• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime At The Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

On another topic—for more on Jerry Beck's experience with Streamline Pictures, see "Anime: Hollywood's Invisible Animation Genre" from Animation World Magazine August 1996 Volume 1 - No. 5. (That issue is a gift that has just kept on giving to me—I keep referring back to it, ever since I found it.)

That's a nice snapshot of the state of anime circa 1996.
Very interesting how things changed, how things remained the same.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw Eva 2.0 and Summer Wars 2 months ago. I had good time seeing anime on the big screen. In the past I've seen Ghost in the Shell 2, Howl's Moving Castle, and the first 3 Pokemon movies.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you start digging through old movie posters, you'll notice this - some local handbills and promotional material will explicitly mention that the showings are "MATINEE ONLY... SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!"

Hence the term "Kiddie Matinee"!

I feel I missed out greatly on this period myself. I can see where Mike's coming from here.

Also, reading up on the "Animation Celebration" and how they stuck Robotech after Brave Little Toaster gives me interest to look back at the very first issue of "Animation Magazine" again!

I do think the one thing I miss out of the whole movie-going experience is the switch to digital projection itself. It just doesn't work for me.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zenador wrote:

In general I have to agree with the article in that watching anime at the theater is a completely different, and better, experience..

That applies to most movies, except for the really obnoxious ones. Ever watch Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm? Heck even 35mm will make you question why you would ever watch the film at home in the first place.

As for anime, a lot of anime films are such underrated visual treats that, couple with its rarity in theatres, makes them almost a must-see on the big screen. The only anime films that disappointed me on the big screen were the Eva movies, because so much of the visuals were still steeped in the TV storyboards and TV-range compositions (as nice as they were on TV).

I would have loved to see Perfect Blue on the big screen, preferably at a late night screening. Great theatrical quality compositions, disorienting, claustrophobic camera work--Kon was great at composing images that took advantage of the big screen.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Zenador wrote:

In general I have to agree with the article in that watching anime at the theater is a completely different, and better, experience..

That applies to most movies, except for the really obnoxious ones. Ever watch Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm? Heck even 35mm will make you question why you would ever watch the film at home in the first place.

This was why I felt the cinema experience should not be compensated too much the way these new digital projection things are being adopted.

Quote:
As for anime, a lot of anime films are such underrated visual treats that, couple with its rarity in theatres, makes them almost a must-see on the big screen. The only anime films that disappointed me on the big screen were the Eva movies, because so much of the visuals were still steeped in the TV storyboards and TV-range compositions (as nice as they were on TV).

Interesting if that was the case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3