Yori Aoshi was announced in 2010 and we didn't see a release until mid 2012.,.. Pretty boxes are nice and all but they won't make or break my purchasing decision.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
it only took forever because of Geneon's merger. they didn't send over any of the materials funimation needed to start working on the Geneon shows until after it was finished
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Since its Sunrise, they're probably referring to the Gundam shows that were owned by Bandai. But regardless, these are amazing news! I also hope that the license for other shows get transferred to funi or sentai completely (maybe we could get a re-release of some shows on BD like haruhi, cowboy bebop, geass, gundam 00/seed/destiny, a complete collection for kurokami and other stuff)
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
I do recall FUNimation having a survey last year and one of the questions asked which titles people wanted the most to get licensed. Gosick was one of the choices.
jree78

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It seems Sunrise is developing a US presence on their own, but unlike Aniplex USA, will be distributing titles through other companies. Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually set up a full US branch.

Yeah that was called Bandai Entertainment, but Namco Bandai decided to shut them down. Since Namco Bandai owns Sunrise it would be hard for them to open a new branch. Unless Aniplex USA is showing them the way.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
K-On! is a TBS title, so Sunrise will have no say over where it ends up. Given that it's TBS and Sentai has the second season and movie, they will almost certainly end up with Season one at some point. Hopefully they can release it on bluray with lossless audio, like they did for season two (and unlike the lossy Audio on Bandai's release.)

Lucky Star and Haruhi are Kadokowa titles, so one again Sunrise will have no say over where they go. Both Sentai and Funimation license titles from them now, so they could go to either. Given the Kyoto Animation connection, it seems that Sentai would probably want the series more. Plus, if Funi acquired Lucky Star, it would almost undoubtedly leave the OVA sub-only as they've done with other series like Vandread.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the various shows. Sentai has been teasing about a big announcement at Anime Expo and Funimation has been fairly quiet this year. I gess we will see.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Please, for the love of god, will somebody remember to bring us some Votoms? Preferably on Blu-ray.

Sentai? Diskotech? Rightstuf? Anybody??

Maybe Discotek, but that show is beyond what FUNi or Sentai do.

While Discotech would probably the right home for the original series and its OVAs. I could totally see Maiden Japan, or even Sentai, releasing Shinning Heresy, Phantom Arc, and Alone Again.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and Eureka Seven for Funimation!! (Especially the latter, as I want it ever more as of recent!)
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
.//hack series
Angel Tales
G-Gundam

Galaxy Angel series (MUCH needed anime to be released in US again)
My-Hime series (as well as My-Otome)
Pilot Candidate
Please Teacher
Please Twins
s-CRY-ed
Sola
Stratos 4

The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (THIS TIME, do the UNCUT version)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Wolf's Rain

Please correct me if I made mistake on the lists above.

Man, Those are the anime I needed (or to be correct, wanted) get, but they're long gone and are too expensive to purchase online.
IInuYasha

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
I could see Funimation getting Code Geass and Bebop off of the top of my head.

I'm doubting that they'll pick up any of the Gundam series. They don't seem to be too crazy about long running series... besides Fairy Tail and One Piece at least. Or maybe it's just the fact that Viz gets all of the bigger series first? One or the other.

Sentai could get Wolf's Rain and some of the Gundam series though. I could see them doing their usual barebones releases with some of them, lol.

I'm kind of disappointed that Code Geass may get re-released by one of them though. I just spent about $150 or so buying all of the OOP Bandai releases off of Amazon back in March.
Khooni

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
I miss ADV (the only company that was willing to dub extreme titles like Gantz). Are there any non-dubbed titles like Gosick/nichijou?
kawaiirunner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
I just hope one of them releases Escaflowne on BD. Preferably in a nice neat little package. Or a pretty one that won't cost an arm and a leg like the Japanese import.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
Wakazhi wrote:
If Funimation gets Cowboy Bebop, I hope they can release an awesome DVD/BD boxset similar to their LE boxset of Lain. Definitely worth the $54 from rightstuf if that happens.

That would be awesome. It deserves an awesome box.

Cyclone1993 wrote:
I know Funimation will get Eureka Seven, especially since they have AO. I've been wanting to get Scrapped Princess for quite awhile, so I hope it gets picked up, but I don't think it will be an immediate pick up. Haruhi Suzumiya I feel will go to Sentai.

Really liked Scrapped Princess (except for one part). Yeah on Eureka Seven.

Would love a nice decent upscale Eureka Seven set to re-watch the dub again which I could see Funi doing since there was a Japanese BD re-release (no idea how the video was on that though).

mdo7 wrote:
This is awesome!!! I think Funimation should pick up Cowboy Bebop (the past ANNcast with Justin Cook said that Funimation would rescue Cowboy Bebop if anything happen to Bandai, and this look like the case and it could be true). Also I think they should pick up the whole Gundam series:

-all the UC Gundam series (I want Zeta Gundam to be redub, and if they can get ZZ Gundam and Victory Gundam that would be awesome)
-Gundam Wing (keep the original dub and give it a HD makeover for a blu-ray release)
-Turn A Gundam (that series need to be rescue, if Funimation dub it can we get Annika Odegard from DW: Gundam 1 and 2 to reprise as Loren Coheck for the dub and if they can't, can Cherami Leigh or Alexis Tipton voice Loren).
Gundam X (would be a awesome acquisition pick up if Funimation and Bandai and Sunrise negotiate for it)

Yes, I would like to see Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 series rescue by Funimation. I think The Big O should be given to Funimation (I don't mind Sentai get it, but I think Funimation should be given more mecha anime).

I think Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, and the first season of K-ON should be given to Sentai.

That would be awesome, they also have one of the larger pools of VAs I think which would help with something like Gundam (and going forward for new ones) with the amount of characters they all have.

Would love to finally get Gundam X and Turn A and a HD remastered Wing.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
FPS, the Nichijou license can't go to Funi because Bandai no longer has it. Nichijou's been up for grabs but nobody wants it. And for good reason, it was a major bomb in Japan, and it's no Cowboy Bebop to do that good in the US.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it only took forever because of Geneon's merger. they didn't send over any of the materials funimation needed to start working on the Geneon shows until after it was finished

wrote:
The merger closed on February 1, 2009. The new company is named Geneon Universal Entertainment Japan.[14]

Is this STILL getting passed around? lol Had nothing to do with the merger, Funimation is just slow

mdo7 wrote:
Yes but Funimation managed to get Ocean to dub Black Lagoon OVA. So if Funimation can managed to get Black Lagoon OVA dub, then I think they can get Ocean to dub Turn A Gundam.

That also didn't stop them from NOT getting back the casts for Tenchi, or Shana, or Trigun.... The fact they got back the Black Lagoon cast probably has everything to do with the fact it's so short and the Vancouver people already work for close to nothing, but I bet Funimation thinks they live pretty dangerously financially for doing that Rolling Eyes

Tenbyakugon wrote:
Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and Eureka Seven for Funimation!! (Especially the latter, as I want it ever more as of recent!)

I imagine thats what they will try and do, throw all their budget at the big guns, but I'm perfectly ok with that (Well not so much Bebop), but it means that titles like S-cry-Ed, Wolf's Rain, and others will probably go to Sentai. We also have to remember here that not all of these titles are going to be "licensed" (Most of the ones by Sunrise) they are merely going into distribution agreements, so honestly, I think whats going to happen is, Gundam, Outlaw Star, and so on will get reprinted under a Sunrise label, with a small Funimation logo on the back or corner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8